• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#141 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

So you only complain when the status quo agrees with you? Kind of pointless to post on a message board if you're afraid to share your opinion, even if it conflicts with popular opinion.

I just don't remember any of you guys talking about how useless enforcers are when they were in our lineup. You only do it after the fact, and when others agree with you.

Where did I complain? :unsure:
*this space for rent*

#142 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Aaron Downey would kick our asses in a Boggle tournament.

#143 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

Hopefully someone gives him a chance. Carolina doesn't really have an "enforcer". The closest they have is Tom Kostopoulos :ph34r:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#144 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

8 pages on the release of Downey? He was a crappy hockey player and a mediocre enforcer on a puck possession team... We have no need for a player like him. I'm glad he is not wasting valuable ice time that a younger player could use.

#145 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

Who needs enforcers? Franzen, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg are completely invincible to cheapshots.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#146 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

Who needs enforcers? Franzen, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg are completely invincible to cheapshots.

Downey would NEVER be on the ice with either of the above players. Hard to enforce anything for them from the bench! I'm all for a player who can drop the gloves and defend himself and his teammates but has to be able to play some hockey as well.

#147 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

When you've got guys like Downey on your team, opposing players think twice about throwing cheapshots. I agree with you in the sense that a guy that can do a little bit of everything would be ideal.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#148 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

When you've got guys like Downey on your team, opposing players think twice about throwing cheapshots. I agree with you in the sense that a guy that can do a little bit of everything would be ideal.

Giving that ice time to Abbie will be much more effective and beneficial to Abbie and the team... he can skate, likes to hit, will drop the gloves and can add some scoring now and then.

#149 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:36 PM

In my opinion, Abdelkader needs to focus on developing his offensive game. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight here and there, but he's got too much potential to be a career 4th line player. Leave the enforcing to someone else, you know?

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#150 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

Downey would NEVER be on the ice with either of the above players. Hard to enforce anything for them from the bench! I'm all for a player who can drop the gloves and defend himself and his teammates but has to be able to play some hockey as well.

Change on the fly...Closest guy to the bench gets off the ice, the "tuff guy" jumps on, and goes after the opponent causing trouble.

Giving that ice time to Abbie will be much more effective and beneficial to Abbie and the team... he can skate, likes to hit, will drop the gloves and can add some scoring now and then.

I honestly don't see Abby having much of a role as a fighter in the NHL; not that I don't mind his efforts - just that the few I've seen him in he doesn't appear cut out for it.

In my opinion, Abdelkader needs to focus on developing his offensive game. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight here and there, but he's got too much potential to be a career 4th line player. Leave the enforcing to someone else, you know?

Abby to me seems more or less a bigger version of Cleary.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#151 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

I'm not arguing that what you are stating is always false, but Brooks Orpik threw a cheapshot at Franzen a week ago and Downey was dressed that night. Sure, Bertuzzi defended Franzen after but having Downey around didn't cause Orpik to think twice. It's like the Laraque on Kronwall argument from last season - Laraque was going to stick his knee out regardless of the consequences to follow. Cheapshots are going to happen in the game.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#152 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

I'm not saying Abby's got all star potential, I'm just saying I think he could be a solid 2 way 3rd line center.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#153 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

I'm not arguing that what you are stating is always false, but Brooks Orpik threw a cheapshot at Franzen a week ago and Downey was dressed that night. Sure, Bertuzzi defended Franzen after but having Downey around didn't cause Orpik to think twice. It's like the Laraque on Kronwall argument from last season - Laraque was going to stick his knee out regardless of the consequences to follow. Cheapshots are going to happen in the game.

Part of the issue may lie in the fact that our beloved Red Wings are 1 of the least penalised teams which may boost the bravado in some of our opponents.

Dunno if Oprik would feel as confident running a guy on the Flyers, or Maple Leafs.

#154 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

Agree'd Abbie does need some work on his offensive game but his physical game could use some strengthening also... He likes to hit and will fight at times but both of those area's for him could use improvement as well. No better way for that then playing. If Downey is in someone has to be out.... who would you see out over Downey honestly?

#155 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:03 PM

8 pages on the release of Downey? He was a crappy hockey player and a mediocre enforcer on a puck possession team... We have no need for a player like him. I'm glad he is not wasting valuable ice time that a younger player could use.

Anti-enforcer post alert. :siren:

BTW, to add to your list, Downey was a horrible person who punched babies and strangled elderly women.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#156 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

I think an "enforcer" (at least for this year) could be sparingly used in games against more physical teams: Anaheim, Vancouver, Calgary, St.Louis, etc. Hopefully in the near future we will have at least one guy that can play some hockey and take on the role of "enforcer", like Mitchell Callahan.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#157 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:14 PM

This is exactly what I mean.

Where were these posts when Downey was in the lineup? Did the cat get your tongue then?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#158 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

Part of the issue may lie in the fact that our beloved Red Wings are 1 of the least penalised teams which may boost the bravado in some of our opponents.

Dunno if Oprik would feel as confident running a guy on the Flyers, or Maple Leafs.

Let's not get into silly speculation, now.

Posted Image

#159 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

I'm not saying Abby's got all star potential, I'm just saying I think he could be a solid 2 way 3rd line center.

So you're saying that it'd best if he wasn't a solid two-way center who would also fight? Wouldn't you rather have it all in one package, just like we had with McCarty, or would it be better to waste a roster spot on an enforcer who can fight but is unable to contribute anything else? Do you think at all before you post?

Edited by Crymson, 30 September 2010 - 11:25 PM.

#160 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:23 AM

Let's not get into silly speculation, now.

Hey - it's what I do best!