• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Pronger falls victim to "Avery Rule"

Rate this topic

prongeraveryrule.jpg

The Flyers had a point stolen from them by the Flames after Pronger, doing his best Holmstrom impression, stood in front of Kiprusoff. He then briefly stuck his hand out for about two seconds to block Kipper's view, and then the Flyers scored. Goal waived off and Pronger assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Flames later go on to win in the shootout. Why was this the wrong call?

"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

Pronger wasn't facing Kipper. The Flames commentators said the call was very "gutsy", which probably means it wasn't the right one to make.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

I agree that the description of the call is crap, but I think it was right of them to take the goal back. Blocking the goalie with ones body or stick is one thing (while facing away from the goalie), but sticking your hand out to block a goalies view is stupid IMO.

Guest Stolberg

I agree that the description of the call is crap, but I think it was right of them to take the goal back. Blocking the goalie with ones body or stick is one thing (while facing away from the goalie), but sticking your hand out to block a goalies view is stupid IMO.

how is using your torso to block a goalie's view any different than a hand?

because one is pretty difficult and requires you maintain having your body outside of the crease, whereas if you're allowed to use your hand, you could reach and put it just in front of the goaltenders face, essentially turning it into a childish battle of "i'm not touching you!"

As for the Pronger call, I have mixed feelings. By the letter of the rule it was the wrong call. But it was still kind of in the spirit of the rule.

I still would've loved to have Pronger on the Wings, but he is really getting weird in his old age out there in Philly. Stealing pucks, now the hand thing...

I feel like the difference between the two is a thin line, but relates to being a product of play. Homer, for example, is camped in front with the intent of deflecting a puck. Don't get me wrong, obstructing the goalie's view is definitely helpful - it's not his sole intent but more so a product of what he's trying to do. In the instance of the Avery rule, in this case Pronger, his only purpose is to block the goalie's view.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it boils down to intentional vs. incidental.

because one is pretty difficult and requires you maintain having your body outside of the crease, whereas if you're allowed to use your hand, you could reach and put it just in front of the goaltenders face, essentially turning it into a childish battle of "i'm not touching you!"

As for the Pronger call, I have mixed feelings. By the letter of the rule it was the wrong call. But it was still kind of in the spirit of the rule.

I still would've loved to have Pronger on the Wings, but he is really getting weird in his old age out there in Philly. Stealing pucks, now the hand thing...

No word if he stole the puck in this one, though :lol:

Guest Heaten

Flyer fans are stomping their feet and crying like babies after that call. I think it was the right call; it was unsportsmanship. Just because it isn't written in detail in the rule book doesn't mean it's not a penalty.

Is there anything in the rulebook that says players can't take their gloves off and pass 6 gloves around the ice like a puck to confuse the goalie where the puck actually is? No. Does that mean that players should be allowed to employ that tactic because it's not written? No.

Its unsportsman and cheating. Pronger tried to cheat, he got caught. Good call by the ref.

Edited by Heaten

You guys are nuts. Clearly ACCORDING TO THE RULE BOOK, that was the wrong call. You are all whining and calling foul ONLY because its Pronger and you all hate him. Don't let your biases cloud the fact that what he did was clearly within the rules 100%. I'm pretty sure he was the one to tip the pass too, its not like he was just gooning it up like Avery.

Seems like you are all whining without actually having seen the video. His hand is up for less than 1 second, nothing even remotely similar to what Avery did.

Just because you hate Pronger doesn't make it the right call.

Putting your hand in front of the goalie's view like that is bus©h league. Good call. We have to draw the line here. You can stand in front but waving is ridiculous. It's goaltender interference: that's why Kipper was hacking away like that--I don't blame him. I stood to gain in my fantasy league if that goal counted but I just think we can't tolerate this crap.

I too have mixed feeling. the call seems to be incorrect if you take the rule literally (which should be the basic way of resolving calls), yet it is 100% within the intent of the rule. so it's pretty much question of correcting the wording in rule book.

on the other hand... it's not like Pronger did mess a lot. it's rather a brief moment and it doesn't by far remind Avery's antics.

at the end of the day... it did ultimately cost me one point in weekend picks, but I can live with it. seen much worse calls, and I don't even have to think of O'Halloran or Don VanCouver to come with some ideas ;) not even to mention the one and only Magoo :scared:

seeing the replay it looks like a pretty lame call.

Kipper couldn't see the shot because he was busy hacking Pronger in the back of the leg, not because Pronger's hand was in his face.

Yep, the replay doesn't lie.

If Kipper had been paying attention to the puck instead of hacking Pronger, he would have been able to see the shot coming.