No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Kyle Quincey

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

I'd like to begin with an image:

quincey.png

If any are wondering, this image lists Quincey along with all those on the Avalanche who are below him on the points list. That's right---he ranks just above Peter Budaj.

Those of my friends who are fans of the Avalanche are presently calling for Quincey's head. He is being called all manner of bad things, he recently spent 16 days in the doghouse, and he is apparently in danger of being pushed out of the defense rotation entirely once Foote returns; the Avalanche have several defense prospects who are NHL-ready, and Quincey is having a comically bad season after receiving such a bloated contract.

Call this post what you will, but yeesh---I've never seen a hockey player have such an awful start after receiving a contract that was, in fact, even bigger than he really deserved.

wow, a trolling thread from Crymson regarding Quincey. I'm shocked.

still trying to absolve Red Wings management of any responsibility for losing him for nothing?

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Luckily they made the right choice and we've still got Lebda and Meech as key components of our defensive corps.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest Crymson

still trying to absolve Red Wings management of any responsibility for losing him for nothing?

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Yes. Jimmy D and Kenny hired me to convince everyone here that they had no responsibility. They fear for their jobs when such people as you have grievances towards them.

Edited by Crymson

Yes. Jimmy D and Kenny hired me to convince everyone here that they had no responsibility. They fear for their jobs when such people as you have grievances towards them.

I actually have no grievance with them. Overall Holland and Jimmy D are the best in the business. It's just funny that you have this weird obsession with explaining away one of their few missteps.

It's great to hear you're getting paid for it! Otherwise it would just be kind of sad.

Guest Crymson

I actually have no grievance with them. Overall Holland and Jimmy D are the best in the business. It's just funny that you have this weird obsession with explaining away one of their few missteps.

It's great to hear you're getting paid for it! Otherwise it would just be kind of sad.

It's definitely a nice pocket-liner. Thank you for your deep interest in this matter.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Crymson

I guess he is having a terrible season, but I still wish we kept him over Meech and Lebda.

For $3m per year?

I'm guessing the whole point of this thread is to blow Holland and to make fun of the posters who wanted Quincey to stay.

However, Holland didn't exactly hit a home run by keeping someone like Lebda and Meech, who haven't amounted to anything themselves. And the jury is still out on Ericsson. Point is, Holland makes mistakes too, even if you think Quincey is some overrated bust who we were better off letting go.

Didn't Holland say something along the lines off, that he did it to let Kyle get more time, to give him a chance to be an every day player?

I mean don't get me wrong, I would have kept Quincey over Lebda every day of the week, however I thought it was a doing it to let Kyle get more minutes elsewhere.

I could be wrong though.

i'll accept this thread simply because if quincey was third in defense points right now, there would be threads about how bad the management had f***ed up letting him go. you can't judge the quality of a decision like this until further down the road. obviously, this isn't the end of the story, but i think it's an important plot point as we weigh the decision as it happened.

This.

Now (I'll repeat NOW) at present time, would I like Quincey over Meech or Lebda? Without question.

However, back at the time around when it was close to his time being up, he didn't do enough to separate himself from Lebda and Meech for one of those final or first reserve defensive spots/a permanent roster spot, whether it was fair or not with other factors (i.e. his decent playoff performance as a rookie). Sure, you could also always throw in that Chelios was holding up a roster spot when he was close to retiring, but I'm not going to pull my hair out over that. If management thought Chelios couldn't produce back then, they wouldn't have re-signed him.

In retrospect this didn't completely work out, depending on how you want to look at it. Is it as bad as some people are wanting to portray. Not really in my mind. Sometimes you take chances on fringe roster spots or trades or whatever that workout, and some don't.

Could management have performed better regarding this? Maybe, but it's nothing to lose sleep over or worth wasting time trying to figure out as there are no clear cut right/wrong answers here. If you are all about youth and wanting prospects more time, you're probably going to be pissed off about him getting traded. If you were accepting the fact that he was probably going to be no more than a 6th, 7th, 8th d-man (not saying that that was what he was going to be, just throwing vantage points out there), you might've been disappointed he left, but would've gotten over it soon after.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I'd like to begin with an image:

quincey.png

If any are wondering, this image lists Quincey along with all those on the Avalanche who are below him on the points list. That's right---he ranks just above Peter Budaj.

Those of my friends who are fans of the Avalanche are presently calling for Quincey's head. He is being called all manner of bad things, he recently spent 16 days in the doghouse, and he is apparently in danger of being pushed out of the defense rotation entirely once Foote returns; the Avalanche have several defense prospects who are NHL-ready, and Quincey is having a comically bad season after receiving such a bloated contract.

Call this post what you will, but yeesh---I've never seen a hockey player have such an awful start after receiving a contract that was, in fact, even bigger than he really deserved.

He's sucked this season, but how about getting facts straight?

He was out 16 days with CONCUSSION.

He's sucked this season, but how about getting facts straight?

He was out 16 days with CONCUSSION.

Shhh, why let facts get in the way?

Crymson said he's never seen a hockey player have such an awful start after receiving a contract that was bigger than deserved, so we have to assume he started watching hockey only seconds before creating this thread.

Why are people still so obsessed with Quincey? He wasn't that great when he was here. He's had a couple decent seasons and now he's off to a s***ty start. Why do people lament the loss of this mediocre/slightly above average player more than the slew of other mediocre/slightly above average players the Wings have parted ways with?

He wasn't awesome when he was here. He was decent after he left.

New reclamation project... lets go after Quincey and see if the Wings management can reincarnate him back into a mediocre player. Get it done Kenny!

Quincey was a depth defenseman who had one decent year in LA and a pretty good one in Colorado.

It was the most minuscule of missteps in Wings management and isn't even worth mentioning. It was practically irrelevant.

Doc, there is one problem with your statement.

Quincey is a good player, but it wasn't a misstep. He did nothing in his entire career as a Griffin to outperform Derek Meech, who was his AHL teammate in 05-06 and 06-07. Meech earned a spot on the Wings' roster in 07-08 as the 7th defenseman, beating out teammate Quincey. In 08-09, Quincey, Meech, Lebda, and Chelios were all competing for the final three spots to fill out an eight man defensive unit. Quincey was unable to earn a spot ahead of the others.

As for the "I let him go to give him more playing time" stuff. I have heard people say "Holland said this" but never seen it sourced, and I don't believe it for a second. Holland is not one to simply let other teams take his assets. And if he believed Quincey to be better than Lebda and Meech at the time, then one of those two would have been gone.

Now you ask what exactly I mean when I say it wasn't a misstep? Kyle Quincey plays 20 minutes a game and has since LA.. Brett Lebda played 14-16 minutes as a Red Wing. Lebda also didn't play much on the power play, which Quincey does, and did in LA. Why is this important, you ask? Quincey's offensive production is only slightly better than Lebda's was at the same age. Quincey is a much better defensive defenseman than Lebda, but in comparison to Meech he was never significantly better defensively.

Ultimately Quincey might be in the same situation as Meech is right now if their roles had been reversed.

Quincey sucked hardcore while he was here. he was an average 6th DMan in the playoffs one time. That was it. This was not a misstep. He was a primadonna while he was here and as soon as he was relieved of his time in Detroit he started trying harder.