• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

I found this article on NHL.com, its their top five captains of all time. Really its something we all know but it's always good to see Stevie on these lists. They five players are not ranked in any particular order.
Bleacher Report
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

Scott Stevens should have been there. So should Bobby Clarke. I'd take Gretzky out and probably Sakic.

Can't argue with Yzerman, Beliveau and Messier. They should be on anyone's top 5.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

Scott Stevens should have been there. So should Bobby Clarke. I'd take Gretzky out and probably Sakic.

Can't argue with Yzerman, Beliveau and Messier. They should be on anyone's top 5.

Good choices - I'd probably bump Messier though. Most of these guys became better leaders with age, while Messier literally became a 'bad' captain - demanding too much ice-time, causing division in locker rooms and just believing all his own hype.

Potvin is another guy I consider.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#4 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

Stevens and Yzerman were the definitions of a captain. They'd sacrifice ANYTHING to help the team win, great locker room guys. They both had a way with words and knew when to speak up.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#5 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

Call me crazy, but I think all this Messier talk as being such a great leader is a little overrated. I don't think he'd be in the conversation if the 1994 Rangers didn't win. There's to much attention on one year.

Just my opinion.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#6 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Call me crazy, but I think all this Messier talk as being such a great leader is a little overrated. I don't think he'd be in the conversation if the 1994 Rangers didn't win. There's to much attention on one year.

Just my opinion.

No, I think you're absolutely right.

#7 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

He's not in the top 5, but who I've always had a lot of respect for is Trevor Linden
IPB Image

#8 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Bleacher Report is just a giant collection of amateur blogs? Legitimate (if you can still even call them that...) are bad enough, but some of the blogs on that site are just dripping with stupidity; armchair drivel at its best. I'm fine with the idea of people having a blog and a voice, but I think it gets fuzzy when they start trying to pass themselves off as proper journalists when they blatantly are not beholden to the same standards of integrity and accuracy.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#9 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

No, I think you're absolutely right.

One of my cousins is a Canucks fan. Messier's 3 years in Vancouver, according to my cousin, was a complete joke. They hate him out there.

egroen mentioned Messier's ice time at the end of his career. I've heard he hurt the development of some of the Rangers young players because he wanted first line minutes.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#10 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

f*** Bobby Clarke. He was a highly skilled player on a stacked team protected by goons, but good captain? Good captains don't do things like this unprovoked in friendly exhibition games against obviously undermatched teams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bHJj7avd4

My choices (no order) would be:

Steve Yzerman
Maurice Richard
Jean Beliveau
Joe Sakic
George Armstrong
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#11 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

Good choices - I'd probably bump Messier though. Most of these guys became better leaders with age, while Messier literally became a 'bad' captain - demanding too much ice-time, causing division in locker rooms and just believing all his own hype.

Potvin is another guy I consider.

These guys get it. :thumbup:
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#12 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

1.Luongo
2.Luongo
3.Luongo
4.Luongo
5.Luongo
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#13 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

Gretzky was a good player but I have never looked at him as a leader. If he was not as good of a player as he was there is absolutely no way he would have had the C. I have always thought Messier was pretty overrated as a captain also. Those two need to be bumped off the list. Someone said Stevens should be on there, I agree with that for sure. There are a lot of guys I would consider over Gretzky and Messier.

Edited by cjm502, 15 February 2011 - 07:09 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

f*** Bobby Clarke. He was a highly skilled player on a stacked team protected by goons, but good captain? Good captains don't do things like this unprovoked in friendly exhibition games against obviously undermatched teams:

As a 14 year old I played against Clarke in an exhibition game when he was in his prime with the Flyers. I'm surprised he didn't do that to me. He sure as s*** high sticked and speared me. You've got to understand that he just doesn't care. If he was on the ice it was all personal and he had to win no matter who he was playing against. That's part of being a good leader in my opinion.

Edited by Chairman Maouth, 15 February 2011 - 08:09 PM.

It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#15 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

No love for Mats Sundin? Seeing as how I can never limit myself to 5 of anything, my list would be 7-10 long and Sundin would be in there.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#16 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

My choices (no order) would be:

Steve Yzerman
Maurice Richard
Jean Beliveau
Joe Sakic
George Armstrong

I hate Clarke more than anyone here, but I won't discredit his reputation as a leader for that franchise.

He was the heart and soul of those Flyers teams, and not just their best player.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#17 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

No love for Mats Sundin? Seeing as how I can never limit myself to 5 of anything, my list would be 7-10 long and Sundin would be in there.

Thats one person I would have over Gretzky and Messier.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

No Toews? WTF!

Posted Image

#19 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:27 PM

How come no one has mentioned Bourque? He was definitely one of the greatest leaders in the history of a very very storied franchise. Amazing player too I might add.

NOTE: I can't open this website on my computer for whatever reason so not too sure if it is on bleacherreports list. Just haven't seen a single person mention him on here yet.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#20 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Bleacher Report is just a giant collection of amateur blogs? Legitimate (if you can still even call them that...) are bad enough, but some of the blogs on that site are just dripping with stupidity; armchair drivel at its best. I'm fine with the idea of people having a blog and a voice, but I think it gets fuzzy when they start trying to pass themselves off as proper journalists when they blatantly are not beholden to the same standards of integrity and accuracy.

I'm with you; I used to read Bleacher Report "articles" now and again, but stopped when I realized I pretty much had to rant at the stupidity of the authors after almost everything I read on there.

There are hidden gems, but frankly most of the crap over there is just that: crap.