Octopus Twirling in Tampa Bay?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 pashaforprez01

pashaforprez01

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

Did anyone see that crew member of the Lightning twirl the octopus in the air as he was taking it off the ice. It happened right after the second Datsyuk goal. I am posting the NHL.com feed so you can fast forward to it. I couldn't find it on YouTube.

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neuli...nter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20102011,2,865&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com...getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neuli...nter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20102011,2,865&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Is this dude a Wings fan or something? More power to him.

Sorry that the embedded link didn't work. Gonna have to go to NHL.com to see it. Trust me it's worth it.

#2 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

I need the real link

Edited by evilzyme, 18 February 2011 - 10:51 AM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#3 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

They should be fined and required to not perform such acts!!!!

It gets goo on the ice!

I did notice that the Florida fans haven't caught on to boiling it beforehand.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 18 February 2011 - 10:55 AM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#4 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

Posted Image
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#5 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

lmao is this guy serious? tampa fans/mgmt must have been pissed! way to cheer for the visiting team guy.

oh well its his problem now. GO WINGS!
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#6 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Look in the background, he was trying to appease the hometown fans :P
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#7 martyrme19

martyrme19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Uh oh - I remember when i asked about where to find an octopus when I attended a game earlier this year....and the lgw police informed me that this tradition is ONLY reserved for playoffs and very rare big games on occassion. I mean, I didnt know - I had no idea. Luckily I was informed. These poor fans in Tampa unfortunately don't have the benefit of being a member of such a superior internet fan base that no one was there to tell them the proper way of being a Red Wings fan. Can we get a facial picture of the fans who threw the octopi and perhaps use google picasa technology to find out where they live so that we can better inform them?
Just for the record, the weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of rain.

#8 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Uh oh - I remember when i asked about where to find an octopus when I attended a game earlier this year....and the lgw police informed me that this tradition is ONLY reserved for playoffs and very rare big games on occassion. I mean, I didnt know - I had no idea. Luckily I was informed. These poor fans in Tampa unfortunately don't have the benefit of being a member of such a superior internet fan base that no one was there to tell them the proper way of being a Red Wings fan. Can we get a facial picture of the fans who threw the octopi and perhaps use google picasa technology to find out where they live so that we can better inform them?

what? i think this thread is talking about the Tampa Bay worker who picked the octo up and twisted it around his head like a helicopter. not the fans that threw it. unless i miss read your post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzWCofEJVMo

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 18 February 2011 - 12:49 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#9 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

Posted Image

lmao i saw it on the ice but i didn't know the guy was twirling it wtf lol. Add that to how loud the Wings fans there were it was virtually a home game being played in Florida. Love it.

Edited by Original-Six, 18 February 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#10 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

While it is indeed true that throwing octopi is reserved for "special occasions," I believe this particular fan was just giving Stevie Y his chance to see an octopi this year. :)
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#11 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,743 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

Were it not for the Stevie factor, I would not be happy with the throwing of the Octopus outside of the playoffs. Even so, it's still iffy.

The twirling, on the other hand, is hilarious.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#12 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

I wish there was a shot of Steve in one of the luxury boxes watching that. I hoped he enjoyed it as much as the Wings fans did. I just think it's awesome the guy twirled it over his head. Al's heir apparent, maybe?

I do agree that the throwing of the 'pi should not happen outside of the playoffs, but considering our connection to the Lightning, an exception could be made this one time.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#13 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

Screw the playoff thing, throw that sucker any chance you get when on the road. But only throw it after a goal, as long as that goal puts us at a tie or lead or pads our lead. Just never throw it before or during the national anthem. After the national anthem is ok.

I do agree that special occasions at home, non playoff games, but away games are always fair games.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#14 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

Just a midseason home game in Florida. Nice and relaxing for the guys. Just classic to see all that pasty pale Swedes with their white rings from their tan lines. Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#15 YMHC

YMHC

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

http://www.facebook.....46928405366729
Quote:

On behalf of the Lightning Ice Crew, I'd like to 1st and foremost thank each and every fan that we have that come out game in/game out to support our team. We are blessed with the amazing opportunity to work for a world class organization for the best sport in the world. All of us on the Ice Crew take our job very seriously and wish to portray the lightning with the utmost standard.

As for last nights events with a member of the Ice Crew and the octopus, is a mistake. The employee who did that, thought of it nothing more than a hockey tradition. It wasn't meant as a insult to the lightning team or organization. He was misinformed and appologized as soon as he realized what was done.

After speaking with the individual after the event he is more embarrassed and ashamed than anything. He in no way meant to disrespect the team, the coaches, fans or employees.

At this point the Lightning will handle the incident the best way that they see fit.

We look forward to Saturday night for the lightning to take on the Panthers and get back into the winning ways.

Thank you very much-

Ice Crew Member

:)
Posted Image

#16 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

lmao is this guy serious? tampa fans/mgmt must have been pissed! way to cheer for the visiting team guy.

at that point it had to be about 98 % wings fans in the crowd
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#17 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

So was the organization fined as promised for twirling octopi on the ice?

#18 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 860 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

Maybe this guy was just clueless. "Hey, someone threw seafood on the ice. Hey, our team plays close to the ocean where this little fella lives. They must have thrown this octopus for the Bolts" *proceeds to twirl said octopus*

On the other hand, if this guy really is a Wings fan that happens to work at the stadium, I'd like to buy that man a beer. He's got balls!

Well, if you live in Florida and only get to see the Wings live once a year, it's a big game for you. Throw that octopi!!!

#19 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

I saw this live. I was explaining to my girlfriend the reasoning behind it. I saw it as a sign of respect, but apparently he didn't know any better. He didn't just come up with that on his own though, he had to have known, too much of a coincidence if you ask me. I thought it was effin awesome either way!

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $12

#20 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

Stevie Y was the person who threw it on the ice.. :hehe:

02_notcomplicated_Kronwalled55_zpsc7d665