• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

James Wisniewski

Rate this topic

I realize this has already been discussed previously, but the Montreal Gazette is reporting that the Canadiens are "unlikely" to sign defenseman James Wisniewski to another contract and he will thus be forced to test free agency. Wisniewski is about the same size as Salei (5'11, 210 lbs.) plays phsical, fights, and is a good penalty killer, but also has a much more positive offensive game. 51 pts. in 2011, mostly on the powerplay. Additionally, he shoots right handed as Rafalski did and it a good outlet passer for a transition game like Detroit's. His plus/minus was -14, -18 with the Islanders and +4 with Montreal. Finally, his contract was roughly 3.5 million last year and could expect a little more, but not substantially more for a new contract. Any chance the local boy signs with the Wings to fill Rafalski's shoes and leaves a couple of million left to pursue other pieces?

I would love to see him signed for around 4 to 4.5 million and play with either Nick or Nik.

The only other right handed shooter of this caliber in the FA class is Bieksa, who's probably better defensively, but only marginally, and not as good moving the puck or offensively. Bieksa will also likely command a much higher contract after the post season that he's had. Plus, I don't think you really have to go for a lock down defender with this signing. They're replacing Rafalski, who hasn't been real great on D for the last couple of seasons anyway, so as long as he's as good as that or better then you're even money but with more offensive production. Then when Lidstrom retires you go after the biggest, baddest, lock down guy out there in next year's FA class. Probably Burns from Minnesota. Also, here's hoping Wisniewski would sign for the old home town discount.

The only other right handed shooter of this caliber in the FA class is Bieksa, who's probably better defensively, but only marginally, and not as good moving the puck or offensively. Bieksa will also likely command a much higher contract after the post season that he's had. Plus, I don't think you really have to go for a lock down defender with this signing. They're replacing Rafalski, who hasn't been real great on D for the last couple of seasons anyway, so as long as he's as good as that or better then you're even money but with more offensive production. Then when Lidstrom retires you go after the biggest, baddest, lock down guy out there in next year's FA class. Probably Burns from Minnesota. Also, here's hoping Wisniewski would sign for the old home town discount.

Yeah, Bieksa will definitely want way too much after his playoffs but another guy who I would love to see the Wings try and get if E doesn't sign again is Anton Babchuk. Shoots right, had 35 points and was +18 with the Flames after he was traded from Carolina. Probably could offer him between 2 and 2.5 million and see what happens.

Edited by MGreenberg

Yeah, Bieksa will definitely want way too much after his playoffs but another guy who I would love to see the Wings try and get if E doesn't sign again is Anton Babchuk. Shoots right, had 35 points and was +18 with the Flames after he was traded from Carolina. Probably could offer him between 2 and 2.5 million and see what happens.

I'm not going to lie, I'm unfamiliar with Babchuk's game. All I know about him is from what I'm reading online right now. My biggest two concerns with him would be 1. He only averages 16 minutes time on ice, and if you were playing in the top two defensive pairings for Detroit you'd need to be coming in at around 22-23 minutes. Is he capable and quality enough to take on the bigger role at this stage of his career? 2. Again, not familiar with his game, but ideally I'd like to see Rafalski's replacement play a little grittier, with more of an edge. It's not necessarily a matter of size, but of playing big and being able to compete physically with big power forwards. Sort of like Stuart does. Now here's my bias, I generally think North American defenseman are more prone to this as I believe European defenseman tend to play a more positional style of defense. How is he with physical play?

Note: I just reread the previous post and realized you were talking about replacing Ericsson with Babchuk, which sort of negates the two concerns I just brought up. I thought you meant as a replacement for Rafalski. Interesting idea given this Ericsson situation.

Edited by kipwinger

I think this is going to be Holland's top FA target. Good offensive instincts, right handed shot, he was a monster PITA for us in the 2nd round in 09. I would be more surprised if they didn't sign him. That is unless one of these money stupid teams like NYR throw too much at him.

Any idea why he's been on 4 different teams in 5 years?

On the trade from Chicago to Anaheim:

In a move made right at the NHL's trade deadline on Wednesday, the Blackhawks acquired center Samuel Pahlsson from the Anaheim Ducks in exhange for defenseman James Wisniewski and center Petri Kontiola. The Hawks also received defenseman Logan Stephenson and a conditional draft pick.

Wisniewski had two goals and 11 assists in 31 games for the Hawks this season and was popular with his teammates. In his third season with the Hawks, Wisniewski missed most of the first half of the season recovering from off-season knee surgery. Coach Joel Quenneville made Wisniewski a healthy scratch for two games in mid-February but the blue liner had been seeing significant playing time the last nine games.

"It's a little heart-breaking but there are very few guys in this league who play for one team their whole career," Wisniewski said. "It's going to happen sooner or later. It's sad to go but it might be better off for me.

"I thank the Chicago organization for sticking with me and all the help they've done to get me back to 100 percent. Coming off the injury they threw me right in there with the wolves and they had a lot of confidence in me and now they needed a checking centerman and they got it for me and it's probably best both ways. For me, I have to turn the page now. I have a job to go to Anaheim and help them win."

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/icing/2009/03/nhl-trade-deadline-update.html

On the trade from Ducks to Isles:

Ducks defenseman James Wisniewski was worried he was going to be dealt by Anaheim on trade deadline day, reports the Orange County Register.

Wisniewski, who is in the final year of his current contract, was the subject of numerous trade rumors heading into Mar. 3's deadline.

He is set to become a restricted free agent July 1 and could command a hefty raise.

"I think you just kind of look at it as a business," Wisniewski told the Register. "If it happened, it happened and I'd go somewhere else and play. But, you know, I'm happy to be here. I like playing for this organization. It's just a great bunch of guys.

"Hopefully we can do what we did last year and crawl into the playoffs. You never know what can happen."

(The 4th Period)

When I read that the Ducks avoided arbitration by signing James Wisniewski to a one-year, $3.25 million deal, I wondered how the cash-strapped Anaheim Ducks would really act. It didn’t take long for the team to show its penny pinching ways, as Ducks GM Bryan Murray decided to trade the defenseman to the New York Islanders for a conditional third round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, according to Katie Strang of New York Newsday.

(James O'Brien - NBC Sports)

On the trade from the Isles to Montreal:

The Islanders pulled off a nifty buy-low, sell-less-low maneuver by picking up James Wisniewski for a 3rd and then flipping him for a 2nd and change after 34 games (minus two for the Avery suspension). They become the third team to trade Wisniewski while a contract extension was looming. As discussed round and round in comments yesterday, I suspect that has to do with a difference between his expected asking price and his performance: Wisniewski collects points -- playing 5 minutes per game on the powerplay will do that for you -- but the rest of his game leaves questions.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2010/12/29/1902392/islanders-gameday-life-without-wisniewski

Guest Jordan Baker

I know this sounds stupid but I don't want James on the Red Wings. My oldest brother went to high school with him and apparently he was a total ****** bag, your classic school bully. I know people can change their ways but that isn't the type of guy that I think about when I look at the Detroit Red Wings.

I know this sounds stupid but I don't want James on the Red Wings. My oldest brother went to high school with him and apparently he was a total ****** bag, your classic school bully. I know people can change their ways but that isn't the type of guy that I think about when I look at the Detroit Red Wings.

Hmmmm. You don't say.

Most high school students are ******-bags in their own way.

Just like I refuse to hold the fact that he's been traded several times against him,

I refuse to hold his high-school douchebaggery against him.

Now if you think that what he did in high school might translate to his behavior in the locker-room...

Searching ye olde' interwebs there is very little to report about his locker-room presence other than speculation and opinion by various bloggers.

He was supposedly a very good teammate in Chicago and did not want to leave there.

He enjoyed his time with Anaheim and was happy that he got a deal done, only to be traded to the Islanders.

It's obvious that he never wanted to be traded to the Isle, but while he was there he was a seemingly good teammate.

Snow is Snow. So, who knows why he wasn't kept around longer. I think it was mainly the fear of his impending paycheck.

Montreal is unlikely to re-sign him for that very reason as well.

I still think what he brings to the table in the way of hockey play is exactly what this club could use if the price is right.

Apparently he hates the Wings, but stranger things have happened.

He hates that he's never played for the Wings.

...and yes, stranger things have happened. Hossa. :ph34r:

Hmmmm. You don't say.

Most high school students are ******-bags in their own way.

Just like I refuse to hold the fact that he's been traded several times against him,

I refuse to hold his high-school douchebaggery against him.

Now if you think that what he did in high school might translate to his behavior in the locker-room...

Searching ye olde' interwebs there is very little to report about his locker-room presence other than speculation and opinion by various bloggers.

He was supposedly a very good teammate in Chicago and did not want to leave there.

He enjoyed his time with Anaheim and was happy that he got a deal done, only to be traded to the Islanders.

It's obvious that he never wanted to be traded to the Isle, but while he was there he was a seemingly good teammate.

Snow is Snow. So, who knows why he wasn't kept around longer. I think it was mainly the fear of his impending paycheck.

Montreal is unlikely to re-sign him for that very reason as well.

I still think what he brings to the table in the way of hockey play is exactly what this club could use if the price is right.

He hates that he's never played for the Wings.

...and yes, stranger things have happened. Hossa. :ph34r:

I completely agree, as a matter of fact, a total dick might just be what this team needs. A little attitude or spark or something. I know it's a different game but this is exactly why the Pistons brought in Rasheed Wallace years back, his attitude supposedly kept the more passive guys from being complacent. But all that aside, the Wiz is a hell of a hockey player for the money and we absolutely must sign a top four d-man for mid range salary, there aren't many options aside from him, Bieksa, and Erhoff with that skill level and for that salary. I still like it, d-bag or not haha.

On the trade from the Isles to Montreal:

The Islanders pulled off a nifty buy-low, sell-less-low maneuver by picking up James Wisniewski for a 3rd and then flipping him for a 2nd and change after 34 games (minus two for the Avery suspension). They become the third team to trade Wisniewski while a contract extension was looming. As discussed round and round in comments yesterday, I suspect that has to do with a difference between his expected asking price and his performance: Wisniewski collects points -- playing 5 minutes per game on the powerplay will do that for you -- but the rest of his game leaves questions.

http://www.lighthous...hout-wisniewski

That part doesn't sound too promising.

That part doesn't sound too promising.

That's a blogger's opinion based upon 32 games played.

2010-2011 New York Islanders NHL 32 GP 3 Goals 18 Ast. 21 Pts.

Here's THN assessment:

ASSETS: Has plenty of offensive capability, including the skills to play the point on the power play. Is aggressive by nature. Skates very well and is at his best in an up-tempo system.

FLAWS: Lacks discipline as a defender, including his positioning, decision-making and being overly aggressive. Lacks ideal size and reach.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Aggressive defenseman with all-around ability.

I grew up in plymouth-canton and always used to watch the whalers play when wiz was captain there. the dudes got a lot of talent all the way around. he just doesnt have the size like bieksa does. i think the canadiens discovered just how good he can be, but unfortunately for them the wings r gonna be the ones to truly capitalize on him :). he learned how to play from martin lapointe as well. the dudes too perfect for us.

Apparently he hates the Wings, but stranger things have happened.

he made remarks when he played for chicago that ppl on the team gave him s*** for being from detroit, and that he just had to keep his mouth shut and pretend that he hated detroit too. ive heard hes very interested in playing for detroit now that hes an FA and raffi is gone.

everyone was a ****** in highschool. the dudes 27 now and ive heard hes nothing but fantastic in the locker room. funny like pronger, but without the douchiness and multiple prison sentences.

I'll be really surprised if holland doesnt pursue him

That's a blogger's opinion based upon 32 games played.

2010-2011 New York Islanders NHL 32 GP 3 Goals 18 Ast. 21 Pts.

Here's THN assessment:

ASSETS: Has plenty of offensive capability, including the skills to play the point on the power play. Is aggressive by nature. Skates very well and is at his best in an up-tempo system.

FLAWS: Lacks discipline as a defender, including his positioning, decision-making and being overly aggressive. Lacks ideal size and reach.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Aggressive defenseman with all-around ability.

This is why I'm saying it's important to know what role he's going to be filling. The tendency is to want whatever guy that's coming in to be in your top pair, which he won't be. Compare everything above to Rafalski over the last two years and you have a guy who's scored more points, is younger, and plays about the same amount of ice time, and is much more aggressive, but who may turn the puck over or get beat on defense. Gotta remember that Rafalski was among the team leaders in turnovers and didn't have the legs to play good D anymore so was often getting beat. Essentially you've got a guy who has most of the same flaws as Rafalski has had for a couple of seasons now but is bigger, younger, faster, and tougher, and you can get for a couple million dollars cheaper, but still gives you Rafalski level points and plays the same role as Rafalski on the PP. He doesn't have to be Nic, or Kronwall, or Stuart, he just has to be better than Rafalski was for less money and you've come out ahead. I think he is, and I think it's a no brainer...unless Bieksa is coming in around the same money haha (he'll get paid more though), then all bets are off.

smart defense can be taught. the red wings r superb at that. maybe lidstrom will teach him a thing or 2.

I know it's only a couple of incidents, but they make me question his decision making.

edit: He also has WizWear available for sale on his official site.

Edited by Travis

I know it's only a couple of incidents, but they make me question his decision making.

if these 2 videos make you dislike the guy then please don't watch any of chelios's old videos =)

Me personally i love the avery taunt and that hit on seabrook may it be a little high was not like it was blind sided or anything. i think we need someone with a little more sandpaper like that. thats why i miss downey so much.

The Avery taunt per what some were saying was just Wisniewski telling Avery to brush his teeth. geez=)

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

if these 2 videos make you dislike the guy then please don't watch any of chelios's old videos =)

Me personally i love the avery taunt and that hit on seabrook may it be a little high was not like it was blind sided or anything. i think we need someone with a little more sandpaper like that. thats why i miss downey so much.

Agreed. I'm certainly not opposed to a little dirty play when it's on our side. Chelios did it, Pronger does it. It's the name of the game sometimes and it keeps opposing players guessing. Let Datsyuk be the gentleman, let the Wiz make people pay a price.