• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Bergeron officially retires. Gonna be interesting to see how that team does with no top 6 center. 

This.

Boston/Washington/Pittsburgh are all 50/50 when it comes to making, or missing the playoffs...Insert Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit as their potential replacements.

4 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

How close is Ovie to a 1000 goals now? Things not looking bright for Wash the coming years. 

Ovie gets his if they stink too.  He'll minus it up with the best of em.  But I do think a trade could help a team like Carolina or Florida and help Washington with some picks and prospects coming back.  Will not be at all surprised if he waives his ntc at the deadline.

15 hours ago, F.Michael said:

This.

Boston/Washington/Pittsburgh are all 50/50 when it comes to making, or missing the playoffs...Insert Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit as their potential replacements.

It's wild to me that anyone thinks Boston could be anything better than a wildcard team this season. Yeah, they have two great wingers. Yes, they have good D. Yes they have good goaltending. But 82 games with that center depth and no money to address it? Good luck. 

I will not be surprised to see a bottom 10 finish. They are one key injury away from the bottom falling out. 

5 hours ago, marcaractac said:

It's wild to me that anyone thinks Boston could be anything better than a wildcard team this season. Yeah, they have two great wingers. Yes, they have good D. Yes they have good goaltending. But 82 games with that center depth and no money to address it? Good luck. 

I will not be surprised to see a bottom 10 finish. They are one key injury away from the bottom falling out. 

Someone will step up at C

I promise I'm not trying to be a troll when I say this, but why is Bergeron so highly thought of? It's not like he's Datsyuk, winning Selke trophies while putting up 90 pts. And it's not like he won a bunch of championships or anything. If anything, Boston underperformed as much as exceeded expectations. I get that he's good, and a class act, and tough as nails, and all that. But is he as good as he's hyped up in some circles? Or is he Jonathan Toews without the rings?  What am I missing?

Edited by kipwinger

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I promise I'm not trying to be a troll when I say this, but why is Bergeron so highly thought of? It's not like he's Datsyuk, winning Selke trophies while putting up 90 pts. And it's not like he won a bunch of championships or anything. If anything, Boston underperformed as much as exceeded expectations. I get that he's good, and a class act, and tough as nails, and all that. But is he as good as he's hyped up in some circles? Or is he Jonathan Toews without the rings?  What am I missing?

He was clutch.  Always there.

34 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I cant get this s*** TSN video to load, but I'm with Kip on this one.

Berg is a great defensive forward who could score 65 pts and lead a lockeroom. In the scheme of things it' not very impressive. To piggy back on Kip, we had Datysuk who could do the same D crap, if not better, and also score 90 pts and change the game with his creativity. Berg is a slightly betterr Toess. Completely forgetabble in 5 years. 

Congrats your a nice Darren Helm that could score at an average top6 level. Who cares? You don't get rememberred for being nicce/leader you get remembered for being able to outplay everyone. Leaderhip and pperonality is a bonus.

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

BERGERON ******* SUCKS !!!!

Using the N word i a little much in this circumstance

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Can someone present the article that said Bergeron was better than Datsyuk? I feel like Kip and Colin are self strawmanning themselves.

Dats - a man who done changed the game - went out with a flicker. Bergy - a rich mans helm - goes out with pomp and circumstance. The Canadian bias is inherent in the system.

10 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Can someone present the article that said Bergeron was better than Datsyuk? I feel like Kip and Colin are self strawmanning themselves.

I wasn't trying to suggest there was some great "Datsyuk vs. Bergeron" debate amongst NHL fans or anything like that.  I was just saying that Datsyuk's defensive prowess was noteworthy because he was also an elite offensive performer. Bergeron is not elite offensively, so he just always seemed like a better than average shutdown center. Like Jordan Staal with a little more offense. But in some NHL circles he's talked about like he's a superstar, which I don't get.

10 hours ago, bIueadams said:

Using the N word i a little much in this circumstance

Dats - a man who done changed the game - went out with a flicker. Bergy - a rich mans helm - goes out with pomp and circumstance. The Canadian bias is inherent in the system.

Cuz he bailed on the final year of his contract like a lil bit-ch. 

Bergeron is alpha. A real man. A true leader. A lover of all people and all genders. A real hero. 

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I wasn't trying to suggest there was some great "Datsyuk vs. Bergeron" debate amongst NHL fans or anything like that.  I was just saying that Datsyuk's defensive prowess was noteworthy because he was also an elite offensive performer. Bergeron is not elite offensively, so he just always seemed like a better than average shutdown center. Like Jordan Staal with a little more offense. But in some NHL circles he's talked about like he's a superstar, which I don't get.

Taken from this 2 day old article

https://www.nhl.com/news/boston-bruins-patrice-bergeron-career-in-numbers/c-345438966

Since entering the NHL in 2003-04, he ranks ninth in points (1,040 in 1,294 games played), is tied with John Tavares for 11th in goals (427) and ranks 12th in assists (613). He is also eighth in even-strength points (666), tied with Evgeni Malkin for sixth in game-winning goals (81) and ranks third in shots on goal (3,974). In addition to his offensive production, Bergeron has the best face-off percentage among all NHL players during that span (57.9 percent; minimum 11,000 draws), ranks eighth in takeaways (811) and is sixth among all forwards in blocked shots (847).

Not bad. 

14 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I definitely don't think he's a bad player. I just don't think he's a superstar either. I'm perfectly happy to talk about him in the same way I'd talk about Toews or Kopitar, but it just feels like he gets more love than that. Maybe I'm overblowing it though.

9 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I definitely don't think he's a bad player. I just don't think he's a superstar either. I'm perfectly happy to talk about him in the same way I'd talk about Toews or Kopitar, but it just feels like he gets more love than that. Maybe I'm overblowing it though.

I don't think you're going outta your way in under-valuing him (I feel your assessment is pretty fair)...I'd say Bergeron is revered for what kind of stand-up guy he is on and off ice...Not a single bad thing has been uttered, or published about him...The adulation tends to magnify his stats and accomplishments on ice, but for once I don't mind him getting the attention.

Edited by F.Michael

3 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Cuz he bailed on the final year of his contract like a lil bit-ch. 

Bergeron is alpha. A real man. A true leader. A lover of all people and all genders. A real hero. 

A real human bean