• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Of course he would... That would be a terrible trade for us... Luckily Yzerman isn't that dumb.

I mean, I'm not advocating for it, but I'd at least consider it.

They've put up similar numbers:

https://www.nhl.com/player/jonathan-drouin-8477494

https://www.nhl.com/player/anthony-mantha-8477511

And Drouin is roughly a year and a half younger than Mantha.

But Drouin's a punk and Mantha's found good chemistry with Larkin and Bertuzzi and it does feel like he's on the verge of breaking out.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

But Drouin's a punk and Mantha's found good chemistry with Larkin and Bertuzzi and it does feel like he's on the verge of breaking out.

I get the impression that Drouin thinks he's better than what his stats show - add to that he apparently has issues with both his former, and current team...Me no likey-likey.

9 minutes ago, Dabura said:

This is why I wouldn't do it. Mantha will out produce Drouin by 20 points this season...

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

I get the impression that Drouin thinks he's better than what his stats show - add to that he apparently has issues with both his former, and current team...Me no likey-likey.

Yeah. Baggage is the big reason why I wouldn't give up one of our top players for him, even if you take Yzerman out of the equation.

Just to be clear, my original point was simply that I genuinely believe Bergevin specifically targets -- and probably gets -- Mantha if Mantha is playing for a team that isn't the Wings. And that most people would probably say, "Yeah, Drouin for Mantha is pretty fair. Some risk for each party, but it should end up working out for everyone."

12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

This is why I wouldn't do it. Mantha will out produce Drouin by 20 points this season...

Looking at their respective numbers, something that really jumps out to me is the shooting percentages. I don't know that there's anything significant we can learn from this, but...

Drouin:

Mantha:

Drouin's all over the place. Mantha? The definition of consistent.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Looking at their respective numbers, something that really jumps out to me is the shooting percentages. I don't know that there's anything significant we can learn from this, but...

Drouin:

Mantha:

Mantha just needs to keep shooting and stay healthy and he will score 35+ this season guaranteed.

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Mantha just needs to keep shooting and stay healthy and he will score 35+ this season guaranteed.

Yup - as much as I love seeing players dropping the gloves to stand up for themselves, or a teammate - but damn it seems like every time Mantha drops'em he winds up with a freakish finger/hand/wrist injury that'll sideline him for up to 2 months.

Our top line should see all 3 push for 30 plus goals if they can stay healthy.

Just now, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Is it just me or does Yzermans face look like he's starting his AA Halloween costume a little too early.

Was watching a pre-season game the other night, and during an intermission they were interviewing Veleno...That guy has brows that'll challenge AA any day.

19 hours ago, Dabura said:

Drouin:

Mantha:

Nice. Mantha needs to shoot more :P 

2 hours ago, amato said:

Nice. Mantha needs to shoot more :P 

he was at around 4 shots per game at the end of the season and has 16 shots in three preseason games. If he keeps going at 4 shots/pg he will have 320 shots a season at 12% shooting percentage is good for 38 goals :yahoo:

22 hours ago, Dabura said:

There is nothing in a trade like that what would make me think of it.  5" taller and 30 pounds more, a real good shot, good skater, an absolute beast trading for a guy who then will be playing for his third team in 5 years? No way I would trade a 30 goal scorer with his physics for a guy like Drouin.

4 minutes ago, ely s said:

5" taller and 30 pounds more

Not all that meaningful, unless he puts it all together and becomes a juggernaut power-winger. (Which could be exactly what we see this season.)

5 minutes ago, ely s said:

a real good shot, good skater

Mantha and Drouin share these qualities. Drouin's shot gave us fits in that one playoff series.

6 minutes ago, ely s said:

an absolute beast

It looks like he's about to become an absolute beast, but the jury's still out.

It wasn't until very recently that everyone decided Mantha is prime years Todd Bertuzzi.

10 minutes ago, ely s said:

No way I would trade a 30 goal scorer

I'm nitpicking (boredom), but Mantha hasn't scored 30 goals yet. But it seems inevitable that he's going to hit that mark, and I think it's fair to say he's proven himself to be the better goal-scorer.

I dunno. *shrug* I guess I have a different and possibly flawed sense of what Bergevin is(n't) capable of.

32 minutes ago, ely s said:

he was at around 4 shots per game at the end of the season and has 16 shots in three preseason games. If he keeps going at 4 shots/pg he will have 320 shots a season at 12% shooting percentage is good for 38 goals :yahoo:

It's doable for sure. As long as he can stay healthy and doesn't have too many cold stretches...

22 minutes ago, solarion said:

S-U-X. It's 39 or bust for Tony!

39 for 39. I like it.

19 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'm nitpicking (boredom), but Mantha hasn't scored 30 goals yet. But it seems inevitable that he's going to hit that mark, and I think it's fair to say he's proven himself to be the better goal-scorer.

He was on pace for 30 last season. There's not a question in my mind that he will at the very least eclipse that this season.

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I hear ya. 

Leave it to me to be defending Jonathan Drouin's honor as Mantha prepares to tear the NHL a new butthole. I am a dingus. 100% certifiable.

Anyway. About Mantha. This goes without saying, but Looooooord Almighty would it be nice to see Mantha realize his true potential this season.

Imagine he does. And imagine Bertuzzi establishes himself as a 50-point player (if only while playing with top talent). And imagine AA cements himself as a legit 30-goal scorer. Now imagine drafting a monster winger in Alexis Lafreniere/Lucas Raymond/Alexander Holtz and adding that player to the forward mix, a mix which also includes Veleno, Zadina, Rasmussen, et al.

Bertuzzi  Larkin  Mantha
Athanasiou  Veleno  Holtz
Hirose  Rasmussen  Zadina
Erne  Pearson  Svechnikov

tumblr_m90poh9fJs1qddbrs.gif