• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
deltawing

Brad Stuart to the West Coast?

Rate this topic

Brad Stuart will hit unrestricted free agency this summer and it looks like he may not return to the Detroit Red Wings. The Edmonton Journal's Jim Matheson writes that he wants to play for a California team, so "you have to think the Sharks will take another run at their former first-round draft pick. The Anaheim Ducks, too. Stuart's family has been living in California while he's been playing for the Red Wings."

That said, would it surprise anyone if he returned to the Wings? Nope.

Source: http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

I would hate to see Stuart go, but you gotta think if Holland knows Stuart is leaning towards leaving in the summer he could look to trade him by the deadline, could even be perfect timing with the Ducks looking to sell and make changes.

Honestly, I think Holland's hands are tied when it comes to the Stuart situation. If Holland knows Stuart is going to leave he only has three options:

1. Trade to one of the California based teams who won't give up much anyways because it's pretty well known that Stuart (in this situation being described) wants to head back out west. Or,

2. Trade Stuart to a non-california based team who may be willing to part with more as Stuart could aid in a cup run. Or,

3. Hold onto him as it would take other assets in order to trade for a replacement and end up losing him for nothing.

I really don't see how the Wings will come out on top in this situation. Plus, with the way the organization treats their players I doubt they move him at all. I see the Wings holding on to him and taking a shot at a cup. Then when the season is over they'll graciously let him go back West.

Honestly, I think Holland's hands are tied when it comes to the Stuart situation. If Holland knows Stuart is going to leave he only has three options:

1. Trade to one of the California based teams who won't give up much anyways because it's pretty well known that Stuart (in this situation being described) wants to head back out west. Or,

2. Trade Stuart to a non-california based team who may be willing to part with more as Stuart could aid in a cup run. Or,

3. Hold onto him as it would take other assets in order to trade for a replacement and end up losing him for nothing.

I really don't see how the Wings will come out on top in this situation. Plus, with the way the organization treats their players I doubt they move him at all. I see the Wings holding on to him and taking a shot at a cup. Then when the season is over they'll graciously let him go back West.

Well put.

Honestly #2 would likely be the best situation for the Wings in the long run, if not for Stuart, as you're right they'd likely get more in return. Unless he's part of a package deal for Ryan. But like you said, because people know he's a UFA who wants to play in Southern California, the Wings are not in a strong bargaining position.

If they go with #3 though, I hope they do make some big deadline move to take a serious run at the Cup before they lose Stuart and probably Lidstrom next season.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

If we DID trade Stuart, and say, got a forward in return... who would replace him on defense? Just go with Commie/Kindl? Or do we bring Smith up?

While I understand the situation, our defense is finally playing really well for the first time in a few seasons, do we want to risk messing that up?

I think we have to keep him for the cup run then cut our losses in the summer. Unless someone is daft enough to trade for his rights before free agency I don't see us getting anything for him. Honestly I'm ok with that, not every player has to retire a wing, we brought him in 08 we won the cup. Job done, move on.

Edit: grammar

Edited by FifeHockeyNut

If we DID trade Stuart, and say, got a forward in return... who would replace him on defense? Just go with Commie/Kindl? Or do we bring Smith up?

While I understand the situation, our defense is finally playing really well for the first time in a few seasons, do we want to risk messing that up?

My hope would be Smith. Commie doesn't bring much of anything to the table and Kindl is just blah.

Ideally Stuart stays for a cup run. If he then decides to leave it'd be great to trade his rights for a mid range pick. The only problem with that is, in my eyes, the only (California) team that would really like to get him (based on roster needs etc) would be the Ducks. For the Wings to be able to trade his rights there would need to be desire from at least two of those teams. Personally, i don't see that as a likely scenario. Especially since there are some good UFA d-men this summer I doubt ANH/LA/SJ trade anything for his rights when they can try and get what they'd want for free on the UFA market.

Well put.

Honestly #2 would likely be the best situation for the Wings in the long run, if not for Stuart, as you're right they'd likely get more in return. Unless he's part of a package deal for Ryan. But like you said, because people know he's a UFA who wants to play in Southern California, the Wings are not in a strong bargaining position.

If they go with #3 though, I hope they do make some big deadline move to take a serious run at the Cup before they lose Stuart and probably Lidstrom next season.

I think if his heart is set on going to his home state, then Holland MUST attempt to get something in return. I understand your guy's assesment of his pending UFA status kind of handcuffing Holland, BUT what if ALL THREE California teams want his services? It's not like he is chopped liver and he could be a huge help to any of them. So it's not like they are all gonna lowball Holland in and miss on a chance to attain his services. BUT if we are dealing away one of our top 4 defenders, with really nobody to replace him right now (Smith, Kindl or Commie are not top 4 defenders) we damn well be getting someone back that we can put in his place. This is why I cannot see Holland trading him at the deadline unless the deal is just too good to pass up. He be better off trading his rights in June. I'd personally chose Anaheim at the deadline if that is when he will be traded, 1. We won't have to worry about facing them in the playoffs and 2. Since they are looking to sell, they could outbid the other two playoff bound teams who would rather be buyers than sellers and upsetting the chemistry on their team.

With that being said, I really wish Brad would stay, but do understand (personally) spending time away from your family for your career. What ever happens, Brad will be remember as one the best defensemen we have had in Detroit and he will always be a Stanley Cup Champion as a Detroit Red Wing. Godspeed Brad Stuart!

Stuart is really handcuffing the Wings here. We don't have many options that are seemingly good, and we can only trade him to 3 teams potentially. Others have correctly pointed out that trading him for a forward would weaken our defense for the playoffs.

I was going to ask whether we can possibly trade him to a California team for a good D-man in return? That way we can still keep our defense looking good for this Cup run.

But I doubt the Sharks are going to give us Vlasic, or that the Ducks will give us Fowler. In fact, as I said earlier, I don't see the Sharks and Wings dealing with each other at all.

After reading this thread and thinking about the options, it seems like Holland's best bet would be to keep Stu and make the serious run this year, even assuming they lose him next year as a UFA. Because he would be a big hole in the blueline that you really don't want to try and replace headed into the playoffs.

Ideally Stuart stays for a cup run. If he then decides to leave it'd be great to trade his rights for a mid range pick. The only problem with that is, in my eyes, the only (California) team that would really like to get him (based on roster needs etc) would be the Ducks. For the Wings to be able to trade his rights there would need to be desire from at least two of those teams. Personally, i don't see that as a likely scenario. Especially since there are some good UFA d-men this summer I doubt ANH/LA/SJ trade anything for his rights when they can try and get what they'd want for free on the UFA market.

What about the Kings? Still California. I'm sure the wife might consider a move as long as it's still California.

It seems that Stuart likes playing with Detroit and I will be sad when he leaves. I just wish his family would consider moving to MI. I always find it odd when when families won't move to where a player has to play. You would think that they would want to be where their husband and father is and not clear across the country from them.

Edited by LidsFan

It seems that Stuart likes playing with Detroit and I will be sad when he leaves. I just wish his family would consider moving to MI. I always find it odd when when families won't move to where a player has to play. You would think that they would want to be where their husband and father is and not clear across the country from them.

He has a step-daughter who would be pulled away from her dad if the family moved. I thought they had moved here with him, but I guess I was wrong. At first, them staying in Cali was so she could be with both of her parents, but now that Stuie's son is getting older, I can see Stuie wanting to be with him.

I will miss him, and I hope they let him finish out the season here (barring a totally insane gotta-do trade), but if he wants to go, there really isn't anything stopping him.

I do think whoever said "trade his rights for a mid-round pick" had the best idea so far. Where ever he ends up, I wish him well. He was a good pick up for us, and has served us well.

Stuart for Murray? Maybe a low pick in there, don't know for who. Maybe swap different round picks, conditional on Stuart re-signing? Don't know if The Sharks bite (pun intended) but, it would be a fairly equal trade. Stu has more offense upside, if you can say that about Stuart. Murray is a rock solid stay at home guy who can clear the crease, and is a pretty good hitter and shot blocker.

Don't really think they would go for it, but if Kenny makes them an offer they can't refuse...

I'd take on Beauchemin as a comparable replacement, the guy plays physical, blocks a ton of shots and is a very underrated defensemen. I wouldn't necessarily prefer him over Stuart but I think if the situation required a deal to be made, this guy would be a good replacement. Unrealistically Visnovsky would be a better option :thumbup:

Edited by BlazeYoungblood