• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
PROBIE4PREZ

Detroit has inside track on Parise

Rate this topic

From everything I've seen & heard, most people are saying it's a weak FA class once you get past Suter & Parise. That's why I'm thinking the Wings get neither. You'll have a bunch of other teams willing to overpay them & kill their team's salary cap management in the process and that's not something Kenny's been willing to do in the past. Personally, I think Suter ends up back in Nashville after the team has a good playoff run this year & Parise ends up signing for big money somewhere not named Detroit.

I agree, Minnesota or Dallas for Parise, or maybe Toronto makes a run at him.

Parise - Datsyuk - NyQuill

Filppula - Hank - Franzen

Bert - Helm - Tatar

....drool

Yeah, I like those lines too, but I think with Lidstrom possibly retiring, we really need to focus on our defensemen. Unless we plan on overpaying (or the salary cap is gone) we're not getting Suter. Probably have to trade for one.

I don't mean to be a downer, and I sincerely hope that Holland pushes hard to land Parise or Suter(even if it means paying a bit more than he would like *gasp*), but if you look at the free agent pool this summer, there is Parise, Suter, and a bunch of moths flying around. Most of the other big names aren't expected to sign with a different NHL team. That gives you 20 to 30 teams looking to grab a list of talent you can count on one hand. Holland prefers not to be aggressive in these scenarios. Consequently I don't have high expectations of landing Parise or any big name this summer.

Guest Hatethedrake!

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($6.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ryan Suter ($6.200m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.250m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,615,379; BONUSES: $247,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $384,621

I don't mean to be a downer, and I sincerely hope that Holland pushes hard to land Parise or Suter(even if it means paying a bit more than he would like *gasp*), but if you look at the free agent pool this summer, there is Parise, Suter, and a bunch of moths flying around. Most of the other big names aren't expected to sign with a different NHL team. That gives you 20 to 30 teams looking to grab a list of talent you can count on one hand. Holland prefers not to be aggressive in these scenarios. Consequently I don't have high expectations of landing Parise or any big name this summer.

it all depends on if Lids hangs em' up and how much Parise and Suter want. Holland refuses to overpay players to build contenders (aside from overpaying Ericsson) and another main thing with Holland is he won't go out and blow the bank on unproven players. Parise and Suter are very proven, so there's no risk and a high reward to getting both on the roster. our top 6 becomes sick as all hell with Parise in place of Hudler and Nyquist in the top 6 with a summer of weights and condition with the big club under his belt. Seems like a winning line-up to me.

I've been thinking the thing this team needs is a consistent 35-40 goal scorer. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are great all around players, but are more play makers.

I would think Hudler and Stuart won't be back, and I wonder if somehow Franzen, despite his long term contract, gets traded? With out Hudler, Stuart, and Franzen on the team, and possibly Lidstrom and Holmstrom, we'll have plenty of cap room for Parise and a stud defense man.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($6.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($1.500m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ryan Suter ($6.200m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.250m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,615,379; BONUSES: $247,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $384,621

I don't see either one signing for under a $7m/year cap hit if they hit the open market. I could see Suter taking a discount if he stays in Nashville but not anywhere else.

This is all hearsay but I do believe the Wings will be a player.

You are right, the Wings will be a player. Holland will have the cash, but the bigger question is, will Suter or Parise take lower than market money to play for a contender? Some players are willing, and others are not. Hell, if I was a Parise, and I had the choice of making $36 million over 6 years for New Jersey or making $30 million over 6 years for the Wings, I would go with the Wings. For the Wings I am going to have six chances to win the Cup, whereas for New Jersey, I may make the playoffs six years in a row but thats about it.

I don't see either one signing for under a $7m/year cap hit if they hit the open market. I could see Suter taking a discount if he stays in Nashville but not anywhere else.

Yeah well all we have to do is showcase him getting undressed by pasha and he may consider differently. Suter is worried about getting to a cup contending team, with the addition of Radulov i think his decision weighs heavily on what Radulov does after this season. If he were to stay in the NHL and Nashville goes deep, we will most likely see Suter sign with Nashville. If he goes to the KHL and Nashville does a faceflop, he will most likely go to the free market and see who wants him and at what prices. It seems like Suter isn't in it for the money, but rather the big prize. I also don't understand his strive to leave Nashville either, especially because they shown this year how dedicated they are to making a cup contending team to have their players resign. The organization showed their dedication, now they want Suter to follow suite. In all honesty, I don't see Suter coming here but I could see Kenny Holland getting his legitimate scoring winger he desperately wants and needs.

You are right, the Wings will be a player. Holland will have the cash, but the bigger question is, will Suter or Parise take lower than market money to play for a contender? Some players are willing, and others are not. Hell, if I was a Parise, and I had the choice of making $36 million over 6 years for New Jersey or making $30 million over 6 years for the Wings, I would go with the Wings. For the Wings I am going to have six chances to win the Cup, whereas for New Jersey, I may make the playoffs six years in a row but thats about it.

Hell, Suter has as good a chance in the next few years to win a cup by staying in Nashville as he does coming to Detroit. Sad fact.

Hell, Suter has as good a chance in the next few years to win a cup by staying in Nashville as he does coming to Detroit. Sad fact.

All depends on their core group of players. Radulov has already left for a few years. Weber may be on his way out too and may be looking for a big payday when he does. Seems that most of the Wings players don't leave for greener pastures because they already know they are taking that pay cut to play for a winner. The last high profile player that left was Hossa, and he signed a 12 year deal in Chicago for money that we couldn't afford to pay him.

All depends on their core group of players. Radulov has already left for a few years. Weber may be on his way out too and may be looking for a big payday when he does. Seems that most of the Wings players don't leave for greener pastures because they already know they are taking that pay cut to play for a winner. The last high profile player that left was Hossa, and he signed a 12 year deal in Chicago for money that we couldn't afford to pay him.

I wouldn't even consider Hossa as "leaving Detroit" being that we all knew he was only going to be here for 1 year anyway.

And yeah, Radulov is definitely a big question mark for them, as we all know he has absolutely zero loyalty and is only in it for the money. Not only that, but he has even made comments to the effect of he doesn't think he has to go back to the KHL next year, even though he is contractually obligated to. So not only does he not care about any team, only how much they pay him, he apparantly thinks contracts are just pieces of paper, nothing more, and they don't have to be honored if he has a change of mind and no longer likes the terms of the contract. I wouldn't bank anything for certain on someone like that.

I've been thinking the thing this team needs is a consistent 35-40 goal scorer. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are great all around players, but are more play makers.

I would think Hudler and Stuart won't be back, and I wonder if somehow Franzen, despite his long term contract, gets traded? With out Hudler, Stuart, and Franzen on the team, and possibly Lidstrom and Holmstrom, we'll have plenty of cap room for Parise and a stud defense man.

I just have this horrible feeling that Hudler gets re-signed here.... I really hope I'm wrong, but I just have this feeling that Holland takes him back

a lot of people are missing the fact that our 4th line is very weak...

The 4th line will look completely different next year than it does right now. Eaves should be back and Holmstrom shouldn't be.

Parise/(Insert FA)-Dats-Nyqvist

Filppula-Z-Hudler

Bert-Helm-Franzen

Eaves-Abdelkader-Mursak/Miller

I'll take that fourth line any day!

If Parise signs here, that's who he'll be playing with. Everyone associated with the Wings who has commented on the search for a top line scorer has said they would be a winger for Datsyuk.

I'm sure he would. I'm saying I don't think Parise will sign with the Wings.

With all this cap space and after a 5-game first round exit... Is anyone else terrified we're going to get to July 2 and Holland drops the "We plan on sitting back a few weeks and seeing what's left in the market" dagger?

With all this cap space and after a 5-game first round exit... Is anyone else terrified we're going to get to July 2 and Holland drops the "We plan on sitting back a few weeks and seeing what's left in the market" dagger?

If Parise and Suter either re-sign with their respective clubs (higher chance of Suter re-signing than Parise, but...) or have their rights traded and sign with their new clubs before July 1st, then there's always a chance that will happen. I think everyone admits that there's a pretty steep drop in available talent after those two.

I think the likely outcome if that were to happen is for Kenny to shift his priorities to finding ways to improve this team in the trade market.