• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Wings meet Preds in First Round

Rate this topic

i want to state this clearly for people to understand: statistically, the red wings are a better defensive team than nashville. period.

now lets look at that a bit: the wings gave up 7 less goals this season than the preds. not a lot over a full season, but still better. now some context: the preds got over 70 games from their starter. the wings got under 60. and while macdonald had a nice run, the wings numbers are skewed by conklins terrible play. at one time he had the worst save percentage in the entire league. so the wings numbers are negatively skewed by a guy that most likely will see 0 minutes in the playoffs.

the moral of the story for me is that even with an anchor like conklin on our statistics, we still were better defensively than nashville. sure, nashville has all the sexy names like rinne, suter, and weber, but before howard broke his finger, he was one of the best goalies in the league this season. his injury troubles took him out of vezina consideration.

so vandy you can keep whining about disrespect, but any time anyone says something critical of your team, you go into isntant troll mode. early in the thread, you said "say the word and i'm gone".... well, here's the word: either stop trolling and engage in some legit conversation, or go to hf or something with your hot air! (p.s. - continually bringing up 1 game against the hawks and using that as justification of an argument is not legit conversation)

Wings in 6.

datsyuk and zetterburg are really going to be physically targeted by the preds... i would hate to see one of them get injured. they better keep their heads up and play with a physical edge because nashville is a dirty team and will try to injure our star players and that is NOT what we need.

also need players to stand up for each other and fight if needed. can not be pushed around against a physical team like nashville

Yea typical Canadian players. It's to bad the League can't put a stop to that and let the stars run the league, instead of the mid level players. Fans shouldn't have to worry about their star players getting injured, unless it's a freak injury.

i want to state this clearly for people to understand: statistically, the red wings are a better defensive team than nashville. period.

now lets look at that a bit: the wings gave up 7 less goals this season than the preds. not a lot over a full season, but still better. now some context: the preds got over 70 games from their starter. the wings got under 60. and while macdonald had a nice run, the wings numbers are skewed by conklins terrible play. at one time he had the worst save percentage in the entire league. so the wings numbers are negatively skewed by a guy that most likely will see 0 minutes in the playoffs.

the moral of the story for me is that even with an anchor like conklin on our statistics, we still were better defensively than nashville. sure, nashville has all the sexy names like rinne, suter, and weber, but before howard broke his finger, he was one of the best goalies in the league this season. his injury troubles took him out of vezina consideration.

so vandy you can keep whining about disrespect, but any time anyone says something critical of your team, you go into isntant troll mode. early in the thread, you said "say the word and i'm gone".... well, here's the word: either stop trolling and engage in some legit conversation, or go to hf or something with your hot air! (p.s. - continually bringing up 1 game against the hawks and using that as justification of an argument is not legit conversation)

I would think Vandy is one of those stereotypical internet tolls who sleeps till noon, lives in his parent's basement, eats pizza and doritos all day, collects welfare checks, and is only brave sitting behind his keyboard... You can recognize these people after only a few posts.

I'm all in. Wings in six. None of this whiny bs "I hope they win, but I don't know". They WILL win. And as far as the posters that come on hear to piss in our cherios - don't come back here to jump on the bandwagon later. You are either a fan of the team or not, and fans root for their team.

I'm all in. Wings in six. None of this whiny bs "I hope they win, but I don't know". They WILL win. And as far as the posters that come on hear to piss in our cherios - don't come back here to jump on the bandwagon later. You are either a fan of the team or not, and fans root for their team.

I actually popularized that quote here. :lol:

And your post will probably be deleted for being smug.

datsyuk and zetterburg are really going to be physically targeted by the preds... i would hate to see one of them get injured. they better keep their heads up and play with a physical edge because nashville is a dirty team and will try to injure our star players and that is NOT what we need.

also need players to stand up for each other and fight if needed. can not be pushed around against a physical team like nashville

Why wouldn't they? Datsyuk doesn't shy away from the physical contact, in fact he initiates contact in the corners and uses it to his advantage. If we play our best or close to it and get to Rinne early we will win this series...if he gets on a roll and we can't score it will be very very frustrating.

Why wouldn't they? Datsyuk doesn't shy away from the physical contact, in fact he initiates contact in the corners and uses it to his advantage. If we play our best or close to it and get to Rinne early we will win this series...if he gets on a roll and we can't score it will be very very frustrating.

thats a great point that everyone misses. datsyuk, especially in the playoffs, seems to thrive off the physical game. and zetterberg in a different way seems to get inspired by the physical play. he seems to make his best plays with a guy or two draped all over him.

i think the people that assume you can intimidate the wings in the playoffs really dont watch them play. heck, for all the ragging that people do about how the sharks sent us home 2 years in a row, its not because they were some super tough team the wings couldnt handle. its because guys like joe pavelski seem to be able to score against them and the wings came up dry.

Vandyfan84- "Are you really trying to say jimmy Howard is in the conversation with Rinne? That's rich right there"

I really hope this is just about the Vezina because if it isnt and you are generally saying that Jimmy shouldnt be in the same conversation as Pekka we'll have to discuss this further.

Lol...let's have the discussion after Detroit wins game 6 to clinch!

I'm pretty sick and tired of people calling out Wings fans who can read the writing on the wall. Some of us can take off our homer glasses and see that the way we've been playing (ie. very sh*tty) the last 2 weeks, we're not going to get out of round 1. All the evidence that I've seen in the last 2-3 weeks, show that they can't 'flip the switch' or they would have already to get #4 seed to secure home ice advantage. Does it need to be said that we are sh*tty on the road? Damn, some of you must still believe in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy.

Will I ever bet against them, no. Will I still cheer for them, of course. Do I think they will win this series ... no. Does that make me a fair weather bandwagon fan ... NO. I guess we'll have to come back to this thread in 2 weeks to see who will eat crow.

I guess being realistic makes you a bad fan huh?!?

Lol were a dirty team?!? Hornqvist gets the s*** beat out of him day in and day out but we just go out and do our thing. Why don't you continue to spread more misinformation.

BTW, my favorite player outside of the Preds is Johan Franzen. I feel dirty for even saying that.

Rooting and being realistic can occur together as a fan. There's nothing wrong with predicting the Predators to win the series. It doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

This nonsense about always having to praise the Red Wings and anyone that says otherwise is not a fan is ridiculous. We all want the same thing. People react in different ways as fans.

Never seen so many doubt the wings, the f*** kind of fans are you?

I hope the Wings win, but they're not inspiring a whole lot of confidence. I love 'em to death, but I can be realistic too. Like I said, this is going to be ugly. I don't make predictions about who is going to win what, because I have no way of knowing if I'll be right or not, and I don't like to be wrong. So I avoid that kind of prognostication and leave it for everyone else.

I honestly couldn't tell you who is going to win. When the Wings are on, they're unbeatable, but they haven't been "on" very much since the first of the year, and they're not very good on the road. Nashville has given us fits all year, and we trip over our dicks every time we play them. So who knows. If we make it past the first round, I'll feel a whole lot better about our chances.

Rooting and being realistic can occur together as a fan. There's nothing wrong with predicting the Predators to win the series. It doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

This nonsense about always having to praise the Red Wings and anyone that says otherwise is not a fan is ridiculous. We all want the same thing. People react in different ways as fans.

I'll never root for another team to beat us, I'll never stop hoping we win games. That doesn't mean if I think we're over-matched, I'm going to lie and say we're not just to keep people from s***ting their pants and then throwing the contents at me. I love the Red Wings, and I have for a long, long time. However, when you're in a relationship with something (or someone) as long as I've been in this "relationship" with the Red Wings, it has evolved well past the honeymoon phase, when they can do no wrong and anyone who thinks different is just a meanie poopy-head hater. I'm solidly into the "I can love you but still be objective" phase, and if other people don't like that, I don't really care.

Good thing about the playoffs is there is next to no fighting so the Wings can go out there and be chippy and dirty and not have to answer the bell.

I only worry about them being outmuscled and knocked off the puck in their own zone.

[/quote

You must have missed the last 4 games that we played against the much bigger and more physical St. Louis Blues. We beat them 4 times in a row. Nashville is not nearly as physical as the blues.

Edited by chrisdetroit

Guest Heaten

Howard is as good, if not a better goalie than Pekka Rinne. Not to mention, Datsyuk owns Rinne.....

When it comes down to goaltending and defense, Red Wings are overall better as a whole. Wings score more goals and let less goals in. That's a good indicator there. After Suter and Weber, Preds aren't deep. While Red Wings ice 2 lethal lines and 2 more that can score at will. Not to mention 5 capable offensive Dman on point. How can Nashville contain that? Surely Suter and Weber can't play 60 minutes per night?

Red Wings will wear them down. Rinne will fold like a lawn chair, Red Wings have to much offensive firepower coming from all angles. Datsyuk will put on a show. I'd be surprised if Nashville lasts 6 games.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8 p.m. Detroit at Nashville CNBC, CBC

Friday, April 13, 2012 7:30 pm Detroit at Nashville CNBC, CBC

Sunday, April 15, 2012 Noon Nashville at Detroit NBC, CBC

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:30 pm Nashville at Detroit NBC Sports Network, CBC

*Friday, April 20, 2012 8 p.m. Detroit at Nashville CNBC, CBC

*Sunday, April 22, 2012 TBD Nashville at Detroit TBD

*Tuesday, April 24, 2012 TBD Detroit at Nashville TBD

I'll never root for another team to beat us, I'll never stop hoping we win games. That doesn't mean if I think we're over-matched, I'm going to lie and say we're not just to keep people from s***ting their pants and then throwing the contents at me. I love the Red Wings, and I have for a long, long time. However, when you're in a relationship with something (or someone) as long as I've been in this "relationship" with the Red Wings, it has evolved well past the honeymoon phase, when they can do no wrong and anyone who thinks different is just a meanie poopy-head hater. I'm solidly into the "I can love you but still be objective" phase, and if other people don't like that, I don't really care.

Fair enough. But as a fan of the Wings, why would you come on the fan website like LGW and proclaim that your team is going to lose. What is the point of that? There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but what is the point of non-constructive criticism? Internet forums are being over-run with haters and name callers.