• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#121 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ericsson and Allen are both VERY effective penalty killers.  Who knows about Wiz and Kronwall, but it can't be worse than the glut of offensive minded defensemen we already have under contract.

Ericsson is not very effective yet. And I'd argue they would be in a worse situation because you would be stuck with mediocre defenseman for 5-8 more years. If Enstrom hit the open market, and Holland didn't go after him I'd hold him accountable. But the players you mentioned would not make us a better team in the long term, although that is just my opinion of course.

#122 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

If I remember correctly He did make a comment saying he didn't want to play with Detroit. I may be mistaken.

Maybe so, but Johnny Damon said he'd never be a Yankee.  Money talks it professional sports.

No one can relly answer that except Wisniewski. Maybe he's buddies with someone on the team and wanted to play with them. Who knows?

You can't just buy people out to make room for huge contracts. This isn't NHL13.

As a matter of fact you absolutely CAN buyout terrible contracts, per the new CBA signed weeks ago.  Might want to read up on that.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#123 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I do agree to an extent. But I also think Ken Holland is still acting like the best GM. I think not spending a forture on the limited Dmen available this past summer or trading some of our depth and or future was a smart move on his part. Just obviously not a popular one.

Did he necessarily have to spend a fortune, though? I mean, for the love of Defense Itself: you lose Brian Rafalski, Nick Lidstrom, Brad Stuart, you bring in a heavy. That's just GMing 101.

I can appreciate the smart-though-not-popular angle. But I think, really, it was complacency more than anything else.

(There's one possibility we haven't considered: that Nick may not have been entirely unequivocal about the terms of departure. In other words, maybe he left Ken with a bit of hope that he might consider returning after however many months. If I'm Holland, I probably save a big chunk of cash so that I can give Nick a blank check further down the road, should it come to that. Of course, that's also kinda Denial territory, thinking Nick might come back.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#124 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

As a matter of fact you absolutely CAN buyout terrible contracts, per the new CBA signed weeks ago.  Might want to read up on that.

Yea, umm he'd have to sign these guys during the old CBA.

#125 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Maybe so, but Johnny Damon said he'd never be a Yankee.  Money talks it professional sports.

I know all about the new CBA, thanks. All of the players you named could either be traded or would be taken on waivers before we tried to buy them out. Which just makes it a stupid argument is all.

#126 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Ericsson is not very effective yet. And I'd argue they would be in a worse situation because you would be stuck with mediocre defenseman for 5-8 more years. If Enstrom hit the open market, and Holland didn't go after him I'd hold him accountable. But the players you mentioned would not make us a better team in the long term, although that is just my opinion of course.

Our penalty kill percentage plummeted after Ericsson was hurt last year.  Bobcock himself discussed how valuable Ericsson was in that regard.  Also, every contract I would have signed would have expired no later than five years from now, I have no idea where you're getting 8 years from.  Allen's contract will expire when he's 35, Wiz's when he's 33, and Carle's at 33.  We'd have had them all during their primes, we wouldn't have been paying any of them when they were old and ineffective, and at least two of the three have a ton of potential trade value considering they can score.

I know all about the new CBA, thanks. All of the players you named could either be traded or would be taken on waivers before we tried to buy them out. Which just makes it a stupid argument is all.

If they're claimed off waivers they wouldn't count against our cap, so the money's clear either way.  And the buyouts apply to contracts signed before the new CBA as Wade Redden found out.

Yea, umm he'd have to sign these guys during the old CBA.

Wade Redden was signed under the old CBA and bought out under the new one.  Cleary, Bert, or Ericsson could be too.  Next.

The lineup I posted above was easily possible, and money could still easily be cleared in the future to resign Flip, Howard, and Brunner while still staying under the 64.5 cap for next year.  Naysay all you guys want, but it's true.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 January 2013 - 02:32 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#127 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

No one can relly answer that except Wisniewski. Maybe he's buddies with someone on the team and wanted to play with them. Who knows?

You can't just buy people out to make room for huge contracts. This isn't NHL13.

actually you can... each team can buy out 2 players before the start of 2013/2014 season

#128 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Cleary is a UFA at years end..... Bertuzzi doesn't even take up that much cap space, and Ericsson is a top 4 dman on every team in this league. Again, bad argument.

#129 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Wasn't Kent Huskins under Babcock while he was at Anaheim?  Maybe Babs had some input into the decision to pick him up...

#130 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

actually you can... each team can buy out 2 players before the start of 2013/2014 season

I know, BUT you still have to waive them before you buy them out.

#131 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Cleary is a UFA at years end..... Bertuzzi doesn't even take up that much cap space, and Ericsson is a top 4 dman on every team in this league. Again, bad argument.

Ok, let Cleary's contract expire and buyout Bert.  Give that money (almost 6 million) to Flip, Howard, and Brunner (if he deserves it) for raises.  Re-sign Ericsson if you want, or don't, who cares, you're still under the cap, with everyone re-signed.

#132 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Wasn't Kent Huskins under Babcock while he was at Anaheim?  Maybe Babs had some input into the decision to pick him up...

No, he wasn't.

#133 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I know, BUT you still have to waive them before you buy them out.

Who cares?  If they are claimed off waivers they don't count against your team's cap and the money can be spent to re-sign Flip, Howard, and Brunner!

Edited by kipwinger, 22 January 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#134 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

He didn't have to sign with Columbus. He would've become a free agent if he hadn't have signed and I'm sure he and his agent knew that.

No one has mentioned that he is a turd. he publically dissed detroit so why would we want him? He gets suspended over the blow job gesture to Sean Avery. Then he elbows Clutterbuck after the game is OVER and gets 8 games. Another 8 games for a head hunting job on Seabrrok....and yet another for one against Doan. heacts like a 10 year old at best.

As for his numbers, the last 3 years, he is a minus player and has had only one season that was offensively solid. I would rather MANY, MANY defenseman over this childish little weasel.

• DSM likes this
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#135 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Wiz (from Michigan) didn't sign with Detroit cuz Holland low balled him.  Doesn't anyone remember the "fair market value" quote?  He signed with Columbus for more money period.  Kenny's too cheap.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#136 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

No one has mentioned that he is a turd. he publically dissed detroit so why would we want him? He gets suspended over the blow job gesture to Sean Avery. Then he elbows Clutterbuck after the game is OVER and gets 8 games. Another 8 games for a head hunting job on Seabrrok....and yet another for one against Doan. heacts like a 10 year old at best.

As for his numbers, the last 3 years, he is a minus player and has had only one season that was offensively solid. I would rather MANY, MANY defenseman over this childish little weasel.

Like Ian White, Colaiacovo, or Quincey?  Because that's exactly who you did get. 

Also, since when is being overly aggressive a bad thing.  Everybody hated Tootoo until yesterday.  Personally, I think some roughneck m*****f***** is exactly what we need.  How many times do we have to say, "we need someone to stand up for our stars"?  Wizniewski does, which I can't say for any member of our current defense.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#137 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Wiz (from Michigan) didn't sign with Detroit cuz Holland low balled him.  Doesn't anyone remember the "fair market value" quote?  He signed with Columbus for more money period.  Kenny's too cheap.

esteef

5.5mil for 5 years is not what I would of wanted to pay for him. So im glad Holland "low balled" him.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#138 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

If we had Wiz when Zetts got creamed, old ass Bert wouldn't have had to fight Weber.  And Wiz might've actually done some damage.

esteef

#139 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

5.5mil for 5 years is not what I would of wanted to pay for him. So im glad Holland "low balled" him.

God forbid we overpay a good player as opposed to overpaying for Ericsson in the same offseason. 

#140 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

God forbid we overpay a good player as opposed to overpaying for Ericsson in the same offseason. 

Kenny's mantra "Look at all the money we saved!!"

esteef