• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Franzen has the potential to be a good power forward if only he could fight.  Either his game consists of sniping/floating from the outside which has not been effective the past few years or spending more time in front of the net and mixing it up.  And by mixing it up I do not mean all the face washes he gives while being held in the arms of the referee.  The way the game is officiated right now, he is going to get mauled every time he approaches the net and the only way to stop guys taking liberties is to drop the gloves and defend himself properly, not this after the whistle crap.  This is the definition of the soft Euro tag.

I'm not sure what else he can do - it is apparent to me that he is trying and is engaged, he is just getting mugged in front of the net.  I do not recall Shanny or even Bertuzzi (in his prime) taking that kind of abuse.

Is the Kronk gym still open?

#2 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I was at the game last night. I just about lost it when he got knocked down in front of the net late in the 3rd and just laid there....

I wonder what Homer would have done.

This guy is just gone mentally. He can't create his own shot and doesn't work for any ice. He is done.

#3 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'd rather him focus on taking the body in the corners and the forecheck.

Playing hockey would be a priority for me, rather then throwing punches.

#4 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I've said for a year and a half now, he needs to go. Take his 4 mil or so and put it towards someone who will put forth some effort and not set a horrible example. If only this guy had the work ethic of Hank or Flip.

#5 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I knifehand'ed my television so hard when he got knocked down and just laid like a dead fish for 30 seconds. I couldn't contain myself, I just wanted to destroy him. To display that type of stuff on a home opener, after all of your bulls***ty quotes we've heard for the past 2 seasons.. mule.. you don't even RATE that name. You're absolutely no work horse, you don't even have heart. /vent /rant /imdone #hashtag

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#6 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I knifehand'ed my television so hard when he got knocked down and just laid like a dead fish for 30 seconds. I couldn't contain myself, I just wanted to destroy him. To display that type of stuff on a home opener, after all of your bulls***ty quotes we've heard for the past 2 seasons.. mule.. you don't even RATE that name. You're absolutely no work horse, you don't even have heart. /vent /rant /imdone #hashtag

To be fair, he had the D's stick between his legs and I think he was trying to tie him up until the Wings could get a shot off, that they never did.

I am with you, my initial thought was: "Great, now Mule is just going to literally lay on the ice."

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#7 Rebound

Rebound

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

To be fair, he had the D's stick between his legs and I think he was trying to tie him up until the Wings could get a shot off, that they never did.

While I understand that, my issue is he was also blocking a good portion of the net. Goalie should have thanked him...>_>

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#8 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

So let me get this straight we have a 30 goal guy on a very reasonable 3.95 mill per year cap hit and we should just buy him out? put him on waivers? send him to work at Ikea?  Does the Mule need to work harder shift in and shift out ? Yea of course he does but he isn't going anywhere. 

Zajac - 423 games played - 91 goals 5.75 mill per ( but he's got potential lol)

Mule -  472 games played - 150 goals 3.95 per ( his ceiling is 30..maybe 35 but we know what we have )

His contract is too good to trade unless it makes alot of sense.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#9 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Franzen has a history of concussions, I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is get punched repeatedly in the head.

I still don't get what the big deal is about fighting in hockey. If you want to see fights and people getting concussions, watch the UFC or play video games that have fighting in them.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#10 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

So let me get this straight we have a 30 goal guy on a very reasonable 3.95 mill per year cap hit and we should just buy him out? put him on waivers? send him to work at Ikea?  Does the Mule need to work harder shift in and shift out ? Yea of course he does but he isn't going anywhere. 

Zajac - 423 games played - 91 goals 5.75 mill per ( but he's got potential lol)

Mule -  472 games played - 150 goals 3.95 per ( his ceiling is 30..maybe 35 but we know what we have )

His contract is too good to trade unless it makes alot of sense.

This is literally the only argument I ever see in favor of Mule. I am just going to call it beaten spouse syndrome. We're acting like his on paper stats outweight his on-ice negatives when they really, really do not. Laying on the ice, turning it over, floating, that cancels out some math-whiz goal vs salary BS. Sorry but it does.

#11 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

The problem will only get worse when the refs fail
to save him and his facewashing leads to a pummeling and he gets concussed once again.

I really really wish this guy had some tenacity...he would be borderline unstoppable...he would be bert in his prime.

He shows superstar spurts but no 60 minite effort....god dam we all got spoiled watching stevey lay it on the line every game like every shift was his last!

#12 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Franzen has a history of concussions, I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is get punched repeatedly in the head.

I still don't get what the big deal is about fighting in hockey. If you want to see fights and people getting concussions, watch the UFC or play video games that have fighting in them.

I'm fine with Mule not fighting but he certainly needs to finish his checks which he frequently does not.  And people like fighting in hockey because it's exciting.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#13 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm fine with Mule not fighting but he certainly needs to finish his checks which he frequently does not.  And people like fighting in hockey because it's exciting.

esteef

He's also taking on a role where he's going to be abused. He'd better learn to take it and get up. That's one thing I think we took for granted with Homer. We knew he took abuse but we took for granted the fact he'd get up as fast as he could, he could keep him balance pretty damn well and wouldn't sulk or float in his job.

#14 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

He's also taking on a role where he's going to be abused. He'd better learn to take it and get up. That's one thing I think we took for granted with Homer. We knew he took abuse but we took for granted the fact he'd get up as fast as he could, he could keep him balance pretty damn well and wouldn't sulk or float in his job.

And because of that abuse he had to take, he never missed an opportunity to lay a big hit on one of those d-men.  Loved that guy. 

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#15 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Idiots saying the same tired bulls***

Franzen and Cleary are the only wings players crashing the net. Franzen isn't a great stick handler so he isn't going to be controlling the puck a lot in the offensive zone. Flippula is supposed to be our stick handler on that line and he just gets bullied to the outside every time with the puck. I love the guy and he works hard but Franzen is a much more effective player with our roster the way it is in this first 3 games

#16 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Idiots saying the same tired bulls***

Franzen and Cleary are the only wings players crashing the net. Franzen isn't a great stick handler so he isn't going to be controlling the puck a lot in the offensive zone. Flippula is supposed to be our stick handler on that line and he just gets bullied to the outside every time with the puck. I love the guy and he works hard but Franzen is a much more effective player with our roster the way it is in this first 3 games

^I dunno what Franzen you're watching but I keep seeing him attempt to stick handle, in spite of his ability to lose it every time. He's one of those guys with good hands who doesn't know when to stop. He'll dangle himself into a turnover. Franzen doesn't crash the net as much as he floats towards it and gets knocked down. I dunno how you s*** on an absolute beast workhorse like Flip and praise Mule. That's so backwards.

#17 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

^I dunno what Franzen you're watching but I keep seeing him attempt to stick handle, in spite of his ability to lose it every time. He's one of those guys with good hands who doesn't know when to stop. He'll dangle himself into a turnover. Franzen doesn't crash the net as much as he floats towards it and gets knocked down. I dunno how you s*** on an absolute beast workhorse like Flip and praise Mule. That's so backwards.

Try watching the game without bias. Game 2 Franzen was our best forward.

Flippula is a great back checker but he doesn't do too much to create offense and we need goals

#18 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

esteef

Agreed. 

And also if he's not going to fight, he needs to knock it off with the gloved punches, suckerpunches and whatnot.  If he's going to start that crap in a scrum, he should back it up.  

#19 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Try watching the game without bias. Game 2 Franzen was our best forward.

Flippula is a great back checker but he doesn't do too much to create offense and we need goals

Yeah, must be bias. Couldn't be that you don't really know what's going on out there. No, that's certainly not possible at all.

#20 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Its like franzen has no ability to get pumped up. The guy hasn't played with passion in so long. I haven't seen him take over a shift for years now. 

I wish I could smack some sense into him. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?