Photo
- - - - -

Could Kenny be working on something HUGE?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yeah... Ovi is slated to make $9,538,462 annually through 2020-21

Somehow I don't see Holland trying to make that deal, since we've never been about super-bloated contracts.  And I'm completely fine with that.  

What irritates me the most is that standing pat is fine if you've got a good team, but when your team has been woefully inadequate for the last four years, how do you justify doing nothing?  Holland says "we like our team".  I respond...why?  They've continuously gotten worse and proved nothing when it matters. 

What's to like?  They aren't as bad as Calgary or Columbus? 

Aren't we supposed to aim a little higher than that in "Hockeytown"?

I think it's been rebranded to "Little Caesartown"

#22 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

holland?  making a big move?

lol

#23 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Ovechkin isn't 6'6" and 250 and doesn't fight. He's not what Detroit needs!!!!!!
/sarcasm.

#24 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

filppula and franzen for ovechkin???? ya right lol it would take prospects  something like a 1st nyquist patterson and sproul

and even then wed probably have to find a taker for franzen ... i would HATE to have 3 guys locked up for like 10 years that can cause massive problems down the road

#25 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

I think there's a better chance that Kenny would trade Pavs to Washington than Ovie coming this direction.  Granted, both chances are just a shade higher than "slim".

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

What irritates me the most is that standing pat is fine if you've got a good team, but when your team has been woefully inadequate for the last four years, how do you justify doing nothing?  Holland says "we like our team".  I respond...why?  They've continuously gotten worse and proved nothing when it matters. 

I'm with ya, Kip.

I get that we're not really in a position to wheel and deal. What vexes me is that we're in this spot to begin with. It feels like we do nothing, and we say our hands are tied, and that goes back to us having said the same thing six months prior - but ***we don't talk about that***...., and we do some more of nothing, and things get worse, but what can we do? Our hands are tied. We have to see what this group can do! And on and on, nothing new under the sun, etc. etc. etc.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#27 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

holland?  making a big move?

lol

i know my thoughts exactly 

#28 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

filppula and franzen for ovechkin???? ya right lol it would take prospects  something like a 1st nyquist patterson and sproul

Did you read the OP?

It said, Fil, Franzen, prospect and 1st rounder for Ovi.

Edited by Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot), 03 April 2013 - 10:07 AM.

[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#29 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

AO is awesome...needs a change of scenery, would cost us WAAAY too much. but....3 year window for pav/hank/ovie to get cup.

would that be worth the loss to improve teams drawing power to players?

hmmmm.

as for the real world...trades are cool but,

i can see both sides of the argument...on one hand, yea..its not worth the 1 month of "player" to risk a new young body drafted to play for years, or giving up on a few picks for a vet that "may" be good for 2-3yrs.

but on the other, if you trade away a player prospect or pick on a young player, say mid/late 20's the gamble is worth the risk.

i want streit/yandle/bogo on D...Streit is old, but good...if we were in better position he would be worth it only to go all in.

yandle is mid aged...good solid performer...but is he the D leader?

bogo is young...very worth it...but not ready to lead the D.

On offense, i want burmistrov, fleishmann TODAY!

fleishmann could be had for a resonable amount, emmerton/kindl or mid pick. this would be the gamble.

and burmi...the coach is grumpy with him...THIS i would trade fil and pick for.

so...i get it...is the juice worth the squeeze?

all i know is, we need serious help on the D to lead out pass, and we need a "buddy/russian" for pav to lean him into staying on for another contract.

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#30 BigWinston

BigWinston

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

I genuinely believe there will be no moves today, not even "depth" moves.  I agree with Kenny's statement saying we basically have enough depth, its the top few players we're missing.

The price will be too high though and nothing will happen in the hopes of being able to add in the off-season.

I wish we were either buyers or sellers though as that at least shows intent.  The current passive approach is just accepting more mediocrity in my opinion.

Edited by BigWinston, 03 April 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#31 SuperCalaFilppulastic!

SuperCalaFilppulastic!

Flippin' Awesome

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

The price will be too high though and nothing will happen in the hopes of being able to add in the off-season.

Will there ever be a time from now when the price isn't high to get star players? I mean, we can't just always wait and see and hold on to cap space forever. The reason we have too many depth guys right now is because we refuse to trade them or package them with mid-tier players and picks in order to take a chance on a more proven commodity. Oftentimes potential is valued more than actual performance, which is why sometimes you have to trade potential for a good return. Instead, most of our prospects overripe, gain some NHL experience and lose their potential value and now have tangible 3rd, 4th line value which can't be traded for quality.

Their value essentially decreases.

Edited by SuperCalaFilppulastic!, 03 April 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Check out my Wings autographed card collection here!

#32 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Did you read the OP?

It said, Fil, Franzen, prospect and 1st rounder for Ovi.

filppula is a ufa why would they want him??? franzen is locked for another what 8 yrs??? they wouldnt want any of those 2

#33 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Compliance buyouts, here we come.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#34 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

This is FUNNY

Whenever i need a good laugh I go to HockeyBuzz lol :lol:

Brian Campbell to the Wings?

Told it was possible....we we will see..
Source: Eklund

Filppula in high demand

While it sounds like the Red Wings will hold onto him and try to re-sign him there are some scenarios which could see that change...See the rumor above..

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#35 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I wouldn't mind a Campbell for fil swap
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#36 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

April Fools was a few days ago. 

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I wouldn't mind a Campbell for fil swap

no thanks... 

Edited by Euro_Twins, 03 April 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#38 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

But thats the problem with being a tweener team like Detroit.  We're not good enough like Pittsburgh or Boston to make a big move and really go for it.  We're not bad enough like Calgary to blow it all up.

We could turn into the '71 Canadiens as our hot goalie leads a mixture of promising kids and aging stars to one last hurrah.  Or we could fizzle out like last year.  This Wings team really is like a box of chocolates.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#39 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

It's nice to be optimistic but no way this happens. I fully expect to see no moves today for Detroit. I always was SO EXCITED for trade deadline day... Not so much anymore. Detroit as a franchise doesn't wheel and deal much anymore. It's depressing... Especially in a situation where we need to (like this year). The salary cap has but a huge damper on trade deadline day as well. I except to see only 3-5 trades today tops... And none that are of huge significance or *blockbuster* status.

I've got news for you: hardly anyone makes big deals at the deadline anymore. TSN said this morning that thus far in NHL history, there have been 845 trades on deadline day... and zero of those have happened today. The parity era has obliterated the trade deadline. There are simply too few sellers, and so those teams who are in a position to sell demand ridiculous prices, and the rest have no inclination to do something. No team wants its fanbase to say, "Hey, we were only four points out of the race... why did you lose the season for us by trading away a bunch of assets?"

TSN's deadline show used to be fast-paced and exciting. Today they're sitting around mentioning waiver pickups and talking about how bored they are, and the main subject of today has been the Kiprusoff trade that didn't happen. One of them just made a banana joke.

That's just how it is now. It's not just us sitting around, wishing something big would happen for our team. It's almost everybody.

#40 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Kenny's working on hitting the JUCK F****** POTT

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska