• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Diluvian04

Ilitch is being cheap with the Wings now that the Tigers are good.

Rate this topic

Think about it. In the past before the salary cap the wings were hitting 60 to 70 million on average for team payroll. Since the lockout we have been right at or near the cap, and then after Ilitch got Cabrera its all about the Tigers. He got a taste of success from the baseball side of things and it really seems like he has focused his attention towards baseball.

I could be looking too far into it but it seems strange to me that one payroll goes up and the other seems to be slowly rolling backwards in terms of cap hit. It's 2013 and I realize there is a cap but we are not even in the top ten for payroll and not in the top 10 in wins.

It could also be that Ilitch has always had even before the salary cap era a self imposed salary cap of around 60 million with the exception of 2002. I guess we will see if they go over 60 next year.

Teams that used to be nowhere near the talent level as Detroit are now spending more than we are.

It's rediculous the amount of money he is spending on the Tigers vs the Wings

I am a Wings slappy but I truly believe they will not make the playoffs this year. A spade is a spade.

Edited by Diluvian04

Umm... Cabrera has been a Tiger since 2007. Perhaps you mean Fielder, but I don't think you're right whatsoever.

Prince has been a Tiger for a year and the spending limit came from uncertainty about the CBA.

Edit: I will say that I agree Mr. I has a soft spot for the Tigers since he used to be a shortstop in their system before he became the pizza man, but I don't see a lot of suffering from the Red Wings because of it.

Edited by Travis

Not sure its fair to say hes refusing to pay up to the cap, as opposed to nothing is worth it that would put us in a crunch going forward. If they loaded up on salary this year, wed be unloading this summer, and still possibly missing the playoffs.

It's no denying Illitch would rather have a world series ring versus one or two more stanley cup rings but to say he is spending money on the Tigers that could otherwise be spent on the Wings probably isn't true. There is no cap in baseball so he treats them like he used to treat the Wings. He has to be more careful about his spending with the Wings and pick his purchases a lot more wisely. Even if it isn't actually him making the decisions on who to sign, he still signs the checks. So I don't agree with you saying Mr. I is being cheap with the Wings. He is just dying for a world series ring... no pun intended.

Guest DeGraa55

Didn't he just propose yo build a 900m. Dollar hockey arena and he will pay for nearly all of it? Damn you illitch for holding out we want a billion dollar arena!

Guest Crymson

There is no truth whatsoever to the OP's allegation. Ilitch gave Holland the OK to offer massive contracts to Suter and Parise last season. The reason that the Wings aren't at the cap is that there weren't exactly a ton of players to spend money on last offseason.

Umm... Cabrera has been a Tiger since 2007. Perhaps you mean Fielder, but I don't think you're right whatsoever.

Prince has been a Tiger for a year and the spending limit came from uncertainty about the CBA.

Edit: I will say that I agree Mr. I has a soft spot for the Tigers since he used to be a shortstop in their system before he became the pizza man, but I don't see a lot of suffering from the Red Wings because of it.

No I meant Cabrera...the only real significant player they have gotten through trade since 2007 is Brad Stuart and free agency was Hossa who took less money and he contacted them.

I'm referring to going out and getting that big difference maker like a Shanahan prior to the salary cap. People forget that Lidstrom used to make 11 million a year with a team payroll of around 60 million. Now they don't want to pay anyone. Meanwhile they are throwing money at players on the tigers like they are models in brothel. I mean Sanchez is the 4th best pitcher on the Tigers WTF!?!?

I understand that you don't want to be stupid when it comes to paying your players but as they say high risk can come with high reward.

It's no denying Illitch would rather have a world series ring versus one or two more stanley cup rings but to say he is spending money on the Tigers that could otherwise be spent on the Wings probably isn't true. There is no cap in baseball so he treats them like he used to treat the Wings. He has to be more careful about his spending with the Wings and pick his purchases a lot more wisely. Even if it isn't actually him making the decisions on who to sign, he still signs the checks. So I don't agree with you saying Mr. I is being cheap with the Wings. He is just dying for a world series ring... no pun intended.

Yep, and until they put a cap in place for baseball, I could give a crap about the sport.

No I meant Cabrera...the only real significant player they have gotten through trade since 2007 is Brad Stuart and free agency was Hossa who took less money and he contacted them.

I'm referring to going out and getting that big difference maker like a Shanahan prior to the salary cap. People forget that Lidstrom used to make 11 million a year with a team payroll of around 60 million. Now they don't want to pay anyone. Meanwhile they are throwing money at players on the tigers like they are models in brothel. I mean Sanchez is the 4th best pitcher on the Tigers WTF!?!?

I understand that you don't want to be stupid when it comes to paying your players but as they say high risk can come with high reward.

Yea and Sanchez had a great post season. The Tigers have a great rotation. That's like saying the Wings can't have anyone who makes more than 2 mil on their third or fourth lines. If we had 4 great centers, one of them would probably be a highly paid 4th liner. Nothing wrong with that.

There is no truth whatsoever to the OP's allegation. Ilitch gave Holland the OK to offer massive contracts to Suter and Parise last season. The reason that the Wings aren't at the cap is that there weren't exactly a ton of players to spend money on last offseason.

They didn't make one offer to any restricted free agents. The flyers threw it out there because they were going for it. They lost Pronger and tried to get Weber but at least they tried. We lost Lidstrom and went after Suter... Really? Weber is the better of those two and we went after #2. I guess just remember the good old days.

They didn't make one offer to any restricted free agents. The flyers threw it out there because they were going for it. They lost Pronger and tried to get Weber but at least they tried. We lost Lidstrom and went after Suter... Really? Weber is the better of those two and we went after #2. I guess just remember the good old days.

You're right, before the Tigers were relevant Holland was just ALWAYS offering HUGE contracts to RFAs from other teams. Pretty much his middle name that was... oh wait...

Yea and Sanchez had a great post season. The Tigers have a great rotation. That's like saying the Wings can't have anyone who makes more than 2 mil on their third or fourth lines. If we had 4 great centers, one of them would probably be a highly paid 4th liner. Nothing wrong with that.

He is the 4th best and getting paid like a top two. Again I'm not dissing the Tigers I just don't want the wings to play second fiddle to a team that hasn't won in 29 years. It isn't fair to Red Wing fans. I'm all for having two great teams but if your going to own both maybe you should approach them with same mindset. If not then maybe you shouldn't own two teams.

And with signing a player to a maximum allowed contract, which would be a cap hit of $12.86m a year next season or 20% of the total cap, you would cripple your team's ability to compete. With the current average NHL contract being worth $2.45m a season, you could afford your supposed high risk/high reward player & 20 additional average players to fill out your roster. Comparing how much Mr. I can spend on salaries for the Tigers vs. the Wings is a complete waste of time because of a little thing called the NHL salary cap.

Yeah because the NHL has a long history of GMs making offers to other team's restricted free agents & when they do, they're almost never matched by the player's current team. :ok:

He is the 4th best and getting paid like a top two. Again I'm not dissing the Tigers I just don't want the wings to play second fiddle to a team that hasn't won in 29 years. It isn't fair to Red Wing fans. I'm all for having two great teams but if your going to own both maybe you should approach them with same mindset. If not then maybe you shouldn't own two teams.

When Scherzers contract is up, he will probably get paid more than Sanchez. It's just the nature of the game and it depends when you hit free agency. As everyone has already said here, Illitch isn't going to just throw money at players who don't deserve it just because the Wings aren't right at the cap. They made very competitive offers to Suter and Parise. Going after RFAs is extremely uncommon in the NHL and if you think the Preds weren't going to match an offer by a division rival, you're crazy.

Edited by 8 Legged RedWing

Yeah because the NHL has a long history of GMs making offers to other team's restricted free agents & when they do, they're almost never matched by the player's current team. :ok:

My point is not targeting EVERY rfa. It's going after the best available person who can replace your best player. Salary cap or no salary cap players are getting paid the same now as they were prior to the salary cap. Check out the salaries leading up to right before the salary cap was put in place. It is very similar to the last 3 years. The rangers went nuts at 80 million and we had one year where we went nuts other than that it's about the same.

Guest Crymson

The decision to not make offers to RFAs did not in the least concern money. And given that the Red Wings have not yet pitched an offer sheet during Ilitch's ownership (and for some time before that), I'm not sure how this topic refers to the pre-cap days.

Are you aware of what is involved in signing a player to an offer sheet?

Edited by Crymson

You are wrong again. Suter is the better all around player than Weber. Weber gets the headlines because of his size and big shot but Weber has not looked good without Suter. Nashville loses Suter and keeps Weber and goes from a playoff team to barely a .500 team. Minnesota picks up Suter and are now a solid playoff team. You also cant compare the Wings going after one or the other due to the fact that Weber was a restricted free agent and Suter was unrestricted. It makes a big difference when you have to put out big money and picks compared to just offering a big contract. Illitch is not a problem with the organization. He will let Kenny spend as much as the league allows. The problem is Kenny not getting the job done.

Guest Playmaker

My point is not targeting EVERY rfa. It's going after the best available person who can replace your best player. Salary cap or no salary cap players are getting paid the same now as they were prior to the salary cap. Check out the salaries leading up to right before the salary cap was put in place. It is very similar to the last 3 years. The rangers went nuts at 80 million and we had one year where we went nuts other than that it's about the same.

The only thing you do when making a ridiculous RFA offer is piss off other GMs. What good did it do the Flyers to make an offer sheet to Shea Weber? The only one who benefitted was Weber and the other teams who will be in Nashville's division because of the nature of his contract.

The first thought that went through my head when I read the topic title was "What an ungrateful ******* ***** ** ****." First, the money that was earmarked for certain players was never necessary; second, there were no viable back up plans; third, the cap was expected to shrink. Spending up to the cap at that point would have put us in a bad salary dump position; why sign some players only to have to buy them or others out?

Just because the Wings are going through a few speed bumps is no reason to turn on the man who lost millions of his own money for YEARS to keep this team here; spent millions of his own dollars to sign the best talent available and has given back more to his players and this town than any other NHL owner. I think you owe Mr. I an abject apology.

I heard that Holland doesn't like pizza and he kept it hidden for years until just in the last couple of years Ilitch found out so he won't spend another dime on this team unless Holland delivers 4267 pizzas in a 1982 Honda Accord. Thats just what I heard..................................

Edited by puckbags

Ilitch has been vocal about his dislike for the NHL's salary cap and that he likes that baseball doesn't have one.

That being said, I don't think the Wings not being up against the cap is some evidence of him spending money on the Tigers that he could've used on the Wings.

The Wings have what $7 million in cap room? When you're talking about the amount of money Ilitch spends on these franchises, plus or minus 7 million is chump change.

It's probably more a sign of Holland being even more conservative than usual the last couple seasons because of the new CBA and lower cap.