• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MidMichSteve

Bert thinks he'll be back this season

Rate this topic

Story

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Todd Bertuzzi is eyeing an April 22 date with the Coyotes as a possible return.

Bertuzzi has been practicing regularly for most of April and is as encouraged as he's been in months that he may yet see another game. He hasn't played for the Detroit Red Wings since Feb. 7 because of nerve pain in his right leg.

"I just keep pushing it," he said. "I'm hoping if it can stay the course, I'm going to see the doctor again, and then push for maybe out west. I need to get into a handful of skates where I'm not in pain.

Wings desperately need Bert back in the lineup. Not only his chemistry with Pavel being so great, but he's also become much better defensively in this later stage of his career, and he almost always nets one in shootout situations. If we're really gonna make a serious run here we def need Bert

I understand bert's desire to play again. but he really needs to think about his long term quality of life. No Hockey game is worth not being able to walk, play with your kids etc... he has already had 2 major back surguries, and if he isn't real carefull could have a 3rd. I would like to see bert healthy. Period. i don't care if he ever plays again. he has had a long and successful career. No need to risk his life or spend the rest of it wheel chair bound.

I understand bert's desire to play again. but he really needs to think about his long term quality of life. No Hockey game is worth not being able to walk, play with your kids etc... he has already had 2 major back surguries, and if he isn't real carefull could have a 3rd. I would like to see bert healthy. Period. i don't care if he ever plays again. he has had a long and successful career. No need to risk his life or spend the rest of it wheel chair bound.

The man wants to play, man. Let the man play!

Guest The Axe

I'm not a Bert fan (just because of his play, nothing to do with the incident), but I hope he gets his health back.

Bettuzzi's biggest asset, and one our team has desperately needed is his size and puck protection. Our team is not strong on the puck along the perimeter (aside from Dats and Z who are regularly double-teamed). The Wings play much better when they can hold onto the puck down low and dictate the speed of the game. Bertuzzi is good at hanging onto pucks and moving them to open ice, and its going to give Pavel and Z more time and space to be creative.

Having said that, this guy is on a multi-year contract right now if I'm not mistaken, and I think it may be a better option to wait and make sure he's as healthy ad possible before jumping into the chaos at 70-80%. But I'm not the doctor nor the player, so it ain't my call.

It would be a big boost for the boys to see Bert come back. Not only would that help push bottom 6 players back into the bottom 6, but Bert is a centerpiece for Pasha. Those boys got some weird connection and they make some magic. Always trying to one up each other, mock each others shoot out moves; they love each other.

Its pretty crazy how hard it is to see a player's true value until he's not playing anymore. We saw it last year with Ericsson, and Helm is pretty obvious. Bert is certainly not the best player in the league, but he is valuable to the team, especially with how poorly the offense has been doing.

I was never wild about his latest contract, but the offense needs him right now and for the final push.

We're definitely missing him. I just hope that he's in good enough shape when he comes back, because speed wasn't a great asset of his to begin with. Still, he'd be an improvement over Cleary in the top 6.

Guest Crymson

Wings desperately need Bert back in the lineup. Not only his chemistry with Pavel being so great, but he's also become much better defensively in this later stage of his career, and he almost always nets one in shootout situations. If we're really gonna make a serious run here we def need Bert

Ya. He's a valuable player, especially for his price tag. We'd have a few more points from the shootout, at the very least, were he in the lineup.

Edited by Crymson

I have always been a Bert fan and loved him with Pav. If we get anything from him being out for so long, I hope it's that more people will see what he brings to the team because a lot of people on here were bashing him hard last season.

I think the kids bring more value

I think you would need to define "value" then, because there is certainly not a single player in our farm system that would bring what Bert brings to the table for this team. If they did, they would've been called up and replaced his spot rather than Abby. There just isn't a single youth player in our system right now that will hold on to the puck, win puck battles, cause havok, create space, and produce as much as Bert will.

I really hope he can come back and provide what he did previously because he will change the dynamic of this team. No, I don't believe Bert is the second coming of Jesus himself, but I do believe he brings an element we need desperately in the top 6, which is someone else to actually hold onto the puck for an extended amount of time.

We're not going anywhere this post season (if we even make it) no need for Bert to push really hard to make it back and maybe injure something permanently. He's had a long history of back problems and with his age and the fact that it spread to his legs it may be life altering if he continues to push it and something goes wrong.

Rest up and get ready for next year Bert and Helmer.

got a stick up your ***? The man's getting there for age eh, let em play all the games he can

LOL righttt,

He's 38 has a wife and 2 kids he totally shouldn't worry about walking and living comfortably for the rest of his life.

He may love hockey but I highly doubt it's more important than having an enjoyable life for the rest of his (hopefully) 40+ years.

I think you're overplaying this injury like he's currently a vegetable. His back was pretty bad at first, but it's been getting better. The main objective was his push-off on one leg, otherwise he wasn't feeling that bad. He's got outstanding doctors that will ensure he is more than ready to play, remember, he has to get cleared to play.