44 replies to this topic

#1 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Story

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Todd Bertuzzi is eyeing an April 22 date with the Coyotes as a possible return.

Bertuzzi has been practicing regularly for most of April and is as encouraged as he's been in months that he may yet see another game. He hasn't played for the Detroit Red Wings since Feb. 7 because of nerve pain in his right leg.

"I just keep pushing it," he said. "I'm hoping if it can stay the course, I'm going to see the doctor again, and then push for maybe out west. I need to get into a handful of skates where I'm not in pain.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#2 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hope he can come back, he'd really help our top 6 if he's healthy.

#3 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

I really want to see #44 again

IPB Image

#4 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Wings desperately need Bert back in the lineup. Not only his chemistry with Pavel being so great,  but he's also become much better defensively in this later stage of his career, and he almost always nets one in shootout situations. If we're really gonna make a serious run here we def need Bert

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#5 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I understand bert's desire to play again. but he really needs to think about his long term quality of life. No Hockey game is worth not being able to walk, play with your kids etc... he has already had 2 major back surguries, and if he isn't real carefull could have a 3rd. I would like to see bert healthy. Period. i don't care if he ever plays again. he has had a long and successful career. No need to risk his life or spend the rest of it wheel chair bound.

#6 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I understand bert's desire to play again. but he really needs to think about his long term quality of life. No Hockey game is worth not being able to walk, play with your kids etc... he has already had 2 major back surguries, and if he isn't real carefull could have a 3rd. I would like to see bert healthy. Period. i don't care if he ever plays again. he has had a long and successful career. No need to risk his life or spend the rest of it wheel chair bound.

The man wants to play, man.  Let the man play!

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#7 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'm not a Bert fan (just because of his play, nothing to do with the incident), but I hope he gets his health back.

#8 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Bettuzzi's biggest asset, and one our team has desperately needed is his size and puck protection. Our team is not strong on the puck along the perimeter (aside from Dats and Z who are regularly double-teamed). The Wings play much better when they can hold onto the puck down low and dictate the speed of the game. Bertuzzi is good at hanging onto pucks and moving them to open ice, and its going to give Pavel and Z more time and space to be creative.

Having said that, this guy is on a multi-year contract right now if I'm not mistaken, and I think it may be a better option to wait and make sure he's as healthy ad possible before jumping into the chaos at 70-80%. But I'm not the doctor nor the player, so it ain't my call.

#9 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

It would be a big boost for the boys to see Bert come back. Not only would that help push bottom 6 players back into the bottom 6, but Bert is a centerpiece for Pasha. Those boys got some weird connection and they make some magic. Always trying to one up each other, mock each others shoot out moves; they love each other.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Bertuzzi is an important piece of this team, even if he doesn't score all the time.  Our time of puck possession will increase the moment he steps on the ice.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Even if he just plays in he shootouts we need him back.

#12 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Its pretty crazy how hard it is to see a player's true value until he's not playing anymore. We saw it last year with Ericsson, and Helm is pretty obvious. Bert is certainly not the best player in the league, but he is valuable to the team, especially with how poorly the offense has been doing. 

I was never wild about his latest contract, but the offense needs him right now and for the final push.

Posted Image

#13 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

We're definitely missing him.  I just hope that he's in good enough shape when he comes back, because speed wasn't a great asset of his to begin with.  Still, he'd be an improvement over Cleary in the top 6.

#14 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Wings desperately need Bert back in the lineup. Not only his chemistry with Pavel being so great,  but he's also become much better defensively in this later stage of his career, and he almost always nets one in shootout situations. If we're really gonna make a serious run here we def need Bert

Ya. He's a valuable player, especially for his price tag. We'd have a few more points from the shootout, at the very least, were he in the lineup.

Edited by Crymson, 15 April 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#15 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

I welcome Bert back, we definitely need him... if only for getting our ping-pong table taken away from opposing teams in the play-offs:

http://sports.yahoo....-131500201.html

_

You da man Bert!

Edited by RedWingsDad, 15 April 2013 - 03:24 PM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#16 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

We need a guy like Bert. But I'm worried whose spot will he take?

#17 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

We need a guy like Bert. But I'm worried whose spot will he take?

Should be Cleary.  

Won't be, though.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#18 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

I was thinking most likely to sit out would be either Nyquist or Tootoo depending on the opponent. 

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Jimmy Howard

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#19 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

I think the kids bring more value

#20 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

I have always been a Bert fan and loved him with Pav. If we get anything from him being out for so long, I hope it's that more people will see what he brings to the team because a lot of people on here were bashing him hard last season.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk