• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Franzen Buyout?

Rate this topic

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's never gonna happen--especially since Ilitch would have to pay a lot of real dollars for this to happen--but if you guys were GM, would you buy out Franzen? Sorry if this doesn't warrant its own topic.

I thought Franzen played great late in the regular season, and really thought it would carry over into the playoffs. It just didn't though--and that put a lot of extra pressure of Pavel and Hank.

As frustrating as he is, he still scores goals for a reasonable cap hit ($3.955 million for 7 more years). So, personally, I don't see the value in buying him out. We're not going to replace his production for that money. If only someone could just light a fire under him (I heard he was smiling in the handshake line tonight; if true, that's quite disconcerting). I just hate the questionable effort.

We'd just go chasing after his replacement and overspend to do it. The Wings are very well poised going into this new buyout era. They have valuable players locked up long term and it sounds like Datsyuk will join that group this summer. The kids impressed very much but we still need a big winger who can score and isn't afraid to go stand in front of the net.

Guest DeGraa55

For those that think illitch wouldn't buy him out frankly don't know anything. Illitch has always been willing to throw money at his teams. They're also businesses and sometimes you have to cut your losses. The question isnt if illitch would be OK with it.

Its a question of if Holland would do so and basically admit it was a bad contract. Which I don't see happening. This team needs to free agents to play on the second line. Not paying fil or FTA Zen gives us the money to do so.

I'd do it - this team needs an attitude adjustment. They won't be getting rid of Kronner/Dats/Z for obvious reasons, so the next tier down is what needs to change. that next tier is Fil/Franzen/Sammy/Bert - basically all veterans who have either out-lived their usefulness due to age/injury or because they don't play with enough grit/passion/determination and they don't consistently bring the same effort every game.

Franzen just isn't the same player that he was when he signed that contract. when the effort is there he still is, but it took 40 games for it to show up in the regular season and then it disappeared again once the playoffs started. that is entirely unacceptable.

Guest Crymson

His production for the cap hit is great, but I'm worried about what happens when he retires and we have a huge cap hit on our hands for nothing. Thats the only reason I'd want to buy him out.

Only those contracts with "cap advantage" will remain on the books if the player retires. "Cap advantage" contracts are those with a salary different from the cap hit. Franzen's contract pays $4m per year for its entire length. Should he retire before it ends, the Wings will be on the books for none of his cap hit.

Only those contracts with "cap advantage" will remain on the books if the player retires. "Cap advantage" contracts are those with a salary different from the cap hit. Franzen's contract pays $4m per year for its entire length. Should he retire before it ends, the Wings will be on the books for none of his cap hit.

Not true.

09-10: $5.5M

10-11: $5M

11-12: $5.25M

12-13: $5.25M

13-14: $5M

14-15: $5M

15-16: $5M

16-17: $3.5M

17-18: $2M

18-19: $1M

19-20: $1M

So there indeed would be a "cap advantage" penalty.

As much as Franzen floats... He still is one of the beat values... He makes 3.9 now keep in mind Filppula is asking for more then that and u decided...

Franzen for 3.9 or Filppula for 4.5 or so... Lol pretty comical when you lay it out eh

Edited by Crashnburnluder

This summer? No. This summer I use my 2 compliance buyouts on Sammy and Bertuzzi (sorry Bert)

I believe there's another buyout period next summer? I'd certainly let him know his name is on the shortlist for a buyout in 2014. Yeah, he's a decent cap hit for his production, but its his effort and attitude that bother me - it sends entirely the wrong message to the team, especially a team that is going to be filled with youngsters.

Why buy him out, trade him for anything in return. At least will get sometihing in return & no buy out fee to pay. I'd trade him this year I'd say before his value falls more.

Edited by KrazyGangsta

No way, he is still a good player, and we can win with him. We also don't have many sniping wingers to replace him with. He's an asset, regardless of his "downfalls" as a consistent player.

Honestly he is just frustrating to watch, but his contribution is worth his cap hit, especially if the cap rises during his contract. Free agency isn't exactly the talent hot bed it used to be. It's a seller's market and big name players go to the team that pays the most ridiculous contract. I doubt we could find anyone to use his cap hit better.

I voted no. I'm disgusted by his effort level in the playoffs and the fact that he watches Z and Dats work their asses off and can't even get open in a spot with a good shooting angle, but he still has value and he's still a top 6 guy, where not all of our top 6 are. Our top 6 is Z, Dats, Mule, Nyquist and maybe Brunner. That's 5 guys and Brunner may be a 2-3 tweener.

We also can't expect Ilitch to foot a large bill to buy him out. that would be 40-50 mil would it not? And like a few have stated, he still has trade value, so I'd push that route first.

If I was GM and could amnesty buyout someone, it would be Sammy. Tuzzi will likely be a LTIR and then retire after next season, so he won't really be taking a spot.

As frustrating as it can be - who do we find via UFA to replace him?

I see the buyouts going to Sammy, and Bert...Those 2 will be replaced with the kids.

Nathan Horton and David Clarkson are really the only 2 that come to mind. I thought you had to use an amnesty buyout during the season and the other if you choose to do so, in the offseason. I could be wrong, but can anyone confirm this?

Can't buy him out. Why reward his terrible effort, inconsistency scoring, and general disinterest with a $22.5M pay check and the opportunity to get paid more elsewhere? I hate watching this bum, but its never going to happen. I've said it for 3 years now: dock his ice-time, scratch him from time to time, do something, ANYTHING to get the guy playing like he should. He has had a free ride and he is way too comfortable.

Through 14 playoff games, Franzen ended up with 6 measly points and a team-worst -7 (tied for 3rd worst in the league). Worse than that, he played soft. Terrible effort, perimeter play, few quality chances despite the work of his linemates. Until a 3rd period flurry last night, he showed nothing. The guy has arguably the Top 3 skillset/talent on the team, but by far the worst effort. That is shameful. Imagine a guy with Zetterberg's drive given Franzen's tools (size/shot).

We can't buy him out, but next year when he is floating most of the season, can we stop pretending his point production off his linemates' work justifies his $4M cap-hit while he continues to cash $5M+ paychecks?

And can we put to bed his clutch playoff status, circa 2008-2010?

2008: 16GP 13G 18PTS +13 ($900K)

2009: 23GP 12G 23PTS +8 ($1.15M)

2010: 12GP 6G 18PTS +8 ($5.5M)

(AVERAGE: 1.157 PPG)

2011: 8GP 2G 3PTS -1 ($5M)

2012: 5GP 1G 1PT -1 ($5.25M)

2013: 14GP 4G 6PTS -7 ($5.25M)

(AVERAGE: 0.37 PPG)