Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

Franzen Buyout?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

Poll: Franzen Buyout?

Would you use an amnesty buyout on Franzen this summer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

It's never gonna happen--especially since Ilitch would have to pay a lot of real dollars for this to happen--but if you guys were GM, would you buy out Franzen? Sorry if this doesn't warrant its own topic.

I thought Franzen played great late in the regular season, and really thought it would carry over into the playoffs. It just didn't though--and that put a lot of extra pressure of Pavel and Hank.

As frustrating as he is, he still scores goals for a reasonable cap hit ($3.955 million for 7 more years). So, personally, I don't see the value in buying him out. We're not going to replace his production for that money. If only someone could just light a fire under him (I heard he was smiling in the handshake line tonight; if true, that's quite disconcerting). I just hate the questionable effort.

#2 mtuhockey7

mtuhockey7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

While he floats a lot of the time, he's got the weight to throw around, experience from some long playoff runs, and a deadly wrister when it's on.  I say no.

#3 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

Samuelsson, yes... Franzen still has value. There's enough space on this team to knock of a few older guys, without compromising the "core"... so long as Nyquist, Andersson and Tatar are on this team next season, I'll be happy.

#4 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

His production for the cap hit is great, but I'm worried about what happens when he retires and we have a huge cap hit on our hands for nothing. Thats the only reason I'd want to buy him out.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#5 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

You will be hard pressed to find better production for his cap hit.

#6 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

We'd just go chasing after his replacement and overspend to do it. The Wings are very well poised going into this new buyout era. They have valuable players locked up long term and it sounds like Datsyuk will join that group this summer. The kids impressed very much but we still need a big winger who can score and isn't afraid to go stand in front of the net. 

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#7 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:26 AM

Why would you buy him out?  He only makes 3.7 something against the cap, and with that cap hit he's a tradeable asset.

#8 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

he isnt over paid. sooo no

#9 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

For those that think illitch wouldn't buy him out frankly don't know anything. Illitch has always been willing to throw money at his teams. They're also businesses and sometimes you have to cut your losses. The question isnt if illitch would be OK with it.

Its a question of if Holland would do so and basically admit it was a bad contract. Which I don't see happening. This team needs to free agents to play on the second line. Not paying fil or FTA Zen gives us the money to do so.

#10 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

I'd do it - this team needs an attitude adjustment.  They won't be getting rid of Kronner/Dats/Z for obvious reasons, so the next tier down is what needs to change.  that next tier is Fil/Franzen/Sammy/Bert - basically all veterans who have either out-lived their usefulness due to age/injury or because they don't play with enough grit/passion/determination and they don't consistently bring the same effort every game.

Franzen just isn't the same player that he was when he signed that contract.  when the effort is there he still is, but it took 40 games for it to show up in the regular season and then it disappeared again once the playoffs started.  that is entirely unacceptable.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#11 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

His production for the cap hit is great, but I'm worried about what happens when he retires and we have a huge cap hit on our hands for nothing. Thats the only reason I'd want to buy him out.

Only those contracts with "cap advantage" will remain on the books if the player retires. "Cap advantage" contracts are those with a salary different from the cap hit. Franzen's contract pays $4m per year for its entire length. Should he retire before it ends, the Wings will be on the books for none of his cap hit.

#12 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:57 AM

Only those contracts with "cap advantage" will remain on the books if the player retires. "Cap advantage" contracts are those with a salary different from the cap hit. Franzen's contract pays $4m per year for its entire length. Should he retire before it ends, the Wings will be on the books for none of his cap hit.

Not true.

09-10:  $5.5M

10-11:  $5M

11-12:  $5.25M

12-13:  $5.25M

13-14:  $5M

14-15:  $5M

15-16:  $5M

16-17:  $3.5M

17-18:  $2M

18-19:  $1M

19-20:  $1M

So there indeed would be a "cap advantage" penalty.

#13 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

no but id buyout Sammy and bert bring goose and tats perminate

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#14 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

As much as Franzen floats... He still is one of the beat values... He makes 3.9 now keep in mind Filppula is asking for more then that and u decided...

Franzen for 3.9 or Filppula for 4.5 or so... Lol pretty comical when you lay it out eh

Edited by Crashnburnluder, 30 May 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#15 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

Sammy and Tootoo should be bought out

Posted Image

#16 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:40 AM

Sammy and Tootoo should be bought out

I don't see why Tootoo should be bought out. He did exactly what was expected of him-play physical, drop the gloves when needed, and put up a few points.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#17 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:51 AM

This summer?  No.  This summer I use my 2 compliance buyouts on Sammy and Bertuzzi (sorry Bert)

I believe there's another buyout period next summer?  I'd certainly let him know his name is on the shortlist for a buyout in 2014.  Yeah, he's a decent cap hit for his production, but its his effort and attitude that bother me - it sends entirely the wrong message to the team, especially a team that is going to be filled with youngsters.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#18 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

Just move him to 3rd line with helm! Make him work his ass off!

#19 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

No, he still has trade value (not that he should be traded).

#20 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Why buy him out, trade him for anything in return. At least will get sometihing in return & no buy out fee to pay. I'd trade him this year I'd say before his value falls more.

Edited by KrazyGangsta, 30 May 2013 - 06:37 AM.