• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

The Leafs are in the process of buying out Grabovski. With Flip leaving and Brunner possibly leaving, he could be a (relatively) cheap option for the Wings 2C position.

#2 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

I don't like it, but it is an option.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#3 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

stay far way from grabhovski , we shouldnt sign someone just for the sake of it , just gonna have to make a trade

#4 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

stay far way from grabhovski , we shouldnt sign someone just for the sake of it , just gonna have to make a trade

What don't you like about him? He (generally) scores more than Flip and he will likely be cheaper. His defense isn't as solid, but his offense is certainly better. IMO him for 2-4 years at 4m is better than Flip or Weiss for 5-6 years at 5-5.5m. However, he could command the same price and term as those players.

Edited by WorkingOvertime, 04 July 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#5 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

He takes a lot of nights off and floats.  Can he score, sometimes, but is very lazy.  One week into the season and Babcock would have him up the pressbox.  He will go back to Russia is my guess

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#6 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

What don't you like about him? He (generally) scores more than Flip and he will likely be cheaper. His defense isn't as solid, but his offense is certainly better. IMO him for 2-4 years at 4m is better than Flip or Weiss for 5-6 years at 5-5.5m. However, he could command the same price and term as those players.

donohue said it all , if hes not good enough for the leafs why would he be good for us?

#7 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

The Leafs are in the process of buying out Grabovski. With Flip leaving and Brunner possibly leaving, he could be a (relatively) cheap option for the Wings 2C position.

Absolutely yes.  I was intrigued before knowing that his days as a Leaf were numbered, but I didn't so much like his $5.5mil cap hit.  If he signs for $4mil or less, I'm in. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#8 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Having a "soft spot" for the Leafs - I see my fair share of them throught the season...I agree with everything you mentioned :thumbup:

He takes a lot of nights off and floats.  Can he score, sometimes, but is very lazy.  One week into the season and Babcock would have him up the pressbox.  He will go back to Russia is my guess

From what I've seen he's 1 of the few Leaf forwards digging for pucks around the net while Kessel/Kadri tend to keep their distance.

Garbo got crushed numerous times by Bruin Dmen, but he kept coming back...He could very well flourish in Detroit, and could fill the role of 2nd centerman/2nd pp unit nicely.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#9 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Over the past two seasons I've watched ~1/3 of Leafs' games, and I didn't see that from him anymore than anyone else on that team. If anything, I think he plays a little too reckless.

donohue said it all , if hes not good enough for the leafs why would he be good for us?

He wasn't a fit with the Leafs 1st line, and he was overpaid. With Bolland, Bozak, and Kadri (and possibly Weiss), the Leafs didn't need to keep his contract.

The guy also fought Chris Neil :scared:

#10 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

If he comes cheap he would be a nice pick up with one of Horton or Weiss.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#11 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

i vote no.

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,955 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

NO

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

no

#14 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Cheap and short term 1 or 2 years why not?!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#15 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

He's a good player, was overpaid. For the right deal he would be a good option for us. Also thinking of seeing him play well against Toronto and seeing the fans reaction would set this rivilary in motion quickly.

#16 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Why can't we try and move Franzen/Nyquist to play the second line center roll?

#17 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

They can, but the recent mlive reports have the Wings looking at Flip (5m+ 5+yr), Weiss (5m 5yr), Riberio (5m 5yr), and Cullen (2 yrs). If the Wings are going to sign one of these players, I don't see how Grabovski at ~4m is a bad deal.

#18 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Agreed both of their natural positions are center

#19 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Grabo is great at shootouts and one on one play, and has an underrated shot imo. I watched him the last 2 years in Toronto and he is a good player, however when Carlyle came in his game changed immediately (not sure if he was asked to become more two way ?).

For 4 million or less I would take him for 2 years to see if he proves himself back to the 60 point player he was. He also has chemistry with Datsyuk, playing with him during the lock out and have read a couple articles (translated from Russia - take it for what it's worth) stating how good he thinks Datsyuk is and enjoyed playing with him in Russia.

We will most likely sign Cleary to center our 2nd line though.

#20 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Agreed both of their natural positions are center

We have 7 centres without Flip and Cleary, who are both centers. WTF are we looking at another centre fod?