Question about Buying out Samuelsson

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 whitey

whitey

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Just to clarify, the old CBA had an August buyout period for teams having gone to arbitration with at least one player. It appears to have been eliminated in this CBA, but, even if still in exisltence, would not help the with the Sammy Sit.

And it starts again in August for ordinary buyouts.

Not what the link I provided states, nor the latest CBA

#22 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

Just to clarify, the old CBA had an August buyout period for teams having gone to arbitration with at least one player. It appears to have been eliminated in this CBA, but, even if still in exisltence, would not help the with the Sammy Sit.

It's all explained for you in the article I already quoted and linked to.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#23 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

One day, we will all get it.

#24 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Just to clarify for people...

Ordinary Buyout
- starts in August
- If Bought out Sammy's caphit this year would be 1 million as well as 1 million next season. (2/3rds spread over spread over 2 seasons)
- total of 2 million in savings for this year.

This actually isn't that bad.

And if he's sent to GR, they're getting just 1/3 freed up?

#25 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

What doesn't make sense to me is it appears that he would have gotten more money with the compliance buyout than a regular buyout, so why would he refute the compliance buyout?

#26 whitey

whitey

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

It's all explained for you in the article I already quoted and linked to.

I read it. The only way we can do that is reassign under the Redden rule, but Sammy is over 35.

http://www.capgeek.c...5-plus-contract

Meaning, we only get $100,000 of cap relief. That does not conflict with the article you posted. I am just pointing out that we are pretty much stuck wit Sammy's contract, but not under 35 guys.

Edited by whitey, 07 July 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#27 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

The league confirmed to CapGeek.com in March 2013 that the over-35 rule "doesn't apply either in the case of regular buyouts or in the case of compliance buyouts," meaning teams can use buyouts to reduce or eliminate the cap hit.

You just linked me to that quote lol

I dont think you did read it...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#28 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

People are going to be upset when Sammy is on Weiss' wing
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#29 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

What doesn't make sense to me is it appears that he would have gotten more money with the compliance buyout than a regular buyout, so why would he refute the compliance buyout?

The player gets the same amount of money in either case (2/3 of the remaining contract value). I guess Samuelsson do not think that his chances of resigning with another team after buyout are that great. So he want to get his $3M from Wings.

#30 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

I'd assign sammy to Toledo - he would waive his NTC so fast to avoid playing there. Because he doesn't have a NMC he can still be sent down I believe. Hopefully someone would claim him when we send him down. The guy doesn't have ALL the leverage and Holland can make him rot in Toledo while he earns that extra money and screws our cap. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#31 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

I'd assign sammy to Toledo - he would waive his NTC so fast to avoid playing there. Because he doesn't have a NMC he can still be sent down I believe. Hopefully someone would claim him when we send him down. The guy doesn't have ALL the leverage and Holland can make him rot in Toledo while he earns that extra money and screws our cap. 

I cant believe we have to plot revenge against a player. We're like islander fans right now! Is Ken Holland the new Garth Snow?

#32 Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

First Line Center

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

We would still have a $2.1 million dollar cap hit though, so not much better.

Posted Image

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

Holland needs a Luca Brasi.  

But Holland is to blame for signing this useless player in the first place.  Just more evidence of Holland's recent stupidity in the free agent market.  

Yep, Yzerman has been much better. Unlike Holland, he knows that defense and good goaltending are completely unnecessary.

#34 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

with his playing time, we actually siged him for 1 year at 6 million

lol

My wish: A healthy roster

#35 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

We would still have a $2.1 million dollar cap hit though, so not much better.

Well we would have it no matter what... and it would be 2.9mill I believe. Might as well make Sammy's life miserable if he wants to stick around that bad and mess with Holland's plans. I have a feeling the threat of waivers/sent down would sway Sammy's attitude.

#36 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

See sig ....

This guy is a joke, who cares about saving cap hit. Just get him off of the roster by any means necessary. 

#37 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

See sig ....

This guy is a joke, who cares about saving cap hit. Just get him off of the roster by any means necessary. 

Can you imagine trading him for an exchanged 7th round pick?

Sammy

7th round pick

for

7th round pick

Literally selling the guy for a bag of pucks to whoever wants him.

#38 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

So do we have any rumor's as to what we are going to do?  Who do we need to get rid of here?  Also is there any news on getting close on Nyquist/Tatar/Andersson/Smith?

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#39 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

1.05 million cap hit for this year and next year if we buy him out in august. Im sure thats what we'll do. The Wings may ask the league for relief in having Sammy's buyout count as a compliance buyout, considering the special circumstances.

#40 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yep, Yzerman has been much better. Unlike Holland, he knows that defense and good goaltending are completely unnecessary.

Saying someone else performed worse does not mean Holland did well. Holland has made some TERRIBLE FA acquisitions in the past. Jason Williams, Sammy, Hatcher, Conklin, Exelby, Calder, Cross, etc.

The only FAs there were really any good were Lang, Bert, Rafalski, Hossa, Miller, Eaves, Hasek 2.0.

The past 10 years is a big enough sample size to determine that FA, and trades are not Holland's strong points. He's good at managing the cap, drafting, and re-signing.