• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

penaltiesgalore.png

it's not many games you see a panalty list like that one :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#42 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

So, if they lose Clarkson (and Kessel?), how do they replace him/them? Or do they replace him/them at all? Might Holland be giving Nonis a call, or vice-versa? Probably not, but...9/30's less than a week away....

Don't Toews me, bro!

#43 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

penaltiesgalore.png

I had J. Scott in for my fantasy team that night. He got me 15 pts in those 20 seconds of hockey. Ha ha ja

it's not many games you see a panalty list like that one :P

#44 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

https://twitter.com/...984550957895680

Don't Toews me, bro!

#45 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Again if it were Crosby you would be all for the beat down he had coming Harold and you know it. Kessel had no right after Scott was engaged to keep slashing period. 

Now imagine it were Datsyuk

Just like Franzine said

"Kessel's first slash: admirable

Further slashes/spears: unnecessary but understandable"

#46 ForzaVerde

ForzaVerde

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Just like Franzine said

You dont have to imagine.

Perry went after Datsyuk. Because Datsyuk answered the bell, Perry took it easy on him and they ended up both unhurt. Datsyuk didnt slash or spear. He just showed Perry he would go if he had to. After Perry realized that, he let up out of respect and just jossled with Pavs. Cool, and code compliant by both players.

#47 RationalHatred

RationalHatred

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

No that's the most ***** ***** ass thing I've ever heard. When a goon goes after you your teams own fighter then gets involved. Its as simple as that. The ***** slashing and hacking crap has to go.

There was no fighter on the ice for Toronto. The forwards were Ashton, Bozak, and Kessel. Who exactly should have dropped their gloves and fought Scott when he elected to jump Kessel? What good would it have done for them to go after him once he got out of the penalty box and Kessel had has his ass kicked and potentially been hurt? 

This isn't like when Maguire jumped Yzerman and Probert was right there to get instant vengeance. It's all well and good to say "fighters fight fighters" but that's not how the situation developed. Kessel was entitled to use a force multiplier to defend himself. 

#48 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

There was no fighter on the ice for Toronto. The forwards were Ashton, Bozak, and Kessel. Who exactly should have dropped their gloves and fought Scott when he elected to jump Kessel? What good would it have done for them to go after him once he got out of the penalty box and Kessel had has his ass kicked and potentially been hurt? 

This isn't like when Maguire jumped Yzerman and Probert was right there to get instant vengeance. It's all well and good to say "fighters fight fighters" but that's not how the situation developed. Kessel was entitled to use a force multiplier to defend himself. 

Kessel apparently thinks he is a fighter he dropped his gloves and fought. 

Going back to Crosby. I have seen threads go for days talking about how Crosby was checked or ran hard, some even be a bit on the excessive side, and then the only thing he can do is a slash back because Crosby is no where near a fighter and he got crucified for it on here. 

Just like Franzine said

I don't have to even try because I know Dats wouldn't do a d*ck move running his mouth then when scott drops his gloves to shut him up he starts slashing like that. 

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

hkn_sabres_maple_leafs_20130922_28520255

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#50 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

You dont have to imagine.

Perry went after Datsyuk. Because Datsyuk answered the bell, Perry took it easy on him and they ended up both unhurt. Datsyuk didnt slash or spear. He just showed Perry he would go if he had to. After Perry realized that, he let up out of respect and just jossled with Pavs. Cool, and code compliant by both players.

Perry, while bigger than Datsyuk, is hardly a comparison to John Scott dropping the gloves on a faceoff to go after Kessel in a preseason game.  

Perry is not a very good fighter for starters, while Scott is a straightup goon.  Perry is also a top line player squaring off with another top line player.  And it was still a bush league move when he went after Dats. 

There is no earthly reason why Kessel should've dropped the gloves with Scott there. 

#51 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Whatever. He didn't deserve the slashes period even if he is a goon. And I really think this whole thread would be going differently if it were Crosby. I don't care what you say on that. 

In a perfect world Scott would get a 10 game suspension and Kessel would get a fine.

What!?!? Really??  What did Scott do to get 10 games again? 10 games for what!? Breaking some player code that half of these fake skilled tough guys apparently don't even live up to themselves? Kessel apparently was fine to fight someone in there. He dropped his gloves. He was no saint on the ice there. 

Lighten up Francis, it was hyperbole. 

Though it was Scott's goon tactics that set off the whole melee.  I'm glad Kessel two handed him.  Scott picked a fight with a much smaller non-fighting star player and jumped him on the faceoff to boot.  What he got was a taste of old time hockey, and he absolutely deserved it. 

As I said, I'm not even a Kessel fan, but it's an unbelievable idiotic move for a useless goon like Scott to jump Kessel on a faceoff.  I think fighting has a place in hockey but it's crap like Scott just pulled that will get it completely removed from the game. 

#52 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

While scott was out of line in challenging/threatening kessel or whatever, there is no defending a two handed slash (let alone multiple slashes).... kessel acted out of pure frustration with full intent to hurt another player. I don't care who the other player is, that makes kessel just as much of a goon as anyone.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#53 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Here's a good take on the fight that I generally agree with.  It's from one of my favorite hockey blogs, written by a former minor leaguer. 

http://blogs.thescor...jaw/#more-86077

The Sabres send John Scott over the boards, who promptly tells Phil Kessel he’s coming after him off the faceoff, then does. This is mind-blowing. My question for Scott is, what’s the plan here? Let’s say somehow the ogre catches the jackrabbit, was he just going to punch his face a bunch of times? I’m seeing it widely assumed that was the plan, and it probably was, but I just can’t believe it made sense in John Scott’s head, like, “this is going to go over swell with the league and Leafs.”

#54 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Lighten up Francis, it was hyperbole. 

Though it was Scott's goon tactics that set off the whole melee.  I'm glad Kessel two handed him.  Scott picked a fight with a much smaller non-fighting star player and jumped him on the faceoff to boot.  What he got was a taste of old time hockey, and he absolutely deserved it. 

As I said, I'm not even a Kessel fan, but it's an unbelievable idiotic move for a useless goon like Scott to jump Kessel on a faceoff.  I think fighting has a place in hockey but it's crap like Scott just pulled that will get it completely removed from the game. 

So just because we use a quote from a movie it's OK to call someone a name? I will remember that next time I need to call someone an idiot or that they are psycho so I don't get banned.  ;)

I'm not saying Scott isn't some goon because we all know he is but I just don't like the fact that people are making Kessel out to be some saint and that he was justified for trying to take someones ankles out is just beyond me. I know I keep going back to the Crosby example but it's true. If this were Crosby I'm sure even you would be saying "oh well" on this one.  Preseason game so hopefully neither get anything but if some how Scott gets suspended for any amount that will be the biggest load of crap that I have seen in a hockey game in a long time.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 23 September 2013 - 01:59 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#55 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

So just because we use a quote from a movie it's OK to call someone a name? I will remember that next time I need to call someone an idiot or that they are psycho so I don't get banned.

I'm not saying Scott isn't some goon because we all know he is but I just don't like the fact that people are making Kessel out to be some saint and that he was justified for trying to take someones ankles out is just beyond me. I know I keep going back to the Crosby example but it's true. If this were Crosby I'm sure even you would be saying "oh well" on this one.  Preseason game so hopefully neither get anything but if some how Scott gets suspended for any amount that will be the biggest load of crap that I have seen in a hockey game in a long time.

Good lord, if you recognize that it's a quote from a movie (one of my favorites) then you also know the context.  I was trying to make a joke about you seeming so worked up about this, not calling you a name.  If I weren't so lazy I'm sure there's a pic or gif of it somewhere.  I apologize if you took it personally.  I just don't see why your posts seem so angry.

And I'm not sure who's making Kessel out to be a saint.  He did give several two handed slashes to a guy.  I didn't think I needed to state that he wasn't a saint.  But if a goon like Scott came after Zetterberg or Datsyuk I'd be fine if they responded in exactly the same way. 

I don't disagree that people would be going nuts in this thread if it were Crosby.  But people also have an irrational hate for Crosby here and look for any opportunity to express it.  That's why I prefer to consider how I would feel if a Wings player did what Kessel did.  And I'd be fine with it.  Regardless of how you've decided what my opinion would be, I'd be fine had Crosby done it as well.  If you look back at my posts it's pretty clear Crosby irritates me but I don't deny what a talented player he is.  It would've been even worse had Scott gone after someone with the concussion history of Crosby. 

Frankly I do think Scott should be suspended and Rolston should be fined.  He sent out his goon to start something.  Carlyle responded by putting out the least confrontational lineup he could've picked and Scott went after Kessel anyway.

#56 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Good lord, if you recognize that it's a quote from a movie (one of my favorites) then you also know the context.  I was trying to make a joke about you seeming so worked up about this, not calling you a name.  If I weren't so lazy I'm sure there's a pic or gif of it somewhere.  I apologize if you took it personally.  I just don't see why your posts seem so angry.

And I'm not sure who's making Kessel out to be a saint.  He did give several two handed slashes to a guy.  I didn't think I needed to state that he wasn't a saint.  But if a goon like Scott came after Zetterberg or Datsyuk I'd be fine if they responded in exactly the same way. 

I don't disagree that people would be going nuts in this thread if it were Crosby.  But people also have an irrational hate for Crosby here and look for any opportunity to express it.  That's why I prefer to consider how I would feel if a Wings player did what Kessel did.  And I'd be fine with it. 

Frankly I do think Scott should be suspended and Rolston should be fined.  He sent out his goon to start something.  Carlyle responded by putting out the least confrontational lineup he could've picked and Scott went after Kessel anyway.

But you are forgetting why Scott even came out after Kessel. You keep running your mouth calling out a Goon he will at some point come out. And that's what happened. That's the difference with players Like Dat's When is the last time you seen him chirping are a goon? The code I'm sure for the skilled guys as well is don't poke the bear unless you want to "get got" Scott never even was able to get him but Kessel sure did land several slashes. And then when Kessel's team mates jumped on Scott that sure didn't stop Kessel from still hacking away. 

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#57 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

But you are forgetting why Scott even came out after Kessel. You keep running your mouth calling out a Goon he will at some point come out. And that's what happened. That's the difference with players Like Dat's When is the last time you seen him chirping are a goon? The code I'm sure for the skilled guys as well is don't poke the bear unless you want to "get got" Scott never even was able to get him but Kessel sure did land several slashes. And then when Kessel's team mates jumped on Scott that sure didn't stop Kessel from still hacking away.

How do you have any idea what Kessel was saying to Scott?  Scott being sent out had to do with the previous fight.

The Sabres were upset about Tropp getting his bell rung in a fight against a bigger opponent in Devane.  But both those guys looked like willing combatants and Tropp hit his head on the ice when he pulled Devane down.  That's not Devane's fault.  So Rolston sends out ubergoon Scott.  Carlyle counters with the least aggressive line he could've.

About the only thing that could excuse Scott's actions was if on the faceoff Kessel turned to him and said "You wanna go?"  Instead it sounds like it was Scott telling Kessel he was going to jump him. 

"I never believed in my wildest dreams that the attack would come at that type of player from the opposition, but I was wrong," Carlyle said Monday. 

http://espn.go.com/b...se-of-adversity

#58 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Ok to that point of the fight before was it fair that power forward like Jamie Devane 6'5 210lbs who has several fights fighting a 5'11 185lb more skilled winger Corey Tropp? I'm sure in Scotts eyes that was way unfair so he was going out to "settle" up. I really don't see Scott just jumping over for no reason and wanting to fight Kessel unless there was a reason. That's why this seems so strange for him.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#59 RationalHatred

RationalHatred

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Kessel apparently thinks he is a fighter he dropped his gloves and fought. 

Not really comparable. He did go, yeah, but with someone in his weight class after everyone else had paired off. He's got no business under any circumstances dropping the gloves with Scott and he knew it. 

#60 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ok to that point of the fight before was it fair that power forward like Jamie Devane 6'5 210lbs who has several fights fighting a 5'11 185lb more skilled winger Corey Tropp? I'm sure in Scotts eyes that was way unfair so he was going out to "settle" up. I really don't see Scott just jumping over for no reason and wanting to fight Kessel unless there was a reason. That's why this seems so strange for him.

I agree it was a mismatch but Tropp chose to drop the gloves. He could've just as easily skated away or given a little slash and moved on with the play. If Scott had a problem with it he should've settled with Devane.