• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

12/23 GDT : Islanders 3 at Red Wings 0

Rate this topic

Edler is -12 on a team that would be tied for 1st in the East. I don't think he's who you want.

I know what his +/- is. I also know Girardi is having a rough go of it in NYC.

But another thing I know is that sometimes a guy just needs a change of scenery. New coach, different systems, maybe a better supporting cast.

They're both very good players, and I'd take either of them over Quincey or Kindl or Lashoff (though I like Lashoff a lot and I still think Kindl could be a sleeper).

Guest Crymson

Oh noes, a hockey player had a bad season!

He's not doing very well in this season either, and the point is that he's by no means the rock-solid defenseman you play him out to be.

Guest Crymson

I know what his +/- is. I also know Girardi is having a rough go of it in NYC.

But another thing I know is that sometimes a guy just needs a change of scenery. New coach, different systems, maybe a better supporting cast.

They're both very good players, and I'd take either of them over Quincey or Kindl or Lashoff (though I like Lashoff a lot and I still think Kindl could be a sleeper).

A new coach, a different system, and a better supporting cast turned Quincey from a decent defenseman into a total failure. While it's all well and good to claim that a change can help, often it does not help, and sometimes it can even make things worse. Having given up a 1st for Quincey in a weak draft year is hard pill to swallow; imagine giving up much more for Edler or Girardi, only to watch them do poorly also.

Edler is better offensively but is generally a bit of a liability on defense, he's like a lower end Letang. Granted the additional offense would be nice he's not going to be much help improving the goals against issues.

Girardi on the other hand isn't amazing on offense but he's a solid defensive player, is capable of blocking a lot of shots and playing a physical game. If allowed to play his game, he would be a difference maker here.

If I had to pick between the two i'd bring in Girardi, i'm not opposed to Edler but I think the price that comes with him the money can be better invested elsewhere. I don't think either land here though in reality.

Guest Crymson

ok, how about a deal for Girardi and Brad Richards?

Will a giant increase in the salary cap be included in this as well? And why would we want to trade for a guy who has six more seasons at nearly $7m and was so bad last season that he ended up on the 4th line during the playoffs?

Guest Crymson

Girardi on the other hand isn't amazing on offense but he's a solid defensive player, is capable of blocking a lot of shots and playing a physical game. If allowed to play his game, he would be a difference maker here.

Again, not so. Two seasons ago, Girardi was an all-star. Since then, he has ranged from average to mediocre.