48 replies to this topic

#1 hankzet40

hankzet40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

http://www.cbssports...rida-everblades

Would take him back on the Wings in a heartbeat. He retired way too early.

#2 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

http://www.cbssports...rida-everblades

Brian Rafalski has come out of retirement and will play professional hockey again. Just not in the NHL.

On Thursday the Florida Everblades of the ECHL announced that they have signed the 40-year-old Rafalski, who hasn't played in the NHL since 2010-11 with the Red Wings when a knee issue led him to retire at the age of 37.

However last week in Detroit Rafalski put on the Winged Wheel again for the Alumni Showdown outdoors at Comerica Park and apparently that gave him the itch to play professionally again, thus the deal with the Everblades.

"I'm just excited to get back on the ice again and see where God takes me on this journey," Rafalski said in the Everblades' release.

Rafalski won three Stanley Cups in his career that spanned 830 games between the Devils and Red Wings. He also picked up two silver medals with the US national team at the 2010 and 2002 Olympic Games and was a two-time All-Star in the NHL. Apparently the Kelly Cup is missing from that resume.

Undrafted out of the University of Wisconson and Dearborn, Michigan, Rafalski was quite the point-producer throughout his career on the blue line, picking up between 40 and 60 points with regularity throughout his career. Even in his final season he had four goals and 44 assists for the Wings in just 63 games, leaving his contract and the big salary that came with it a year early.

There's no telling where this is going to go for Rafalski at this point and if he will be able to dominate the ECHL at this stage but you have to admit one thing: it is nice to see that he still has the fire to play the game and compete that he's willing to play for ECHL Florida to do it.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#3 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

I would take him back

#4 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

He's gotta be better than Q.

#5 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Sign him Kenny!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#6 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

If Kenny signs him he will automatically be our number 3 defenseman.

Edited by wings87, 09 January 2014 - 07:49 PM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#7 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Are the Everblades a Lightning affiliate? If so that means Yzerman and co get first dibs.....

#8 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Are the Everblades a Lightning affiliate? If so that means Yzerman and co get first dibs.....

That's not true.  Signing an ECHL deal has nothing to do with NHL rights.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#9 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Are you sure? If correct thanks for clarifying I didn't know. 

#10 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

He was in rough shape when he retired. He's 40 years old and undersized, having been out of the game 3 years. I loved him while he was in Detroit, but I don't think it would be worth it to sign him. (Unless it bumps Quincey out of the line-up :ninja: )

#NOMOREKINDL

#11 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Looks like that alumni game didn't only show LGW he could still play.

#12 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Realistically, I think at this stage, he'd be a defensive liability out there.

But, can he really be worse than this guy?

Kyle-Quincey-pure-power-mouthguard.jpg

#13 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

If all goes well there, I don't see why he wouldn't want to play in the AHL.. at that point I could see Kenny sending him an offer

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#14 Yeti

Yeti

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

I can guarantee when he plays in Ft Wayne against the Komets, he will not be booed.  Ask McCarty.

#15 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

According to Khan the Wings had to release him for him to play in in the ECHL.

The Red Wings last week granted Rafalski’s request to file a release with the NHL, making him an unrestricted free agent, general manager Ken Holland said. Otherwise Rafalski would have been Red Wings’ property for three years from the time he filed his voluntary retirement papers in May 2011.

Rafalski did not ask the Red Wings to sign him to a contract with the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye. He apparently wants to play close to his home in Florida while determining where this comeback will lead him.
If he plays well in the ECHL and wants to take the next step to the AHL, the Red Wings would at least talk to him.

http://www.mlive.com...seman_br_2.html

#16 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

Are you sure? If correct thanks for clarifying I didn't know. 

Pretty certain. That would circumvent the purpose of the 50 man roster.

Much like McCollum's status.  He's on an AHL only deal and thus could technically sign with any team on an NHL deal.

At least that's my understanding of it.

According to Khan the Wings had to release him for him to play in in the ECHL.

http://www.mlive.com...seman_br_2.html

That's a different issue though.  That's because he retired while under contract.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#17 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Pretty certain. That would circumvent the purpose of the 50 man roster.

Much like McCollum's status.  He's on an AHL only deal and thus could technically sign with any team on an NHL deal.

At least that's my understanding of it.

That's a different issue though.  That's because he retired while under contract.

McCollums rights are still owned by the wings, he can't just sign anywhere

#18 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

McCollums rights are still owned by the wings, he can't just sign anywhere

Good call, it was a bad example. I didn't think having the AHL-only deal extended his rights.

Vince Lombardi

#19 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

I can't see this leading to Rafalski playing again in the NHL. I don't doubt he could probably greatly improve the Red Wings ability to move the puck, but that's about the only upside at age 40.

Even three years ago, Rafalski was an undersized defensive liability that struggled with puck retrieval as his knees wore down. He made it up for it then at least with his point production and PP skill.

I'm tired of Quincey/Kindl too, but if the Red Wings are looking for other options beyond a trade, they should just call up Ouellet or Almquist for good.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#20 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

I doubt he will even come close to getting into the AHL. Rafs defensive game was slipping before he retired. Remember it was his turnover that basically lead to the series clinching goal against the sharks that year. I can see someone in there mid 20's comming back from 3 years off but not a 40 yr old. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk