• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

According to Helene St. James, Holland has stated that Franzen experienced concussion symptoms this morning and has been placed on IR

Source: https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames

Edited by BadgerBob, 28 January 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#2 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

He was only symptom free for 3f****** days, what dumbass decided that it was a good idea to let him play. Hasn't the medical staff learned by now that you don't f*** around with concussions. I'm baffled by the incompetence.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#3 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Oh I was so happy when he came back last game! Andy in I guess
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#4 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

I don't see him back, I hate to say it. I don't know what will be done with him, but I don't believe he'll play again. I don't dislike the guy, so I hope I'm wrong.

#5 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

I don't see him back, I hate to say it. I don't know what will be done with him, but I don't believe he'll play again. I don't dislike the guy, so I hope I'm wrong.

You are really taking a cliff dive into a wild conclusion. It is way to early to make such bold statements.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#6 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

*sigh*

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#7 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

I definitely hope it isn't that bad, but if he were never to be able to play again how would that impact the Wings financially? Could they do the same thing the Flyers do with Pronger and keep him on LTIR as opposed to him retiring? Either way I just hope he's healthy enough to not ever go through what Pronger does.

#8 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

How is it he was cleared so quick? Be cautious with concussions, especially when it's one of our best forwards. Rather he had sat out against Florida and continued to heal as opposed to getting him back for an assist and one point. These injuries are going to kill us, just too many to our important guys.

#NOMOREKINDL

#9 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

That is it...this guy obviously cannot get his head healthy.  He needs to hang em up.  Either that or LTIR for the rest of the season and re-evaluate this summer.  If he cannot play, he cannot play. No use in taking up a valuable roster spot and $3.9M that can go towards making this team better.  He is done, head is gone.  If he gets another hard hit, he may be scrambled eggs.  Retire Franzen...call it. Lets move on...

...guess they will recall Sammy now? :ninja:

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#10 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Its late in the season, Id be shocked if he played another game this season. Rest up mule and get healthy.

Edited by Bryguy, 28 January 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#11 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

That is it...this guy obviously cannot get his head healthy.  He needs to hang em up.  Either that or LTIR for the rest of the season and re-evaluate this summer.  If he cannot play, he cannot play. No use in taking up a valuable roster spot and $3.9M that can go towards making this team better.  He is done, head is gone.  If he gets another hard hit, he may be scrambled eggs.  Retire Franzen...call it. Lets move on...

...guess they will recall Sammy now? :ninja:

You've been calling for him to be bought out all year, to me you are just using this as another excuse to say the same thing. He obviously was cleared to play too soon, I doubt this is career ending

#12 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

This is tough.
We need to just throw him on ltir and let him get healthy, then do what someone else suggested with Cleary.
Bring him back with five or six games left in the season, let him get back into shape and see if he can keep himself onthe ice/get himself hot.
Assuming were not still struggling to stay in the playoff picture.
And does anyone know if him being on ir restricts anything for him in the Olympics, or if its different on ltir?
Cuz he needs to get healthy for the team.

#13 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

He was only symptom free for 3f****** days, what dumbass decided that it was a good idea to let him play. Hasn't the medical staff learned by now that you don't f*** around with concussions. I'm baffled by the incompetence.

3 days is enough.  At that point another day or two isn't going to matter, and more than a week is overkill.  It's not like he woke up the day after he was having headaches and said "I feel good, put me in."  He was doing everything in practice that he needed to do for those 3 days.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#14 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think his rush to get back on the ice should improve certain peoples' view of his work ethic. He knew Zetterberg was going to miss and tried his best to step up. He played well, but was obviously still not healthy. That's what we want out of him though, right? Sacrifice? I hope he gets healthy.

#15 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Franzen likely rushed to hopefully see if he could play in the Olympics. Understandable, but stupid if that's actually the case.
Anyway, I guess Jurco or Sheahan will be up with the big club a bit longer now

#16 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Poor guy.  This sucks.  Everytime things start looking up for this team, we get news like this.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#17 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

I think his rush to get back on the ice should improve certain peoples' view of his work ethic. He knew Zetterberg was going to miss and tried his best to step up. He played well, but was obviously still not healthy. That's what we want out of him though, right? Sacrifice? I hope he gets healthy.

I was impressed by his work ethic at c all year, and am proud of his toughness to try to get back.
But he's a home grown guy, so I care more about his health at this point...
Kinda like helm.
I want them in the lineup cuz were better with them in, but not if it means cutting years off their career or affects their quality of life after the game.

#18 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Helm, Sheahan, Glendening, and Andersson.  That's an awesome center group right there.   :censored:  :ranting:  :angry:

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Franzen has sadly become a vegetable.  

Feels like Eaves or Lilja when they were out forever.  You never know when he'll come back.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#20 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,184 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

3 days is enough.  At that point another day or two isn't going to matter

Disagree.

He has a history of concussion issues. And this one - which wasn't even the result of a big hit - had already sidelined him for 15 or 16 games. So, fairly serious situation. You'd think they'd err on the side of caution, especially since standard procedure calls for, I believe, a soft minimum of five straight symptom-free days.

Helm, Sheahan, Glendening, and Andersson.  That's an awesome center group right there.   :censored:  :ranting:  :angry:

Now this I agree with.

Don't Toews me, bro!