• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Gustav Nyquist Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

Saw this little paragraph under Nyquist this morning in my ESPN Fantasy league. I think it about sums up what he's done for us during this playoff race.

Nyquist scored both of Detroit's goals and went plus-2 during Tuesday's 4-2 loss in Columbus.
Spin:
He's got goals in six consecutive games now, with a total of nine tallies in that span as well as an assist and a plus-6 rating. The Wings have scored a grand total of 17 goals in their last six games, which means Nyquist's accounted for more than half their offense in that span. He's not a star in the making -- he's a star.

Pretty good article on Nyquist, before yesterday's game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-s-hottest-scorer-gustav-nyquist-shooting-for-goals--glory---playoffs-after-starting-the-season-in-ahl-161232581.html

Looks like he was prepared to take the long route to the NHL.

“It’s a good example for young players,” said Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill, the former Wings assistant GM who drafted Nyquist. “Everybody wants to get to the league real quick. But it’s a tough league, and you need your development time. He might have come up two years ago and struggled and got sent down, and before you know it, you’re back in the minors and nothing happens. He stuck with it.”

The Wings knew about Nyquist his draft year, but he didn’t really catch their eye until he showed something in a tournament late in the season at St. Petersburg, Russia, where Nill and scouts Hakan Andersson, Joe McDonnell and Mark Leach were watching. Leach lived near the University of Maine, where Nyquist was headed to college.

“He was another one of those guys – an undersized, undeveloped guy that had good skills that just kept working at it and got better,” Nill said. “Probably going to college was the best thing for him. It gave him time to develop at his own pace.”

Just saw this over at Winging it in Motown and got a kick out of it...

"Gustav Nyquist once ate three 72 oz. steaks in an hour. He spent the first 45 minutes having sex with his waitress."

He got blown like a 2goal Red Wing lead?

Sorry...it's a family forum...

Edited by T.Low

Just saw this over at Winging it in Motown and got a kick out of it...

"Gustav Nyquist once ate three 72 oz. steaks in an hour. He spent the first 45 minutes having sex with his waitress."

Hilarious. As i was laughing histarically I told my girlfriend n she replied with "I dont get it..." *facepalm*

Got to give Gus and babcock lots of credit here. Gus s in one of those zones that few players ever have. he is so hot right now that the flashing red light goes off when he jumps over the boards. He is out performing his past by a ton!

That brings me to Babcock. Gus was a play making C at GR. Babs moved him to wing and asked him to shoot more. Gus agreed and has soared! Great job by both.

While I agree that Gus was pass first in Grand Rapids, he did not play center down there. He was a wing and largely played with Andersson, Sheahan, and Jarnkrok (a little this season) at center while in the AHL.

Guest DeGraa55

What I love is all the people that wanted to trade him last offseason. The last 2 years he played well and it doesn't surprise me the success he's having this year.

Well depending on the trade I still would've. To me everyone is tradable. But we as fans also don't see the behind the scenes stuff. They had him improve and work on things and he did.

I'm glad we didn't trade him...but I'm a firm believer in trading prospects for proven players in the RIGHT trade.

Well depending on the trade I still would've. To me everyone is tradable. But we as fans also don't see the behind the scenes stuff. They had him improve and work on things and he did.

I'm glad we didn't trade him...but I'm a firm believer in trading prospects for proven players in the RIGHT trade.

Like Legwand?

Guest DeGraa55

Like Legwand?

I guess you missed the part about THE RIGHT TRADE.

I like legwand but jarnkrok wasn't the proper prospect to be traded.

I guess you missed the part about THE RIGHT TRADE.

I like legwand but jarnkrok wasn't the proper prospect to be traded.

Then we miss the playoffs. Anderson was and could not be our #1 center.

tumblr_n39zyxNom81rgjwupo1_250.gif

Edited by darkmanx

Yeah, aside from a poor stretch where all of our veterans struggled, Legwand has been really solid, if not great for us. He came in at a crucial moment, performed well and helped this team survive that first week after the trade deadline.

But back onto the topic of Nyquist, he's much more dynamic than I first anticipated. The goals he scores are all different kinds. Workhorse goals like the one last night, goal scorer's snipe shots, crashing the net, he's a threat at any point in the offensive zone it seems like.

Was he like that in the AHL? Should I be so surprised? I know he changed his game to be more of a scorer in the NHL, but I'm still surprised by the way he's scoring them.