• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

@DarrenDreger: Penguins announce Kris Letang suffered a stroke last week and is out at least 6 weeks. http://t.co/Vlgm9t7ad1

SO scary.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#2 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,879 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

They're optimistic that he'll be able to continue his career with proper treatment.

So young it's scary, but it happens to young people too.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

#3 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Yeah I've had a very minor stroke. Didn't screw me up too much.  :crazy:

It happens.  They're more common than people think.  Many go undiagnosed. Glad to here he's getting treatment.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#4 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

Hopefully he's okay. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#5 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

Wow that is scary. All the best to him.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#6 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Scary stuff! Best wishes, of course. Hope he's able to come back at 100%, though his long-term health should be the singular, overriding priority.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#7 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

Wow.  That's terrifying.

Further testing also revealed that Letang, 26, has had a very small hole in the wall of his heart since birth. This small defect in the wall is present in all individuals before birth but seals shut in most people. It is possible that the hole in the heart led to the stroke.

Edited by rrasco, 07 February 2014 - 01:56 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#8 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Scary is putting it mildly, I wish him and his family the best and a fast recovery.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#9 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Caught the news this morning as well....scary.

#10 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Further testing also revealed that Letang, 26, has had a very small hole in the wall of his heart since birth. This small defect in the wall is present in all individuals before birth but seals shut in most people. It is possible that the hole in the heart led to the stroke.

The hole is between the two atria - not a hole leading into the thorax like it sounds. It is normal in everyone to have a hole called the foramen ovale - which shunts blood past the lungs due to blood being oxygenated by the mother while in the womb - its actually quite common that this does not fully close (into a fossa ovalis) in people after birth - but it is pretty uncommon that this would not be found in a high performance athlete by now.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#11 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

This condition is actually pretty common.  On average, up to 1/3 of people have that hole not fully close.  

Strokes are a known side-effect unfortunately.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#12 SimonSin

SimonSin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

Very scary, I wish him full recovery.

#13 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

I had to give up hockey at a young age because of heart-related health issues. I'd always known there was something wrong with me health-wise, but it wasn't until I'd started really pushing my body to its limits that the true problem reared its very ugly head. Now that I'm older, I appreciate that it was probably a major blessing. By bringing out this issue I didn't even know I had, hockey might have saved my life in the long run. And this was before the Fischer incident and everything that's followed, all of which makes me really worry about high-level athletes. You could be in "top shape" and yet you might also be a ticking time bomb, and without even knowing. It's scary. It puts things in perspective.

Sorry, that all probably seems narcisstic. Just felt like sharing.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#14 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Yeah I've had a very minor stroke. Didn't screw me up too much.  :crazy:

It happens.  They're more common than people think.  Many go undiagnosed. Glad to here he's getting treatment.

Could you tell us a little bit about the symptoms? 

I'm not clear on what Letang went through (after googling), they only say dizziness and it wasn't major, but I thought with a stroke half your face and body stop working (according again to google).  So what exactly is going on that you say, 'I'm dizzy, no, that's a stroke'. 

#15 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

I'm not all familiar with medical stuff like this, but I didn't think a stroke at his age was even all that common. What a terrifying ordeal, I wish the best for him and his health going forward.

I'm not clear on what Letang went through (after googling), they only say dizziness and it wasn't major, but I thought with a stroke half your face and body stop working (according again to google).  So what exactly is going on that you say, 'I'm dizzy, no, that's a stroke'. 

From what I understand a stroke can lead to partial paralysis on one side of the body but this isn't always the case. You can have a stroke and still retain full function of your body afterwards. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#16 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

There's varying degrees of strokes and a lot of different factors.  For me, I was sitting down and it came out of no where.  Dizzyness, tingle sensation, then just blackout.  I woke up laying on the ground surrounded and people told me they just saw my head drop (like I had fallen a sleep) and then started shaking and fell over to the side.  I guess it only lasted a few seconds but I don't remember any of it.  Just the tingle/dizzy right before.

Vince Lombardi

#17 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

I didn't see the yahoo article in here, so here you go:

http://sports.yahoo....07387--nhl.html

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#18 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

Dang... Good health to ya.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#19 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

All the best to him and his loved ones.

Hopefully he can enjoy a long and succesful career without anything like that again, damn scary if you think about it.

The guy really doesn't have it easy, constant headaches and now this get well soon Letang.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#20 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Heart problems always remind me of Fischer and how lucky we are he's still here. Get well Kris!