Photo
- - - - -

Why did Franzen get 10 min game misconduct?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Why does Franzen not feeling the need to fight back make him prepubescent? He scored a hatrick, what does he have to prove? Why is fighting back necessary? Pick on him when he isn't playing well, but his job is to score goals and he did his job.

#22 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

I totally agree with the comments about it being for Mule's protection, but at the time I thought that maybe the refs were sending a message that they weren't going to let things get out of control. 

The game was a blowout and no one could change that.  You know Ottawa was frustrated.  Oftentimes players let the frustration get the better of them and blow off steam on anyone handy.  Clearly this wasn't the case with Neil- he was targeting Mule- but by throwing them both out, the refs were clear that they weren't going to allow anything else and the players had better think twice about starting anything.

Probably some of each.  YYMV on the ratio.

#23 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Maybe I'm just overthinking the situation but if the refs intentionally gave Franzen a misconduct, when he obviously didn't do anything to receive it, shouldn't that show the world how incompetent NHL refs are? It was a blatant bad call and should be considered a form of cheating (they used a call to remove a player from the ice, abusing their power as refs).   

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#24 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Maybe I'm just overthinking the situation but if the refs intentionally gave Franzen a misconduct, when he obviously didn't do anything to receive it, shouldn't that show the world how incompetent NHL refs are? It was a blatant bad call and should be considered a form of cheating (they used a call to remove a player from the ice, abusing their power as refs).   

That very well may be the case I think he was running his mouth too much after all he literally does it nonstop.

#25 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

That very well may be the case I think he was running his mouth too much after all he literally does it nonstop.

I agree, but if he was to be called for running his mouth it should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct or even abuse of official penalty rather than a straight up "unassisted" misconduct.

NHL refs suck.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,713 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

I have to agree with Kipwinger on this one. I am not sure what Neil was attempting to prove??? Maybe that he can still take out the leading scorer for the night in a fight??? I always respected Neil until recently, his game has slipped over the last few years, and personally I believe if he would have played when Probie and Kocur played he would be the only one with lipstick and a purse. Lets face it, Probie and Kocur would have chewed this dude up. Just my opinion.

Huh?

He's on pace to put up the numbers he's usually put up in his career.  Why has he slipped?  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

While you as fans may not like it I can tell you for a fact alot of nhl players like to see their teammates get in scrums like that
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:52 AM

While you as fans may not like it I can tell you for a fact alot of nhl players like to see their teammates get in scrums like that

Not really sure this matters too much.  Lots of people like lots of terrible things, doesn't mean they're a good idea.  Like Communism, or Justin Bieber. 

Edited by kipwinger, 01 March 2014 - 02:18 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#29 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

"Purse and lipsick"? What is he? A nine-years-old? A LGW member?

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#30 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

In Neil's defence, Franzen did clearly poke (or spear) Neil in the groin just before the scrum.

Neil is a heavyweight enforcer. Who in their right mind does that to guy like Neil in a blowout game and then not expect anything to happen afterwards? Insanity, especially given his concussion history I have no idea what the in the hell Franzen thought he was doing.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#31 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Neil is a meat head, but Franzen needs to STFU if he's not going to do anything more than talk.  Nothing drove me more bat-poop crazy when I played than those guys who would constantly run their mouths but as soon as the game got a little rough they'd run away like a little girl.  If you don't want to fight, that's fine, you shouldn't have to, but don't run your mouth after the game.

Edited by DickieDunn, 01 March 2014 - 09:09 AM.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#32 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Neil is a meat head, but Franzen needs to STFU if he's not going to do anything more than talk.  Nothing drove me more bat-poop crazy when I played than those guys who would constantly run their mouths but as soon as the game got a little rough they'd run away like a little girl.  If you don't want to fight, that's fine, you shouldn't have to, but don't run your mouth after the game.

This one's for you, Dickie!

@AnsarKhanMLive: Franzen responded to Neil's purse, lipstick and yellow streak comment by saying asking him (Franzen) to fight is like asking Neil to (cont.)

@AnsarKhanMLive: Franzen (cont.) .... To show good hands and hockey sense.

@AnsarKhanMLive: One more from Franzen: Maybe they (NHL) should actually try to protect the players (cont.) ...

@AnsarKhanMLive: "a play like that when he just drops his gloves and punch me in the head, if he doesnt get anything for that I dont know whats going on.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#33 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

So let me get this straight, Neil things Franzen should have to fight him...because he wants Franzen to fight him?  Stupid. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#34 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

I can't say I'm normally a big fan of yappers, but I kind of like this from Franzen  ;) The Mule's got some swagger going on. Just to see him showing some spunk and emotion and throwing out some zingers can't be a bad thing for him or the Wings.  Also good that he chose to do this after the season series with the Sens is over. 

#35 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

This one's for you, Dickie!

@AnsarKhanMLive: Franzen responded to Neil's purse, lipstick and yellow streak comment by saying asking him (Franzen) to fight is like asking Neil to (cont.)

@AnsarKhanMLive: Franzen (cont.) .... To show good hands and hockey sense.

@AnsarKhanMLive: One more from Franzen: Maybe they (NHL) should actually try to protect the players (cont.) ...

@AnsarKhanMLive: "a play like that when he just drops his gloves and punch me in the head, if he doesnt get anything for that I dont know whats going on.

Can't believe he said that. That's embarrassing. He wants protecting so he can run his mouth 24/7 and use his stick as a weapon without any retribution? f*** right off. That's exactly why there's fighting in hockey. Franzen keeps digging himself a bigger and bigger hole.

Don't poke a bear with a stick and be angry he's taken a swipe. Those concussions seem to have lost him a bit of common sense.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#36 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

http://www.mlive.com...zen_wont_b.html

I'm really enjoying the back and forth.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#37 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Is making opponents angry a bad thing? Franzen made Neil angry and do dumb things. So what? The players are on the ice to win games not to try and look cool for fans and follow some vague honor code. 

I've also grown very tired of things being said like Franzen having "a purse and lipstick", Samuelsson hurting "his boob", or someone running away like a little girl. Fans often promote hockey of being a "man's game" but yet at the same time it involves all this childish crap like name-calling and fighting. If you ask me that's kindergarten.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#38 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Is making opponents angry a bad thing? Franzen made Neil angry and do dumb things. So what? The players are on the ice to win games not to try and look cool for fans and follow some vague honor code. 

I've also grown very tired of things being said like Franzen having "a purse and lipstick", Samuelsson hurting "his boob", or someone running away like a little girl. Fans often promote hockey of being a "man's game" but yet at the same time it involves all this childish crap like name-calling and fighting. If you ask me that's kindergarten.

Agreed, it's insulting to women everytime someone is perceived as weak to refer to them in some way as female.

#39 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

Neal is a tool. But I don't like Franzen slashing players( he did it to one of the Ottawa players late in the game, don't remember who) in the back of the leg and running away either. Franzen shouldn't be fighting especially after all his concussions, but he should cool it with the cheap shots too.

Edited by wings87, 01 March 2014 - 04:53 PM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#40 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

Can't believe he said that. That's embarrassing. He wants protecting so he can run his mouth 24/7 and use his stick as a weapon without any retribution? f*** right off. That's exactly why there's fighting in hockey. Franzen keeps digging himself a bigger and bigger hole.

Don't poke a bear with a stick and be angry he's taken a swipe. Those concussions seem to have lost him a bit of common sense.

I think most people would think it is common sense that a punch to the head is a head shot. This is a league where minor contact to the head in a hit is punished with supplemental discipline. I don't believe it is embarrassing to ask why there is not a league response merely because it was a punch rather than a body check.

Neil ripped off the helmet and sucker punched an unwilling fighter. One that has just missed significant time due to a concussion. 

I think it's a situation that speaks to the precarious position the league is in with Head hits vs. Fighting, but I believe the line should be when two players are willing fighters.