Photo
- - - - -

A great scrap ends in....A high five and a hug?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

I've never seen a fight (and it's a gooood one) end quite like this but respect is a good thing even after you'd just punched a guy in the head numerous times....

http://deadspin.com/...-hug-1542958515

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#2 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

That was awesome (the fight itself and the sportsmanship after).

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Meh.

Guys like Dave Brown or Bob Probert would never get that theatrical after a fight.  I realize it's a job and some of these guys are close friends, but this is making the whole thing look like a joke.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#4 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

Meh.

Guys like Dave Brown or Bob Probert would never get that theatrical after a fight.  I realize it's a job and some of these guys are close friends, but this is making the whole thing look like a joke.  

I agree with you!

Posted Image

#5 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

Meh.

The whole thing is a joke.  It just takes some people longer to get it than others. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

The whole thing is a joke.  It just takes some people longer to get it than others. 

No, fighting has a place in hockey.  These kind of fights are sometimes fun, but meaningless if guys are hugging it out like that afterwards.  Fights due to bad blood or jumping in for fallen teammates are more fun and more meaningful.  

#7 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:58 AM

Loved it great scrap also the curren heavyweight champion (McGrattan) very often is giving his opponents a tab on the head and saying stuff like good fight. Always reminds me of celebrity deathmatch "good fight good night"

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#8 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

High fives and hugging aside, a lot of UFC fighters couldn't take that many bare fisted blows and stay on their feet. There were easily 10 hard connections per side that I thought were going to put the other guy down. 

Whatever on the display at the end, what a fight. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#9 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

The hug at the end isn't that impressive. They're practically hugging it out the entire fight. Well, at least between the flurry of blows.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#10 DRW Dominance

DRW Dominance

Yzerman=God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

it was a good fight but that type of ending is not uncommon.  fighters have a crazy type of respect for each other.

i've seen this clip posted all over the place like it's never happened before.

naked is a state of mind

#11 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

I'VE FORGOTTEN WHAT I STARTED FIGHTING FOR

Don't Toews me, bro!

#12 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Honestly aside from the few exceptions most fights are just to get some energy for the teams.
In the NHL you see fighters pat the other guy on the back or see his lips mouth something supportive.
They're putting personal safety aside for their teams, and know its dangerous.
Those two were literally exchanging solid punches to the face for how long?
It's awesome they were happy for eachother, who cares they acknowledged the good scrap after.

#13 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

its time to sail this ship into the shore....because yes Bob Probert has done something similar. Not a high five and a hug, but in one of his and McSorley's long drawn out fights, there was a mutual pat on the head after the linesman finally got in between the two...so, yes it has happened before...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#14 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

I found it on YouTube, but cannot figure my phone out to cut and paste. They also bump heads at the end of it as well to acknowledge each other. Man I miss scraps like that.

figured it out!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0gRdCZ9_LQM

Edited by LeftWinger, 15 March 2014 - 02:42 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

its time to sail this ship into the shore....because yes Bob Probert has done something similar. Not a high five and a hug, but in one of his and McSorley's long drawn out fights, there was a mutual pat on the head after the linesman finally got in between the two...so, yes it has happened before...

Of course it has, but I think it's more prevalent nowadays, especially with the staged fights.  

Like I said, they're still fun to watch but I could do without the hugging and kissing.  

#16 Aznknight

Aznknight

Rookie

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

This fight was for the fans. You know, the people supporting the team. I heard cheers. I saw sportsmanship and class. Best of all, I saw a great fight.

#17 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

No, fighting has a place in hockey.  These kind of fights are sometimes fun, but meaningless if guys are hugging it out like that afterwards.  Fights due to bad blood or jumping in for fallen teammates are more fun and more meaningful.  

You think a fight due to bad blood is "more fun"?? Can you elaborate on how going after a guy while your teammate and possible friend is lying on the ice unconscious is "more fun" than one where you are fighting with mutual respect and pumping up your team and crowd?

"meaningless" because they got their teams and crowd into the game, then showed some respect for the guy who spent his career sticking up for his teammates and is retiring after this season?? Is that how you define the word "meaningless"? I think the word you're looking for is "meaningful". This was more meaningful than most hockey fights I've seen.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#18 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

You think a fight due to bad blood is "more fun"?? Can you elaborate on how going after a guy while your teammate and possible friend is lying on the ice unconscious is "more fun" than one where you are fighting with mutual respect and pumping up your team and crowd?

"meaningless" because they got their teams and crowd into the game, then showed some respect for the guy who spent his career sticking up for his teammates and is retiring after this season?? Is that how you define the word "meaningless"? I think the word you're looking for is "meaningful". This was more meaningful than most hockey fights I've seen.

Well, that's your opinion.  I've already stated mine.  

#19 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

One day it's gonna come out that the entire 3/26/97 game was staged. Like the moon landing.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#20 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

It's the LNAH...it's how those crazy bastards roll up there in Quebec.   The league has a city with an open air asbestos mine (Thetford Mines) where they used to spread asbestos instead of rock salt when it snowed.   If Andre "Poodle" Lussier were a real  person, he would have gone up there to play after the unfortunate Denny Pratt tragedy.