Photo
- - - - -

James Neal Cross-Check to Glendening's Head [GIF] - Suspension?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:30 AM

puck the fens! wow

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#22 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:50 AM

I really wonder what Glendenning does to piss people off so bad. He must be the greatest s*** talker ever. And I think if Legwand's spear (albeit super stupid) warrants 5 and a game, then so does obviously dirty player Neal's crosscheck to the head.

Edit: and if I recall he gave him a pretty good slash right before he went for the headshot.

heh i said that the other day cause you dont really see him slash or hit people all that hard. i want to hear some of his s*** talk

#23 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:05 AM

Sheesh if Leggy only got him in the thigh I wished he would have speared him in the Vienna sausage.

#24 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

Sheesh if Leggy only got him in the thigh I wished he would have speared him in the Vienna sausage. cashew

We're talking Malkin here.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#25 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

Whoa.  Leggy got him a few inches lower than I thought.  I had thought it was the belly.  Either way, it's nasty and could cause some serious injuries.  I hope there's no suspension since we need him, but I can't argue if there is.

#26 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

Legwand should get a game.

Jokinenen should get 0 games, but should have got at least a minor, at most a double minor.

Neal should get 1-3 games, but the NHL seems to care more about whether someone goes down or not.

#27 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'd like to think Neal will get some games for that, but since he's wearing Bettman's favorite jersey I'm sure he'll go unpunished.

#28 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

No suspension, because Glendenning forgot to stay down and flop around like a ***** embellishing the hit. 

That's the only thing the league suspends for.

#29 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

as per Khan

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive  21m

No hearing is scheduled for David Legwand for his butt-ending major on Evgeni Malkin last night, an NHL spokesman said this morning.

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#30 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Looks like Neal's cross check was to the shoulder and the follow through with his fist caught the head.  Dirty, yes, suspension worthy, no. 

Even if the stick came up and caught him in the head, I don't think you'd see a suspension.  For a suspension, it would have to be a direct cross check to the head (I'm assuming).

Someone asked about the linesman standing right there.  I'm not 100% sure of the rules here, but I had always thought that a linesman can only make a call when they see a highstick that draws blood.

#31 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Looks like Neal's cross check was to the shoulder and the follow through with his fist caught the head.  Dirty, yes, suspension worthy, no. 

Even if the stick came up and caught him in the head, I don't think you'd see a suspension.  For a suspension, it would have to be a direct cross check to the head (I'm assuming).

Someone asked about the linesman standing right there.  I'm not 100% sure of the rules here, but I had always thought that a linesman can only make a call when they see a highstick that draws blood.

I was under the assumption that a lineman can call any major penalty, but rarely does so. 

but here is the rule book on linesmen 

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=26320

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#32 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

No Player Safety hearing scheduled on Friday for Neal regarding hit Thursday at Detroit. #pens play Saturday

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#33 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Shoulder first or not it was a head shot in the end and the league is supposed to be cracking down on crap like this. If a Wing had done the same I would be saying the same thing.

I wonder if Glendening had flopped over like he had been shot if more penalty minutes etc would have occurred. I wouldn't be shocked to hear from the Wings that he is having concussion like symptoms in the next 2 days after all its to be expected this season.

"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#34 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Well I'd definitely prefer Legwand have more situational awareness, but in hindsight, good on him.  Very veteran move.  Reminds me of Chelios.  Let those punks know they don't get to do work on you easily. 

Edit:  The outcomes are good all the way around.  I'm glad nobody got suspensions.  In my opinion these are both VERY borderline plays, illegal?  Yes.  Severe?  No.  Penalties were enough in both instances. 

Edited by kipwinger, 21 March 2014 - 09:27 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#35 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

as per Khan

Does this mean the streak is over? We didn't lose anyone?

#36 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Does this mean the streak is over? We didn't lose anyone?

It won't be official until game time.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#37 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Oh well Dmac would have killed this idiot.

It's so funny the Pens are always crying bloody murder but on the same hand are a team which is employing Neal, Orpik and formerly Cooke..

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#38 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Oh well Dmac would have killed this idiot.

It's so funny the Pens are always crying bloody murder but on the same hand are a team which is employing Neal, Orpik and formerly Cooke..

Orpik isn't dirty at all, I don't know where you got that.  Neal is, and Cooke was, so I get your point.  But Brooks Orpik is not a dirty player. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#39 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

I think Glendening got lucky and just got Neal's glove in his face, it would've been a lot worse if it had been the stick.

#40 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

The only reason Neal didn't get 5 and a game was Glendenings refusal to stay down and act like he's hurt. Ridiculous intent was there. Puck is no where near the play and the head was the principal point of contact.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!