• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#61 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

Some forget that this was where we once were. Back in the early 90's we were one of the best regular season teams year after year. Yet we couldn't win the Cup. In comes Bowman, still didn't win it. Made a few moves, then we won. it took the correct balance of players, coaches, and management to win. Winning  a cup is not something that is easy to do. But it is easier to fire a GM and coach than it is to fire 23 players.......

#62 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

They kept Bylsma :lol:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#63 CupCrazy22

CupCrazy22

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:39 PM

They kept Bylsma :lol:

Only until the new GM decides the future of Bylsma and the assistants, which pretty much guarantees he's out of a job.

#64 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:11 AM

Here is a very interview with Lemieux and Burkle http://blog.triblive...eux-ron-burkle/

Well Lemieux the Penguins lacked grit because your GM send one of the absolute best guys down and then on waivers, nobody would be looking at Crosby or Malkin with MacIntyre in the lineup. Pittsburgh - like most teams - really needs some a big bodied powerforward someone to create room for their stars and can drop the gloves.

Edited by frankgrimes, 17 May 2014 - 06:12 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#65 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:56 AM

Since their last Stanley Cup, they've lost a lot of money thanks to their early exits from the playoffs. It's always about the bottom line.

With regards to Bylsma; The "Leave-him-teetering-on-the-edge-of-the-cliff" approach seems odd.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#66 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

Maybe Botterill wants to keep him and they're waiting to see if they're going to get another guy as gm or keep him there.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#67 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Wonder why Mario doesn't take over as general manager.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#68 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

Pens will be after Babs
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#69 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

Wonder why Mario doesn't take over as general manager.

He knows he'd be bad at it

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#70 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

I feel like next year is gonna be the Babcock sweepstakes, and half the teams in the league are going to be slinging offers. Babs will sign with a team and there will be a scramble for all the other coaches. It might actually be a really interesting offseason next year.

#71 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

I feel like next year is gonna be the Babcock sweepstakes, and half the teams in the league are going to be slinging offers. Babs will sign with a team and there will be a scramble for all the other coaches. It might actually be a really interesting offseason next year.

I'd like to see that happen, and then he actually ends up at Michigan. YOU CAN'T HAVE OUR BABCOCK!!

#72 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

Some forget that this was where we once were. Back in the early 90's we were one of the best regular season teams year after year. Yet we couldn't win the Cup. In comes Bowman, still didn't win it. Made a few moves, then we won. it took the correct balance of players, coaches, and management to win. Winning  a cup is not something that is easy to do. But it is easier to fire a GM and coach than it is to fire 23 players.......

Even with the Cup they won, they beat a crippled Wings team where even Lidstrom was missing games and nearly every star was playing with significant injuries. And it still took game 7 and some very favorable calls from the refs to get there.

I'd like to see that happen, and then he actually ends up at Michigan. YOU CAN'T HAVE OUR BABCOCK!!

Future headline: U of M Babcockblocks the Penguins

-Elliot...does not panic.

#73 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

I think he takes a year off coaching and relaxes.

#74 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

I think he takes a year off coaching and relaxes.

Only if he knows Franzen's going to have a down year

#75 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

I really think the Pens did Bylsma a disservice.  They should have just canned him instead of keeping him on as coach because the new GM is going to can him no question about it. 

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#76 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

I really think the Pens did Bylsma a disservice.  They should have just canned him instead of keeping him on as coach because the new GM is going to can him no question about it. 

Agreed new GMs often like to sweep it clean, there is no way Bylsma will coach Pittsburgh next season so why not can him and let him explore other offers, as long asa they are open?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#77 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

Agreed new GMs often like to sweep it clean, there is no way Bylsma will coach Pittsburgh next season so why not can him and let him explore other offers, as long asa they are open?

Like I said, maybe Botterill wants to keep him, and his future depends on him getting the full time gig.

#78 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

Sources say NBC analyst Pierre McGuire has had two interviews for the Penguins' GM job. McGuire was an asst coach on their '92 Cup team.

Don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I can tell you that Pierre is tight with multiple people in the organization.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#79 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

Yes, Pierre frequently spends time with several members in the organization. I hope he gets the job. No more ****** on NBC and the Pens will fall harder than a Bruin trying to get a call.

#80 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

For the love of all that is good in this world, PLEASE let the Pens hire Pierre McToolGuire as their next GM.

That would make my day. Week. Month. Year. Possibly decade...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."