72 replies to this topic

#21 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

Val d'Or has some really bad dmen, wow.

Edited by darkmanx, 16 May 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#22 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

Mantha scores the first goal, then rings one off the post. Wow, this kid is incredible.

Edit: Mantha with Datsyuk anyone?

ShockedFalseFirefly.gif

Edited by darkmanx, 16 May 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#23 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Been watching the 2nd period so far. Mantha reminds me of Jeff Carter.

#24 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

I'm not Canadian, so I still don't understand how you can have a team make it to the Final Four just by hosting the tournament?  

Obviously, it's tough to set up a playoff with just the three winners from each league.  However, to give a 4th team some kind of cheap entry into the Final Four defeats the entire purpose of a tournament.  

The chosen host team is usuqlly one of the stronger teams. And if they win their league title the runner up comes with them to the MC.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#25 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

They actually have a pretty strong defence group, at least depth wise.

This game hasn't really shown their strengths but they block shots very well and are very good at moving the puck up to Mantha when he's on the ice.

#26 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

They actually have a pretty strong defence group, at least depth wise.

This game hasn't really shown their strengths but they block shots very well and are very good at moving the puck up to Mantha when he's on the ice.

I see that but the turnovers (albeit they are tired) remind me of Kindl and Lashoff.

#27 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Val d'Or is a very young team, and their defence is mostly made up of 15-17 year olds...so its expected that theyll play shaky

Mantha basically carries this team; although Gelinas has no problems contributing on the backend as well

Edited by WingsallTheway, 16 May 2014 - 08:54 PM.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#28 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

Mantha is a beast and it makes me so excited seeing a guy like this in the pipeline, I could almost pee my pants

#29 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

Val D'or's goalie (Bibaud -- a Leafs sixth-rounder) was unconsciously good. Mantha was the best skater on the ice -- a superb goal, a rocket off the post and he got stoned by the goalie in tight on a partial breakaway.

#30 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:45 AM

Mantha is a beast and it makes me so excited seeing a guy like this in the pipeline, I could almost pee my pants

Don't worry, Babs is thinking up ways to kill his production so he can finish 437th in Selke voting and be a Realgud everydayer who plays the right way and plays heavy and plays the right way and also plays heavy.

Abdelkader - Glendening - Mantha

Don't Toews me, bro!

#31 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

Val D'or's goalie (Bibaud -- a Leafs sixth-rounder) was unconsciously good. Mantha was the best skater on the ice -- a superb goal, a rocket off the post and he got stoned by the goalie in tight on a partial breakaway.

Bibaud will only be good when the leafs trade him. ;)

London is regarded as the tournament favourite with their offense and goaltending. They were banged up pretty bad when they were knocked out of the OHL playoffs.

Edited by Smite, 17 May 2014 - 09:45 AM.

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#32 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

Everything I've read Guelph is the favorite

#33 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

The rankings only show the top 10 but at the end of the regular season this is where the 4 teams ranked.

Guelph was 2nd, London was 6th, Edmonton 8th, and Val D'or was not ranked in the top 10

Guelph eliminated the #4 ranked team (Erie) and London in their playoff run.

Edmonton eliminated the #3 ranked team. (Portland)

London didn't beat anyone in the rankings during the OHL playoffs.

and Val D'or defeated the #5 (Baie Comeau) and #7 (Halifax) ranked teams en route to the Memorial Cup.

#34 ahkmed

ahkmed

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Bertuzzi with a great performance in the third period..playing his pest style, blocking shots on the PK & getting two important goals as the Storm win 5-2 over the Oil Kings

Edited by ahkmed, 17 May 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#35 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

Bertuzzi with a great performance in the third period..playing his pest style, blocking shots on the PK & getting two important goals as the Storm win 5-2 over the Oil Kings

Just I finished watching it , kids awesome ... Redwings future is beyond stacked full of potential

#36 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

I remember a certain RichDG whining and moaning about our 2013 draft selections. I'm beyond giddy that about 5 of those 8 are already showing stellar promise. When is Axe coming back?

#37 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

I remember a certain RichDG whining and moaning about our 2013 draft selections. I'm beyond giddy that about 5 of those 8 are already showing stellar promise. When is Axe coming back?

Way too many armchair GM's on this board. They think they know everything but they really don't.

The same can be said for Jarnkrok being traded. They see things we don't, and with the drafting and depth in GR Holland obviously has a clue what he's doing. And before we try and give all the credit to Nill for being in charge of drafting, that is false. Holland was an amateur and pro scout before coming a GM. He knows exactly what he's looking for in a player.

#38 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Holland is looking like a genius. I remember all the bashing he took for drafting Bertuzzi in the second round. He has looked like a steal lately.

#39 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

Holland is looking like a genius. I remember all the bashing he took for drafting Bertuzzi in the second round. He has looked like a steal lately.

He would have looked even smarter if he picked him in the later rounds - looked like others would have passed on him.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#40 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

He would have looked even smarter if he picked him in the later rounds - looked like others would have passed on him.

True but it was essentially a free pick with us getting who we wanted in the first round after the trade anyway.