vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

We were living this:

vladdy_zps7417af7a.jpg

Thanks, Vladinator!  Miss you....

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#2 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Amazing to think that there is a whole generation that doesn't remember life without a recent Cup.

#3 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Amazing to think that there is a whole generation that doesn't remember life without a recent Cup.

Yup. But then again, nothing like the 70's, 80's, and first 2/3's of the 90's.......

#4 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

That's why no Cup win by the Wings will likely compare to the one in 1997 for me. 

After watching them through the 80s, to get so close then get crushed by the Devils in '95, it just felt like they were never going to win one. 

Thinking that Yzerman may become one of those great players who never get to hoist the Cup.  It's what made that one so special.  

#5 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

I'm starting to feel old. Can't believe it's been that long. I started being a hardcore fan two years earlier in 95 when I was 8. I haven't missed a wings game since then. Still remember the night of Vladys accident. I was physically sick to my stomach and couldn't sleep and wasn't even old enough to really grasp the significance of that event.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 07 June 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#6 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:34 AM

Every cup has been special, but ive never celebrated like I did in 97...

#7 midnightpulp

midnightpulp

Prospect

• Restricted
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

'95 should've been the first one, but it would've been deemed an asterisk title (as it should be).

#8 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

Well we are still the last team to sweep and the last back to back champs. Yay wings!!

#9 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

That's why no Cup win by the Wings will likely compare to the one in 1997 for me. 

After watching them through the 80s, to get so close then get crushed by the Devils in '95, it just felt like they were never going to win one. 

Thinking that Yzerman may become one of those great players who never get to hoist the Cup.  It's what made that one so special.  

Agreed.  I wasn't a hockey fan until 1993 when I went to college, but I really enjoyed watching the Wings.  After getting swept by the Devils and then beat by the Avs the next year, having them win the cup the year I graduated in 1997 was a dream come true.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#10 Red Wing

Red Wing

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

The '02 cup was a little more special for me since I was 11 at the time and remembered everything about it. I liked revisiting the '97 and '98 moments on YouTube. Those teams were a joy to watch and I'm glad Vernon came away with a Smythe. Speaking of Vernon, was anyone stunned by the trade to the Sharks or were you content with the torch being passed to Osgood? I'm intrigued to know what someone of you "older" fans think.

#11 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

The '02 cup was a little more special for me since I was 11 at the time and remembered everything about it. I liked revisiting the '97 and '98 moments on YouTube. Those teams were a joy to watch and I'm glad Vernon came away with a Smythe. Speaking of Vernon, was anyone stunned by the trade to the Sharks or were you content with the torch being passed to Osgood? I'm intrigued to know what someone of you "older" fans think.

True. I was only 14 at the time of the '02 cup, and hadn't got into hockey until about 99, right after the back to back. So '02 for me was the most special because it's the first one I celebrated in the moment if you will. 

temp 1

#12 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

Like you Harold - I became a fan back in '84...Many rough years...'95 was depressing, but it all sorta went away in '97.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#13 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

1997 was a great year for me on so many levels and then the Wings finally pulling off the cup was just the ice on the cake.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#14 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

I was bummed that my All Star Baseball teammate got drafted by Buffalo and we had to settle for some kid named Yzerman...but I guess it ended up working out ok.

Edit: I remember seeing a red full size Bronco with "16" on it running around Keego Harbor...

Attached File  image.jpg   35.42KB   1 downloads

Edited by T.Low, 20 June 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#15 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

2002 was my favorite too. I was older then 11 in 2002, but I knew what a 3rd Cup in 6 years would mean historically for this team. Then there was the, "will Yzerman play?", and beating the Avs in the Conference Finals, knowing that we won the rivalry.

Edit: As for the Vernon trade I was ok with it. I liked Osgood more, and I thought he was ready to be #1. Actually it was a little bit of a shock when Vernon was named starting goalie for the playoffs.

Edited by Barrie, 22 June 2014 - 08:14 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons