• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

Wings officially have vacancy in asst coach spot

Rate this topic

Bill Peters was hired by the Carolina Huricanes for their head coaching gig.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/06/carolina_hurricanes_hire_detro.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bill-peters-named-carolina-hurricanes-head-coach--seeking-red-wings-feel-211935719.html

Two things: I wonder how Peters will be steering the ship over in Carolina, and what kind of success he can earn over there. Also, who do the Wings pick up to fill the vacancy at Babcock's side on the bench? As the article mentions, Peters was primarily responsible for the defensive side of the game, working with defense and PK units. Considering Babcock's obsession with defense first, and playing defensively responsible at all ends of the ice and at all times, I can't imagine the Wings would pick up just anybody to fill Peters' old role. I'm not familiar with whom the top candidates may be, so hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of the coaching scene can chime in with their opinions.

Edited by Echolalia

Not the assistant I was hoping would depart this off season. Gonna be interesting to see who comes and replaces him. Holland should phone up #5 and see if he wants to coach our defence :lol:

That would be awesome, but Lids had such natural hockey sense and ice vision that I don't know if someone with that great natural talent could coach it.

Still, if he wanted to return to the US, I'd be tickled to have him do it.

Guest Playmaker

How many of the good or great coaches past or present are former star players? I don't know why so many fans think that good player=good coach.

Chelios has a cushy front office job now. Why would he want to go through the grind and travel demands that come with being a coach? Same with Lidstrom. He left because he wanted to return to Sweden and spend time with his family? Why would he want to come back and coach?

How many of the good or great coaches past or present are former star players? I don't know why so many fans think that good player=good coach.

Chelios has a cushy front office job now. Why would he want to go through the grind and travel demands that come with being a coach? Same with Lidstrom. He left because he wanted to return to Sweden and spend time with his family? Why would he want to come back and coach?

Actually I think Chelios has mentioned a couple times that his end goal could very well be a coaching gig, but he needs to work up to that point, which is the process he's in now. Anyway, i would rather he start off at the college level, or AHL and demonstrate success there before coming up to the NHL, if he is in fact interested in becoming a coach.

Edit: although this link says that chelios has no interest in coaching, so who knows anymore.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/06/red_wings_will_start_another_s.html

Edited by Echolalia

Cleary!!!!!!! By that logic......mediocre player=great coach.

Guest Playmaker

Yeah, a guy like Lidstrom who doesn't like to talk would make a great coach.

Maybe because they are bored? Who knows. Yes not all players make good coaches but some can.

My guess would be Andy Murray from Western Michigan. He's got the pedigree and has had some success coaching at all levels.

Wow, good call. Had forgotten about Murray since he fizzled out with the Blues. That's certainly a name to keep in mind.

Guest Playmaker

FWIW, I think in light of the Dave Lewis situation a few years back, the Wings aren't going to go for recently retired former player familiar to most of the team type of guy. I think it'd be kinda difficult for Lidstrom to be behind the bench during a game and have the team watch his actions ;) Nick made it pretty clear he was leaving to return to Sweden to be near his family and have his younger children grow up there. I think he'd probably still be playing if that weren't the case.

I think Andy Murray is almost on the opposite side of the spectrum. He's in his mid-60's. While the tweet said he was staying at Western and not interested in the Leafs, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility he'd consider the Wings if offered. Since they already have an older former head coach in Renney, I'm thinking they'll go with a younger, lesser known type of guy.

I'll be honest, when the Wings hired Blashill and Peters, I said "who"? I don't think most fans are up on that type of stuff, so I will trust that the Red Wings are.