• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Bill Peters was hired by the Carolina Huricanes for their head coaching gig.

http://www.mlive.com...hire_detro.html

http://sports.yahoo....-211935719.html

Two things: I wonder how Peters will be steering the ship over in Carolina, and what kind of success he can earn over there.  Also, who do the Wings pick up to fill the vacancy at Babcock's side on the bench?  As the article mentions, Peters was primarily responsible for the defensive side of the game, working with defense and PK units.  Considering Babcock's obsession with defense first, and playing defensively responsible at all ends of the ice and at all times, I can't imagine the Wings would pick up just anybody to fill Peters' old role.  I'm not familiar with whom the top candidates may be, so hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of the coaching scene can chime in with their opinions.

Edited by Echolalia, 19 June 2014 - 06:58 PM.

#2 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Some nice talent on that squad. There are worse teams to get a starting job with.

#3 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

How many head coaches have we pumped out now ... McLelland, MacLean ... anyone else?  

#4 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Barry Smith was one briefly, wasn't he? As was Dave Lewis. Only MacLean and McClellan have amounted to anything.

Hope our training staff follows him.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#5 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

Larionov anyone? Bylsma? Cleary?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#6 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Not the assistant I was hoping would depart this off season. Gonna be interesting to see who comes and replaces him. Holland should phone up #5 and see if he wants to coach our defence :lol:

#NOMOREKINDL

#7 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

Not the assistant I was hoping would depart this off season. Gonna be interesting to see who comes and replaces him. Holland should phone up #5 and see if he wants to coach our defence :lol:

That would be awesome, but Lids had such natural hockey sense and ice vision that I don't know if someone with that great natural talent could coach it.

Still, if he wanted to return to the US, I'd be tickled to have him do it.

#8 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

Chelios? He's already in the organization with his kids moving up.

#9 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

What's to stop Chris Chelios?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#10 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

hotdogs.jpg

But in all seriousness, he was a very good defenceman and although goofy I could see him commanding some respect as a coach.

Got FSD setup with all it's glory.  Plan to have pre and post game coverage along with Wingspan and 24/7.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#11 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

How many of the good or great coaches past or present are former star players?  I don't know why so many fans think that good player=good coach. 

Chelios has a cushy front office job now.  Why would he want to go through the grind and travel demands that come with being a coach?  Same with Lidstrom.  He left because he wanted to return to Sweden and spend time with his family?  Why would he want to come back and coach? 

• Nev likes this

#12 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

How many of the good or great coaches past or present are former star players?  I don't know why so many fans think that good player=good coach. 

Chelios has a cushy front office job now.  Why would he want to go through the grind and travel demands that come with being a coach?  Same with Lidstrom.  He left because he wanted to return to Sweden and spend time with his family?  Why would he want to come back and coach? 

Actually I think Chelios has mentioned a couple times that his end goal could very well be a coaching gig, but he needs to work up to that point, which is the process he's in now. Anyway, i would rather he start off at the college level, or AHL and demonstrate success there before coming up to the NHL, if he is in fact interested in becoming a coach.

Edit: although this link says that chelios has no interest in coaching, so who knows anymore.
http://www.mlive.com..._another_s.html

Edited by Echolalia, 20 June 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#13 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Cleary!!!!!!!  By that logic......mediocre player=great coach.

#14 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Jiri Fischer might be a dark horse candidate. He was worked with our young d-men and seems to be rising through the org. But that said, I'd prefer a career coach type, and I think that's the direction Babs will go.

#15 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

Give Lidstrom a call. 

#16 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

I'll do it

Edit.
What about bylsma?

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter, 20 June 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#17 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, a guy like Lidstrom who doesn't like to talk would make a great coach. 

#18 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, a guy like Lidstrom who doesn't like to talk would make a great coach. 

Why should he talk ? The guylets his actions do all the talking for him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#19 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Maybe because they are bored?  Who knows.  Yes not all players make good coaches but some can.

#20 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

Fischer
I'm sure Lidstrom isn't bored with 4 boys, a wife and family