• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Datsyuk to play Thursday? Weiss to be a healthy scratch?

Rate this topic

Weiss, Cleary and Nestrasil wearing gray, an early indication on the outside of the 12 forwards dressing Thursday.

Datsyuk ready for opener? He's skating on line with Zetterberg and Abdelkader.

Other lines: Nyquist-Helm-Franzen, Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco, Miller-Glendening-Andersson. Cleary, Weiss and Nestrasil seem to be the fifth line.

On D: Ouellet skating with Quincey, Kronwall-Ericsson, DeKeyser-Smith, Lashoff-Kindl. Howard and Gustavsson in net. Mrazek rotating in.

Edited by HockeytownRules19

Crazy.

A couple of thoughts:

1. The pairings of

Kronwall - Ericsson

DeKeyser - Smith

Quincey - Ouelett

are about as great as anyone could hope for right now.

2. On a team that has at least 6 guys that can play up the middle, there is a glaring need for a second line guy. Sadly, it's looking like it might not be Weiss. but it sure as hell shouldn't be Helm either.

Babs clearly has a problem with Weiss. He put him with AHLers in preseason and now won't let him into the lineup to start the season (probably because he didn't perform in preseason). Give the guy a chance to impress you.

I suppose it could also just mean that he's trying to bring Weiss along slowly? Who knows with Babcock, he can be weird sometimes. See: Legwand, David - 4th line center.

Weird to see Weiss on the outside looking in, but maybe Babcock just doesn't like what he's seen during the preseason. On the flip side, I am so stoked about those defensive pairings. Been waiting to see DeKeyser-Smith for awhile. I really hope they gel.

Zetterberg said Datsyuk looked good on ice but he's not getting hopes up he'll be ready for Thursday.

Datsyuk said he needs contact and battling drills in practice before returning. No time frame. Doesn't seem likely for Thursday.

So we'll see

If those are the guys we can expect to play our season opener, then it would look like there was some truth to Babs saying no more tie goes to the vet, but to the best player.

Andersson might be an unpopular option but I think he showed more strength on the puck and defensive responsibility than Weiss, Cleary, or Nestrasil, so I can appreciate the decision to have Anderson as a reliable fourth liner, who can also take a faceoff. Having said that, I hope that Nestrasil is higher on the depth chart than Cleary and if Anderson isn't cutting it (or someone gets injured), Nes gets a chance to play.

Honestly, the preseason kind of gave me the impression that a few guys are expendable. For a team that had next to no depth at center a couple seasons ago, it's something they have in abundance now. I think it's actually pushing guys out of the line-up and into unfamiliar situations. Sheahan has showed he can produce, and I think the team can afford to flip either Weiss or Helm.

The team has plenty of options at center - Splitting Z and Dats up, Weiss/Helm, Sheahan, Andersson, Glendening. Then further down, Nosek, Nestrasil (can/has played center at times), Athanasiou down the road, etc. I think the Red Wings are in a place where they can and should showcase either Weiss or Helm. If I'm Red Wings' brass, I'm putting both guys in a position to succeed while Datsyuk is out. Get the most out of each guy right now to bring up their trade value.

Edited by Jesusberg

Glad to see Cleary is scratched. But why Nestrasil? Why keep him up if he's just going to sit? And as for Weiss, he's barely gotten a chance to prove himself. Scratching who is supposed to be our number two center is a real bad move, I think. Unless he's still fighting off a nagging injury or something. Even if he didn't tear up the pre-season, he's a competent player who we need to stabilize the roster.

I suppose it could also just mean that he's trying to bring Weiss along slowly? Who knows with Babcock, he can be weird sometimes. See: Legwand, David - 4th line center.

You mean fourth line winger. Babs actually had him playing on Glendening's wing lol.

Glad to see Cleary is scratched. But why Nestrasil? Why keep him up if he's just going to sit? And as for Weiss, he's barely gotten a chance to prove himself. Scratching who is supposed to be our number two center is a real bad move, I think. Unless he's still fighting off a nagging injury or something. Even if he didn't tear up the pre-season, he's a competent player who we need to stabilize the roster.

Because he was the best out of the players that were not waiver-exempt. If they sent him down, he would have to be waived.

Nestrasil is probably in if Datsyuk can't go, or they think he won't clear waivers right now. They still need to put Datsyuk on IR or waive two more guys regardless

I understand hanging onto your assets, but keeping Nestrasil on the bench means one of Jurco/Ouellet starting the season in GR. Maybe I was premature in my excitement about the DeKeyser-Smith pairing. Can't see Babs going Kindl-Quincey now... ugh.

Reasonable enough, but at some point you have to start him. Why not now ? I didn't hear nor read anything indicating that Weiss needs more time during the off- and preseason. Maybe there is a trade in the making ?

Babcock - as a whole - isn't very satisfied with the play of his veterans:

Zetterberg has had a slow start, albeit in preseason action, but even Babcock called out his top dogs this week.

“They’ve got to get going, just like everybody in exhibition. A lot of your veteran players, it takes them awhile to get going; the urgency isn’t quite there, even though they know they’ve got to be ready to go,” Babcock told the Detroit Free Press. “Our kids have won three, our big dogs 0-1. That’s all part of whether you’re engaged or not.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/04/risk-factors-detroit-red-wings-edition/

looks like it's put up or shut up time for a lot of our veterans.

Babcock - as a whole - isn't very satisfied with the play of his veterans:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/04/risk-factors-detroit-red-wings-edition/

looks like it's put up or shut up time for a lot of our veterans.

He says that, then puts Abby on the top line....

Yea, Z will really get er going with Abby on the Wing.

He says that, then puts Abby on the top line....

Yea, Z will really get er going with Abby on the Wing.

Just like demoting Weiss after not registering a point while given third line minutes with Kevin ******* Porter on his wing.

How is it that he didn't lead the team in points with opportunities like that?

Just like demoting Weiss after not registering a point while given third line minutes with Kevinf****** Porter on his wing.

How is it that he didn't lead the team in points with opportunities like that?

Might have more to do with how they're practicing and preparing than what they're producing in games or even scrimmages. Maybe he just doesn't see them working hard enough.