• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Are the Wings a Contender?

Rate this topic

I'm no good at reading fine print, so I'm just going to assume you said something to the effect of, "I went to the same high school and church as dozens of strippers and will be sure to bring them along". As such, welcome aboard buddy.

My words exactly.

Teams that won't be contending this year (no playoffs) and have a D that could help:

Yotes - Yandle

Panthers - B. Campbell

Sabres - Meszaros

Sens- Phillips

Canes - Hainsey/Gleason

Flyers - Grossman/Del Zotto/Luke Schenn

Stars - Daly

Oilers - Ferrence

Couple other potential targets if their teams tank it over the next couple months:

Sharks - Burns

Wild - Ballard

Jets - Mark Stuart

Devils - Zidlicky

Granted, some of theses guys would not exactly be "top 4" D but I would sooner put skates on my dog and send him out on the 3rd pair than watch Kindl play another game for the Wings. I can't believe how many absolutely stupid, dumb, retarded, brain-fart plays he makes EVERY game. I would even prefer Oulette to Kindl at this point after watching Xavier play a few games with the Wings. Quincey can slide into the 7th D man spot in the press box too if we could trade for a top 4 guy like Burns/Phillips/Ferrence/Grossman.

We seem to have depth at forward in the system so ship off a young forward and a 2nd/3rd round pick for a defensmen. I'd do it sooner than later as the closer to the trade deadline we get the higher the price will be as everyone will be looking. Start talking to the Oilers, Stars, and Flyers now as they need a shake up. Do you hear me Kenny H.????

And what in the recent history of the Wings (say the last 6-8 years) makes you think ANY of those are going to happen? Even if Holland wanted some of them, those teams aren't just going to fall over themselves trying to trade with the Wings.

Right now DD and Smith are iffy top fours. They're almost there but I think next year they will really come into their own. Then we'll be in really good shape. I think a package involving Smith would fetch a really nice top 4 dman though

NO! :nono: lol

In all seriousness, with the drastic improvement he has already shown in his very young NHL career, it would be crazy to give him up unless it was a package for one of the top dmen in this league. I think Smith has far too much upside to trade away for a top 4, when he himself could grow into a top pairing dman in time.

Edited by marcaractac

Why not call up Callahan, since ya know, he does all the same stuff that Abby does for his respective team? PK, net front on PP, puck retrieval on top line, defensively responsible, gritty forechecker.

Wouldn't he have to re-clear waivers if sent back down when Abby is good to go again though?

I don't think they're a top contender but they're in that second tier of teams that have a chance.

Right, I agree. This is all I'm really getting at, that they're in the conversation. By pretty much all measures, this is one of the better teams in the league right now and the success isn't unsustainable (i.e. we're not relying on stellar goaltending and unsustainably high shooting percentages, i.e. we're not the Flames - which is a good thing).

We should gradually be playing some rookies instead of needing to put 2-4 rookies at one time which is where we're headed

A veteran dman would be good at the deadline but we got ouellet who would upgrade our d with him being in it ... And then next year or 2 sproul and jensen

We need to make room for ouellet now and id say it's helped kindl has gotten some points last few games, might make it a bit easier to move him

And if we have an injury like you said we got marchenko jensen sproul backman in our system and times gonna run out on them before we know it and were gonna have to see them play a few games

There's really no rush. Ouellet's only in his second pro year and, as such, he's only a third-pairing defenseman on the Wings at this point- and Kindl's been pretty good for us. Sproul's only in his second pro year and flat-out isn't ready. Marchenko's only in his second pro year and he's essentially a simple defensive defenseman (who, remember, is coming off a serious injury and isn't 100% "right" yet), something we're not exactly dying for right now. Backman's in his first full pro year and flat-out isn't ready. Jensen had a good camp, but he's not really a high-end player, and he missed a lot of time because of that injury.

If we're looking for legitimate top-four help, we'll have to look outside the organization. Green, Petry, Franson...

Fingers crossed they use the roster spot on XO

As soon as I heard it was "day-to-day," I knew it was at least two weeks. That's how it goes these days.

I'd like to see Pulkkinen get at least a cup of coffee sometime soon, but I don't see it happening unless injuries rob us of some serious scoring depth. He's not a Mike Babcock Player, and I'm sure Kenny wants him to continue being The Guy on a Griffins team that needs to re-establish itself as a top team and go on a deep run.

Why not call up Callahan, since ya know, he does all the same stuff that Abby does for his respective team? PK, net front on PP, puck retrieval on top line, defensively responsible, gritty forechecker.
He's also smaller and slower.
Why not call up Callahan, since ya know, he does all the same stuff that Abby does for his respective team? PK, net front on PP, puck retrieval on top line, defensively responsible, gritty forechecker. Wouldn't he have to re-clear waivers if sent back down when Abby is good to go again though?
Iirc only after 10 games or 30 days.

This probably gives Jurco an opportunity to play in a top six role with Andersson taking over 4th line duties. I'm not worried about it. Jurco seems to be playing well and Andersson always looks better after sitting a few games. Our 4th hasn't looked like that rock solid shut down line it was early in the year

we're ranked 8th (in the league) with a game in hand (Some have 2 games in hand). Still, I like that.

Most surprising to me is how many ppl hailed the coming of the blue jackets. Now they're doing worse than the Sabres.

we're ranked 8th (in the league) with a game in hand (Some have 2 games in hand). Still, I like that.

Most surprising to me is how many ppl hailed the coming of the blue jackets. Now they're doing worse than the Sabres.

Some (me) also believe the jackets fall to very last place in the league may (does) have less to do with overall skill and more to do with a couple very highly touted upcoming draft picks... (TANK IT)

Right, I agree. This is all I'm really getting at, that they're in the conversation. By pretty much all measures, this is one of the better teams in the league right now and the success isn't unsustainable (i.e. we're not relying on stellar goaltending and unsustainably high shooting percentages, i.e. we're not the Flames - which is a good thing).

There's really no rush. Ouellet's only in his second pro year and, as such, he's only a third-pairing defenseman on the Wings at this point- and Kindl's been pretty good for us. Sproul's only in his second pro year and flat-out isn't ready. Marchenko's only in his second pro year and he's essentially a simple defensive defenseman (who, remember, is coming off a serious injury and isn't 100% "right" yet), something we're not exactly dying for right now. Backman's in his first full pro year and flat-out isn't ready. Jensen had a good camp, but he's not really a high-end player, and he missed a lot of time because of that injury.

If we're looking for legitimate top-four help, we'll have to look outside the organization. Green, Petry, Franson...

Whenever ouellet or any young d gets called up they'll most likely start on the 3rd pairing ... How many years can you spend in the ahl without having to clear waivers? 3? If that's the case then we will have 3-4 guys ready at the same time

My opinion is ouellet is ahead of those guys and on most other teams he'd be playing (yes I know we always let our guys stay down as long as possible) he reminds me of vlasic from sj , I think he can play now and we'd be better down the season stretch with him now

Kindl has been playing good but now is the time to send him packing, you can't trade a guy when he's useless , nobody will want him if he comes back to his old self(and I can see him screwing up defensively in the playoffs)

Besides ouellet I'd say the next guy closest to call up is jensen as he's already 24 yrs of age and the team seemed to like him a lot during the pre season (marchenko also played with men in the khl and is good defensively)

Bluejackets have had to deal with loads of injuries all year

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

So it's unrealistic to expect him to produce in that role. If he comes up he will play on the fourth line.

Well you're certainly free to speculate about what he could or couldn't do. But we've already established that he's not going to come up as a result of his waiver status, so I'm not really sure why you've chosen to play the contrarian on this particular talking point.

XO has officially become an overrated prospect! Congratulations everyone! Us, LGW, did it! 9 months from now, when we are all demanding he be traded, just remember it was us, the true red wings fans, who got him here.

Edited by number9

XO has officially become an overrated prospect! Congratulations everyone! Us, LGW, did it! 9 months from now, when we are all demanding he be traded, just remember it was us, the true red wings fans, who got him here.

I know you're joking (as always) so maybe I shouldn't point this at you... but I don't get why people in this thread are saying he's overrated, overhyped, etc. The only opinions I've seen is some saying that he should be in the lineup over Kindl. That's not really a grand statement - it is also Babcock's opinion as well. XO's shown himself to be quite ready in his call-ups and is the most ready of our AHL Dmen.

I don't think Kindl has been all that bad, but he is often a defensive liability. Ouellet could realistically be more solid.

Now, if someone has called him the second coming of Lidstrom and I didn't see it - my apologies.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk