• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Are the Wings a Contender?

Rate this topic

Everyone knows the Wings are not one of the better teams in the league. Consider:

• They're too old.
  • They're too young.
  • They rely on Datsyuk and Zetterberg for all of their production and goaltending.
  • They don't have David Backes.
  • They don't have that Forsberg kid.
  • They're not the Islanders.
  • They won't make the playoffs.

For those reasons, especially that last one, the Wings will miss the playoffs this season and Mike Babcock will sign with the Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Penguins, Flyers, Coyotes, Blue Jackets, Oilers, Devils, Ducks, and Sharks.

But seriously now. The Wings are right there near the very top of the standings (e.g. three points behind the Lightning with a game in hand). This team is pretty good, and I think it's only going to get better as the season goes on. And it looks like maybe some people outside of Wings Land might feel the same way. Doug MacLean, for example, called the Wings a contender a couple days ago. (Granted, he's Doug MacLean. But you've gotta take what you can get.) Corey Masisak of NHL.com says: "If this team adds a high-level defenseman, Detroit could win the East." (Granted, it's NHL.com.) So I'm wondering: Are the Wings a contender?

As I've said a number of times before, I don't think this is a Cup-or-bust season for the Wings, I think this season is mainly about development. IMHO, we're setting up for a proper push in 2015-16 and 2016-17. But maybe we're genuinely ahead of schedule. Maybe this team is good enough to be counted among the real contenders. Personally, I wouldn't go that far just yet. I'd say we're looking like a dark horse, a ninja team you don't really give much thought to, until you're dead. (The dead can think. Don't question me, it's science.)

What say you?

Edited by Dabura

I think this is a team that could make some noise and surprise people in the playoffs. But by no means do I think they are ready to contend. I think it is gonna take a playoff heart break to put the young guns on this team over the top. This team healthy can def give teams fits in a 7 game series. Would not be shocked to see next season having this team just be the right trade deadline move away from being a true contender.

I would say an outside contender... if that even makes sense. I think Montreal could drop as far as a wild card spot and the Wings will be is a race with Boston for the second seed in the division. Although we are close to Tampa right now they are a more polished team and should walk away with the division.

Low Expectations: Finish in wild card and 1st round win.

High Expectations: late 3rd round finish.

Edited by Smite

For many many years we were one scoring winger away from the cup. We got it in Franzen for '08, cup and almost another. I agree with NHL.com, one right handed D man who can take some of the load of Kronner and we'll be in serious contention.

The health of Weiss is pivotal. A healthy Weiss presents some serious match up issues for clubs. Really we need another Franzen kinda situation,.......we need a guy like oulette or sproul or hell even smith to come out of no where and hit next level. Achieve a ceiling none of us thought possible.

great-performances-in-film-marlon-brando

No, they're not. Howard has had one good playoff run in his career, and even then, he didn't get us to the Conference Finals. On top of his mediocrity, the defense is too unimpressive.

If healthy, this is a team that can finish in the top 4, but they're not built for the playoffs. They showed that last year, even though they got healthy by playoff time.

The thing with a cap, there isn't a dominating team. Every team has holes with talent spread out. On paper, we're probably not a major contender, but we're consistently outshooting the opposition, and Howard's playing well.

I guess I'll define contendor as a team that makes it to the SCF to actually contend directly for the Cup, at least for this post.

Traditionally there has been some value in being a top 4 seed entering the playoffs, although that value has been diminishing pretty steadily in recent years. Since the lockout in 2005, about 75% of teams to reach the Stanley Cup Final were seeded in the top four, although I didn't include last year in this statistic because the new playoff format is convoluted and I don't fully understand it yet. If you use the older playoff model, the Rangers and the Kings from last year would be 5th and 6th seeds respectively, which would make the last 10 years be 12/18 =66%. But whether you include them or not, since 2005, 66-75% of the teams to make it to the SCF have been top four in their conference/top four seeeded. Compare that value to just the past five years and it drops to 5/8=62% (not including last year) or 5/10=50% (including last year with the old model). So there does seem to be a trend developing where more teams from lower in the standings are making it to the finals in recent years. Whether that's actually the case or a statistical anomaly remains to be seen, but its certainly the way the league has designed itself, so I wouldn't be suprised to see this trend continue in the future. So having said that, with the Wings currently sitting in 5th place in the Eastern Conference, we are just on the outside being in that fabled top 4 (more specifically 3 points outside with one game in hand), although the more recent history is more favorable for our odds.

BUT even they do get into the top 4, only 2 teams out of 16 total make it to the Final. Do the Wings have what it takes to be THAT team over all the others, whether top 4 or otherwise? I have no idea. I definitely like our team better than last year. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Tatar and Nyquist and Sheahan have picked up right where they left off last year, and now have some playoff experience under their belt. Weiss may finally be able to contribute. Howard has been steady. The defense looks much more solid than it did at any point last year, and perhaps most importantly, the Wings have not been plagued by injuries (knock on wood). When you add the fact that we have several assets in the minors that may be able to contribute as black aces or get moved for an established difference-maker at the trade deadline (as we don't have room for all of our prospects on the team and waiver exemption only lasts so long), and it definitely looks better for us than it did last year. At the very least I expect they'll win more than one playoff game.

I'm going with the crowd here in saying, no, not yet. Most players on our team are still pretty unexperienced and experience is an invaluable asset during a playoff run. Can we upset a team or two ? Sure. But the talent out players have won't be enough this year. But that could look very different in a year or the year after when our future core enters it's prime years. Add to that 5 Vets in Kronner,Z, Dats, Mule and Weiss and we will have a deadly combo. But just not now imho.

Edited by derblaueClaus

Personally, I define "contender" as a top-ten team. I don't think there should only be four or five contenders at any time. I call those teams favorites. They're the four or five best teams in the league, but there are five or six or seven other teams that are good enough to go deep in the playoffs and maybe win it all.

I think the Wings might be one of the ten best teams in the league, if not right now then by deadline time. In this sense, I think you could argue they're contenders. Does that mean I honestly think they're right there with Tampa Bay? Nope. But we're much, much closer to the top than we are to the bottom.

Edited by Dabura

Personally, I define "contender" as a top-ten team. I don't think there should only be three or four contenders at any time. I call those teams favorites. They're the three or four best teams in the league, but there are six or seven other teams that are good enough to go deep in the playoffs and maybe win it all.

I think the Wings might be one of the ten best teams in the league, if not right now then by deadline time. In this sense, I think you could argue they're contenders. Does that mean I honestly think they're right there with Chicago and Anaheim? Nope. But we're much, much closer to the top than we are to the bottom.

The Wings have played like a top 10 team so far. 10th league-wide in points, 7th league-wide in goals per game, 9th league-wide in goals against per game, 11th league-wide in power play percentage, 2nd league-wide in PK, 12th league wide in shots per game, 2nd league-wide in shots against per game, 3rd league-wide in faceoffs, 4th fewest penalty minutes per game.

By your definiton I'd say they are contenders, and I certainly think they've been a top 10 team league-wide.

Edited by Echolalia

We are a team that can really screw up some other teams in the playoffs.

Team needs more time and a couple of changes, but Detroit is certainly moving in the right direction. Marked progress each season is realisitic.

I have not been shy about saying that I think this team is playing well enough to make a real stink in the playoffs. I haven't been so excited watching a Wings team in some time, and I really think even with no moves made, they've got a real good chance to make some noise. For them to make a real run though, Howard will have to be at his best in the playoffs. He's fully capable and I think he's had a great bounce back year, so I'm really, ridiculously, and exceedingly excited to see how things go down the stretch. It's going to be fun fun either way if the start is any indication.

I haven't been following this site in a while, but are you guys watching the same wings as me?? Of course they can contend!

They're young

They're fast

They get solid point contributions from 3 lines and their defense

Powerplay looks good

Pk looks good

Coaching obviously is good

Goaltending looks really good

They're grittier than last year

They have the ability to come back in games

They don't give up leads like they did last year

They've avoided the injury bug for the most part

Secondary guys have stepped up when our top guys have been hurt

And most importantly, they play really well against good teams!

The list goes on and on

Maybe I'm crazy though

I think this is a team that could make some noise and surprise people in the playoffs. But by no means do I think they are ready to contend. I think it is gonna take a playoff heart break to put the young guns on this team over the top. This team healthy can def give teams fits in a 7 game series. Would not be shocked to see next season having this team just be the right trade deadline move away from being a true contender.

Why not this year though with the right trade or trades?(veteran dman comes to mind) I mean most likely i see us surprising a team first round and being outed 2nd round but with zetterberg/datsyuk/kronwall/Franzen anythings possible.

I'm sure some of the kids learned from last years playoffs vs boston ... Nyquist and Tatar are only getting better ... If howard shuts the door down and keeps playing well

Might be biased cuz I love the wings but I think there's reason to be optimistic

I wouldn't say they are a cup favourite or even a contender. But, in 2014 anyone has a shot. I think it would be naive for anyone to say they can't win the cup. Do I think they will though.....no. I see this team being a team that gets to the second round, or if they are playing really well and everything is clicking on all cylinders, maybe 3rd. Playoff run really depends on how Howard is playing come that time of year.

Playoff Contender ? Yes but cup contender? No way in hell they are at least half a decade away from being at that stage again

Who knows Frank, a few months ago you were saying that the playoffs were out of reach.

Edited by kliq

I wouldn't say they are a cup favourite or even a contender. But, in 2014 anyone has a shot. I think it would be naive for anyone to say they can't win the cup. Do I think they will though.....no. I see this team being a team that gets to the second round, or if they are playing really well and everything is clicking on all cylinders, maybe 3rd. Playoff run really depends on how Howard is playing come that time of year.

Playoff Contender ? Yes but cup contender? No way in hell they are at least half a decade away from being at that stage again

Who knows Frank, a few months ago you were saying that the playoffs were out of reach.

Not true I've always said they are a playoff contender but added that I wouldn't be surprised if the streak ends.

There is a lot of hockey left

Not true I've always said they are a playoff contender but added that I wouldn't be surprised if the streak ends. There is a lot of hockey left

No, you have said that the Wings chances at making the playoffs are very slim, and that they need Howard to play like Rask this season to make the playoffs.

Not true I've always said they are a playoff contender but added that I wouldn't be surprised if the streak ends. There is a lot of hockey left

No, you have said that the Wings chances at making the playoffs are very slim, and that they need Howard to play like Rask this season to make the playoffs.

And I'll still stand by that if this team wants to make the playoffs goal tending will be key. The difference is I'm not expecting the playoffs anymore so it's easier to enjoy the young guys play. We are not even in December yet so let's keep it realistic.

But I'm really surprised with how bad the Flyers are they'll need a trade soon

Edited by frankgrimes

And I'll still stand by that if this team wants to make the playoffs goal tending will be key. The difference is I'm not expecting the playoffs anymore so it's easier to enjoy the young guys play. We are not even in December yet so let's keep it realistic. But I'm really surprised with how bad the Flyers are they'll need a trade soon

As in “We’re way better than I expected so far. Let’s not talk about this anymore until they start to suck and then I’m right” :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy: