• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

Sounds like the New York "Islanders" are no more...

Rate this topic

When they move to Brooklyn and the Barclay's Center next season it's sounding an awful lot like the name Islanders is going the way of the Dodo. The Company that owns the Barclay's Center has applied for two new trademarks on logos, both saying only "Brooklyn Hockey"

B-upaCIVEAA3Ese.jpg

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/brooklyn-hockey-barclays-center-trademarks-new-logos-before-islanders-arrival-next-season/

Edited by Jersey Wing

They will bury that name, you watch. These logos are a Trojan Horse. Nobody going to Brooklyn to see the Islanders is going to buy an Islander-themed jersey/shirt. They all want to simply identify as Brooklyn. This is just the beginning. I'll guess the fisherman has five years left at sea.

This is how they brand the Nets now on Facebook, one of their front pages to reach their fans:
16475691878_a290a07373.jpg

Not much Nets and I cannot imagine (and I work in this soulless craptastic industry of PR and advertising) the Islander logo as it is, even in new colors withstanding a long run.

Edited by Jersey Wing

I actually like the whole "Brooklyn" thing. Don't get me wrong, I loathe New York City, and all NYC related things. But I love when sports teams actually embrace and represent the community in which they are located. The Detroit Tigers don't have a Tiger on their hat. They have a "D". And that's become a symbol, not just of the team, but of the city, the heritage, the people, the culture, etc.

These teams are first, and foremost, representatives of their city. So who really gives a s*** if somebody else has a hard time identifying with them because it says "Brooklyn" or "Detroit" or whatever? The Islanders will be the team that represents the city of Brooklyn. If you're from Buffalo, or Ontario, or wherever, you've got your own team. If you don't like your team, you're welcome to root for the Brooklyn team. But make no mistake about who it's representing.

I'm surprised they wanted to move to the Barclays Center. That place definitely wasn't built for hockey. It will already be the smallest capacity in the league and there will be more than just a handful of obstructed view seats...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/29/schwartz-the-good-bad-and-obstructed-of-islanders-hockey-at-barclays/

My wife and I went to a Black Keys show there and you had the idea that yeah, it wasn't built for hockey unless they're going to stick a bunch of ugly portable seats near the ice, the side built-in seating is set waaaaay back. We walked around the place and tried to have an open mind but we both thought the Prudential Center was far superior.

I recall owner Wang spent a handful of years trying to win the residents on Long Island on renovating their current arena, and build up the area in general, but the folks there voted it down.

Instead Wang signed a 20 year (or was it 15 yr) lease with the Barclays Center.

EDIT - it's a 25 yr lease.

Aha, thanks for the clarification.

Guest Playmaker

It's more likely that they change the name to the Brooklyn Islanders. Brooklyn is ON Long Island for those of you that are geographically challenged.

Um, no, no it's not. They will still be in NY as Brooklyn is a borough of NYC. They will no longer be Islanders as Brooklyn is not on Long Island. LI is made up of suburbs of NYC.

Um, no, no it's not. They will still be in NY as Brooklyn is a borough of NYC. They will no longer be Islanders as Brooklyn is not on Long Island. LI is made up of suburbs of NYC.

Brooklyn isn't on Long Island huh? Sure about that? I'll give you a minute to check a map and recant if you'd like?

Most NY'ers consider Long Island to be Nassau and Suffolk.

Is that what I said? Pretty sure I said "Brooklyn is on Long Island". Which is empirically true. And the reason I brought it up was to say that moving to Brooklyn does not imply a name change. They could still be the "Islanders", as they'd still be on the island. Whereas, if they moved to the Bronx (for instance), they'd probably need to change their name as they'd no longer be on an island.

The Brooklyn Islanders would still be accurate, and not a geographic anomaly...which was my point.

Most NY'ers consider Long Island to be Nassau and Suffolk.

What most NY'ers consider the Island to be doesn't really matter. Most Manhattan-ites still think that Brooklyn is a foreign country that you need a passport to visit.

Also, the Rock might be an amazing building to watch hockey in, but when most NY/NJ hockey fans are frightened to go to there... what difference does it make?

Is that what I said? Pretty sure I said "Brooklyn is on Long Island". Which is empirically true. And the reason I brought it up was to say that moving to Brooklyn does not imply a name change. They could still be the "Islanders", as they'd still be on the island. Whereas, if they moved to the Bronx (for instance), they'd probably need to change their name as they'd no longer be on an island.

The Brooklyn Islanders would still be accurate, and not a geographic anomaly...which was my point.

Maybe the crazy cold weather froze the island and made a crack just east of Queens?

Edited by Dr Dubya

I've never been there, but the last I've heard is that Brooklyn (NYC borough) is on the western most portion of Long Island.

That is correct. Technically, Manhattan is an island as well, hence why you have to take the tunnels, bridges, or ferries over.

Go North and you find yourself in the Bronx, further north into Westchester County, and then into CT.

Go South and you hit Brooklyn. West would lead you to Staten Island (GTA III, for those of you gamers). Go East and you hit Queens, then Nassau/Suffolk County, which is considered "Long Island".

The boroughs of NYC are DEFINITELY unique - I dispatch elevator technicians throughout the region and it's always funny how someone who lives/grew up in a particular borough talks badly about the people of the other areas.

Manhattanites are the demanding, rude people.

Bronxites are the tough, old ghetto folk.

Brooklynites are the wannabe gangsters.

Queenies are the boring, sissified people.

Staten Islanders aren't true NYC folk.

Bronx has a bunch of shopping areas/hospitals.

Manhattan has a bunch of hotels/corporate buildings.

Brooklyn has a bunch of churches/housing complexes.

Queens has a giant-ass airport.

Staten Island has nobody-cares-what's-on-that-island.

These are true stereotypes lol.

That is correct. Technically, Manhattan is an island as well, hence why you have to take the tunnels, bridges, or ferries over.

Go North and you find yourself in the Bronx, further north into Westchester County, and then into CT.

Go South and you hit Brooklyn. West would lead you to Staten Island (GTA III, for those of you gamers). Go East and you hit Queens, then Nassau/Suffolk County, which is considered "Long Island".

The boroughs of NYC are DEFINITELY unique - I dispatch elevator technicians throughout the region and it's always funny how someone who lives/grew up in a particular borough talks badly about the people of the other areas.

Manhattanites are the demanding, rude people.

Bronxites are the tough, old ghetto folk.

Brooklynites are the wannabe gangsters.

Queenies are the boring, sissified people.

Staten Islanders aren't true NYC folk.

Bronx has a bunch of shopping areas/hospitals.

Manhattan has a bunch of hotels/corporate buildings.

Brooklyn has a bunch of churches/housing complexes.

Queens has a giant-ass airport.

Staten Island has nobody-cares-what's-on-that-island.

These are true stereotypes lol.

Knew a guy from NY once who described it as:

Manhattan - The city

Bronx - Yankee Stadium

Brooklyn - The ghetto

Queens - The airport

Staten Island - New Jersey

Knew a guy from NY once who described it as:

Manhattan - The city

Bronx - Yankee Stadium

Brooklyn - The ghetto

Queens - The airport

Staten Island - New Jersey

I'll try my stereotypes as well

Manhattan - Seinfeld

Bronx - Yankees

Brooklyn - Russia

Queens - That movie with Eddie Murphy ("Coming to America")

Staten Island - ???????????