• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

themcityblues

Mrazek to start how many games?

Rate this topic

Had Mrazek started against Philly, and Howard against PIT, the scores probably would have been nearly the same with the way our skaters played in each of those games,

No way. Petr playedfantastic yesterday. Howard would have let in some crappy goal while we only had a one goal lead and the game could have been different. Howard simply has not been making the saves he needs to consistently.

No way. Petr playedfantastic yesterday. Howard would have let in some crappy goal while we only had a one goal lead and the game could have been different. Howard simply has not been making the saves he needs to consistently.

So you didn't notice anything different in how the team played against PIT versus the previous 5 games?

Their is a reason he said 'nearly the same'.

I don't think it would be as drastic as you say considering how bad the defense played against Philly. I mean how many goals were 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 goals.

This phrase obviously sticks out and you must have meant it to provoke a response: "I just don't understand why people would rather lose with Howard than win with Mrazek. It doesn't make sense." Come on! You know things are not as simple as that. Mrazek will be a great goalie, but he's still getting used to the league and developing. It's not being "a Howard apologist" or Howard diehard or whatever to be reticent to put our trust in Mrazek in this year's playoffs. He's got us wins, but has also been pulled a couple of times and had a string of bad games. He hasn't been absolute lights out and that's what he would have to be to supplant an established number 1 goalie. It's definitely not "lose with Howard than win with Mrazek" in the playoffs. We really don't know how Mrazek would perform in that situation.

A more measured response to Mrazek's success is to allow him Gus's spot as backup and get him some more games this year. I don't think anyone would be against Mrazek playing the next game after a solid win. Then we'll hope Howard can get back into the form he was in earlier in the season. That would be the best situation for the team come playoff time. He was being talked about for the Vezina and had a top GAA at some point. We're not talking about Joey MacDonald here. (Sorry, Joey - was trying to think of a low level goalie) Then let's see how they play for the rest of the season. If Mrazek goes full Hammond and Howard struggles mightily, then maybe it's time for this discussion. It's not right now from what we've seen.

The thing is, ever since his very short span of bad games, he has been nothing but lights out. I'm not saying the team should give up on Howard and get rid of him in the offseason. But Mrazek is the hot goalie right now and they should absolutely give him as many starts as Howard for the time being to give one of the two the chance to absolutely prove they are the go to guy come round one. Having Mrazek sitting on the bench every game is the worst thing they could do with how hot he has been since just before Howard came back from injury. He needs to get regular playing time. Luckily the next two games are back to back, meaning he and Howard will start each of them anyway. All I know is that the pressure should absolutely be on Howard during his next start. Because his job as the playoff starter should absolutely be on the line.

Had Mrazek started against Philly, and Howard against PIT, the scores probably would have been nearly the same with the way our skaters played in each of those games,

No doubt the Wings played much better against the Pens overall. But Mrazek's play also could have had a lot to do with that. It was the same last year when Gus was in net. The team played better.

Mrazek also made the early lead matter. Pens had several chances to get themselves back into the game, but Mrazek shut the door. And the Wings responded to that every single time.

The thing is, ever since his very short span of bad games, he has been nothing but lights out. I'm not saying the team should give up on Howard and get rid of him in the offseason. But Mrazek is the hot goalie right now and they should absolutely give him as many starts as Howard for the time being to give one of the two the chance to absolutely prove they are the go to guy come round one. Having Mrazek sitting on the bench every game is the worst thing they could do with how hot he has been since just before Howard came back from injury. He needs to get regular playing time. Luckily the next two games are back to back, meaning he and Howard will start each of them anyway. All I know is that the pressure should absolutely be on Howard during his next start. Because his job as the playoff starter should absolutely be on the line.

No doubt the Wings played much better against the Pens overall. But Mrazek's play also could have had a lot to do with that. It was the same last year when Gus was in net. The team played better.

Mrazek also made the early lead matter. Pens had several chances to get themselves back into the game, but Mrazek shut the door. And the Wings responded to that every single time.

I don't believe the team magically plays better just bc Mrazek or Gus is in net.

No doubt Mrazek played good. But that shouldn't take away the fact that the team left Howie out to dry game after game.

That being said. Play the hot goalie.

While I agree to an extent, if Howard let in a bad goal early in the game against the Pens the team could've played drastically different. There's really no point or good way to discuss/argue "if" scenarios like this. With that said Howard's not so stellar play lately is also being amplified by bad D. It's really on both him and the team. He's not bailing them out with a timely save but at the same time he's being left out to dry. Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

I assume you mean in the AHL because his last game with the Wings before yesterday, he was pulled. I also think it's wrong to say "how hot he has been since just before Howard came back from injury." If you remember, Mrazek was struggling at the end of that run. But I don't really disagree with your view that much. I definitely wouldn't automatically split games, I'd give Mrazek the next game and play things by ear as we go here. We should be hoping Howard gets into the form he was earlier in the season. If he doesn't and Mrazek runs away with it - that's good too. But he definitely hasn't done that at this point.

Anyway, I was more responding to roboturner who was criticizing Howard's past playoff performances and seems very much to be advocating going all in with Mrazek and writing off Howard.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Suddenly a seriies of bad games is forgotten, if a rookie goalie has 1 good game after the captain, coach and Kronner called out the team after an embarrassing loss. It's really unbelievable.

I 'd rather see Howie back in there and get his game back....just watched the Philly game man that was bad but 4 of the goals were gifts not even king Henrik could stop them.

They don't get made about a six-year veteran because there's not as much at stake for him. You know what you're getting out of Jimmy - Mrazek's still progressing. I think you're mixing up hatred with people wanting Mrazek to be the best possible version of himself. That said, I do think he's more than ready for back-up duty. Monster simply can't stay healthy - I want as much depth as possible on this team, but Gustavsson isn't providing that anymore.

If Petr is going to push Howard in the post-season, then power to him. A lot of what was discussed in those Howard vs. Mrazek posts was about Howie being traded, because some people think Mrazek needs to be the starter right now. I doubt you'll find many people around here saying Mrazek isn't ready to work behind Howie in the NHL.

Even though Gus is injury prone, I still don't see Mrazek getting the backup job over him when/if he returns this season, no matter how well Mrazek plays. He'll most likely be a healthy scratch or back in GR, cause thats just how it seems to work. Next season though he'll be the full time backup. Never know though I guess...

Edited by chaps80

Even though Gus is injury prone, I still don't see Mrazek getting the backup job over him when/if he returns this season, no matter how well Mrazek plays. He'll most likely be a healthy scratch or back in GR, cause thats just how it seems to work. Next season though he'll be the full time backup. Never know though I guess...

I honestly think Gus has had his last start with this team. With there no longer being a roster limit post trade deadline, I think Mrazek is here to stay. Only chance I can see him being sent down is if Howard starts playing like he did before his injury again, and they want Mrazek to log minutes.

I honestly think Gus has had his last start with this team. With there no longer being a roster limit post trade deadline, I think Mrazek is here to stay. Only chance I can see him being sent down is if Howard starts playing like he did before his injury again, and they want Mrazek to log minutes.

Yeah, that's why I said you never know. Either way, Gus is done in Detroit after this season.

For this season, since he is already paid, I agree. But I can't find the logic behind it in the first place. Paying a #2 goalie like Gus only makes sense if you consider your talent in #3 not to be ready. But that's not the fact, every time Jimmy sits, Petr should get the start. So why did they re-sign Gus? Makes no sense..

Maybe you could say "but we want Petr to play, not sit on the bench as a backup". Fine, put McCollum on the bench when Jimmy plays, let Petr start in GR and recall him, when you want to rest Jimmy/Jimmy is injured once again/Jimmy sucks. Then move McCollum down..

Maybe you could say "but if that doesn't work for whatever reason (delayed flights, Jimmy being a late scratch for whatever reason with Petr not able to get to the game in time, etc. ..) we would have to play McCollum!". Sure, might happen. But how often? 1,2 or 3 times in 82 games? Why pay ~2 mil/year just for that scenario, if you could use them elsewhere with more impact? I'd rather do that and let McCollum get a couple games...

For this season, since he is already paid, I agree. But I can't find the logic behind it in the first place. Paying a #2 goalie like Gus only makes sense if you consider your talent in #3 not to be ready. But that's not the fact, every time Jimmy sits, Petr should get the start. So why did they re-sign Gus? Makes no sense..

Maybe you could say "but we want Petr to play, not sit on the bench as a backup". Fine, put McCollum on the bench when Jimmy plays, let Petr start in GR and recall him, when you want to rest Jimmy/Jimmy is injured once again/Jimmy sucks. Then move McCollum down..

Maybe you could say "but if that doesn't work for whatever reason (delayed flights, Jimmy being a late scratch for whatever reason with Petr not able to get to the game in time, etc. ..) we would have to play McCollum!". Sure, might happen. But how often? 1,2 or 3 times in 82 games? Why pay ~2 mil/year just for that scenario, if you could use them elsewhere with more impact? I'd rather do that and let McCollum get a couple games...

They re-signed Gustavsson because, prior to this season, Mrazek had a total of 11 appearances in NHL games.

And, this is a team that has historically leaned heavily toward the safer option of experience over the riskier option of potential. It is safer to sign Gustavsson (or some other backup with a decent amount of NHL experience) and risk paying him even though you don't need him than to not sign him and risk wishing you had.

So you're suggesting to let a goalie(McCollum) warm the bench, be paid for it, but never get to play? That makes no sense. Call mrazek up and send McCollum down then send mrazek down and call McCollum ack up after? Talk about a Circus act... Is samuelsson gonna come out and juggle flaming swords during intermissions? I'd pay quite heavily to see that

Suddenly a seriies of bad games is forgotten, if a rookie goalie has 1 good game after the captain, coach and Kronner called out the team after an embarrassing loss. It's really unbelievable.

I 'd rather see Howie back in there and get his game back....just watched the Philly game man that was bad but 4 of the goals were gifts not even king Henrik could stop them.

I'm like you, I'd like to see Howard back in there. Just not against the Panthers, I'd like to see Mrazek get another start. And then have Howie in against Tampa.

So you're suggesting to let a goalie(McCollum) warm the bench, be paid for it, but never get to play? That makes no sense. Call mrazek up and send McCollum down then send mrazek down and call McCollum ack up after? Talk about a Circus act... Is samuelsson gonna come out and juggle flaming swords during intermissions? I'd pay quite heavily to see that

One time I suggested double shifting Dan cleary on Dan cleary bobble head night, and to make up for his lack of ability the crowd would throw the bobble heads at the opposition.

No one seemed to enjoy my circus idea.

But paying a goalie you actually don't want to play ~2 mil makes more sense? Or having Petr full-time in Detroit, having him count faceoffs more than getting ice time?

Does Sammys ability to move (at all..) allow him to juggle? :w00t:

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke

They re-signed Gustavsson because, prior to this season, Mrazek had a total of 11 appearances in NHL games.

And, this is a team that has historically leaned heavily toward the safer option of experience over the riskier option of potential. It is safer to sign Gustavsson (or some other backup with a decent amount of NHL experience) and risk paying him even though you don't need him than to not sign him and risk wishing you had.

Gus was also one of the reasons we even made the playoffs last year when Howard was hurt. Mrazek had almost no NHL experience then. Always best to have an experienced backup, as was said above.

But paying a goalie you actually don't want to play ~2 mil makes more sense?

Who said they did'nt want him to play?

In a perfect world, you want your talent to surpass your injury-prone, old backup goalie. Even with him being great last year and a major factor for making the playoffs. But yeah, I get the "you need a proven backup when your talent just had 11 NHL games" argument, so I surrender...

...for now, discussing contracts we handed out before this season. Next season, I don't want us to spend money on Gus again. ;)

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke

In a perfect world, you want your talent to surpass your injury-prone, old backup goalie. Even with him being great last year and a major factor for making the playoffs. But yeah, I get the "you need a proven backup when your talent just had 11 NHL games" argument, so I surrender...

...for now, discussing contracts we handed out before this season. Next season, I don't want us to spend money on Gus again. ;)

But Nyquist is our future!

But Nyquist is our future!

What will be interesting I think is that for the first time since the 90s the Wings won't be led by superstars. We had Stevie and Feds, followed by the entire HOF team, then Z and D and Lids. The future is Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Larkin, Pulkkinnen, Mantha, Marchenko, XO, Sproul, etc. I don't think any of them will be elite (as of now) but maybe a deep balanced system will work. But if some of them become elite F yeah keep on rollin red wings