• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead to expansion draft ... If Vegas comes to the nhl etc

Rate this topic

Been looking around with all the talk of expansion team(s) after this next season coming and saw this

26 of the 28 teams existing in the league at the time of the draft were each allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. The Atlanta Thrashers and Nashville Predators had their entire rosters protected, as they were the two newest franchises in the league, only being in existence for one and two years respectively.

Does anyone know if these rules would still apply? That was from the 2000 expansion draft

If that's the case I'd definetly only protect one goalie so we can protect more d's and forwards

I'm pretty sure this thread already exists

Sorry if it does ... My bad

Howard and Franzen would not be protected for sure.

Was thinking the same ... More worried about upfront depending on who makes the team for 2016-2017 and if helm,abdelkader returns

Guessing off the bat miller and Andersson won't be protected if there still in detroit

I'd imagine we would definitely go with protecting only Mrazek in goal if they go about the expansion draft in a similar manner. Is it just unprotected main roster players that are up for draft? It would be garbage if they could poach players from junior and GR as well. I'd rather they just get thrown in with the basement dwelling teams for draft lottery day than to get a s*** at poaching other franchise's prospects.

If you had to make one of these choices right now, what what would you do? and who would you protect?

I would chose to protect one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards.

Here is my list:

F ABDELKADER (PROCTECTED)

F ANDERSSON

F DATSYUK (PROTECTED)

F FERRARO

F FRANZEN

F GLENDENING (PROCTECTED)

F HELM (PROCTECTED)

F JURCO (PROCTECTED)

F MILLER

F NYQUIST (PROTECTED)

F SHEAHAN (PROCTECTED)

F TATAR (PROCTECTED)

F WEISS

F ZETTERBERG (PROCTECTED)

D DEKEYSER (PROCTECTED)

D ERICSSON (PROCTECTED)

D KINDL

D KRONWALL (PROCTECTED)

D QUINCEY (PROCTECTED)

D SMITH (PROCTECTED)

G HOWARD

G MRAZEK (PROCTECTED)

Not many surprises there I suppose, but interesting to think about.

The biggest decision would be whether or not to protect both Howard and Mrazek.

Thoughts?

If you had to make one of these choices right now, what what would you do? and who would you protect?

I would chose to protect one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards.

Here is my list:

F ABDELKADER (PROCTECTED)

F ANDERSSON

F DATSYUK (PROTECTED)

F FERRARO

F FRANZEN

F GLENDENING (PROCTECTED)

F HELM (PROCTECTED)

F JURCO (PROCTECTED)

F MILLER

F NYQUIST (PROTECTED)

F SHEAHAN (PROCTECTED)

F TATAR (PROCTECTED)

F WEISS

F ZETTERBERG (PROCTECTED)

D DEKEYSER (PROCTECTED)

D ERICSSON (PROCTECTED)

D KINDL

D KRONWALL (PROCTECTED)

D QUINCEY (PROCTECTED)

D SMITH (PROCTECTED)

G HOWARD

G MRAZEK (PROCTECTED)

Not many surprises there I suppose, but interesting to think about.

The biggest decision would be whether or not to protect both Howard and Mrazek.

Thoughts?

That's pretty much how I'd go about it. Definitely only protect Mrazek over protecting 2 goalies. By the time we would have to worry about this, Datsyuk will be retired (</3), and Quincey will likely be gone anyway. Which in that case protect Larkin and two of our most important not already protected dmen in 2 years time. On the roster right now, sure, protect Ericsson. In 2 years? Hell naw, unless he happens to prove otherwise.

The rules were changed for every expansion draft from San Jose to Columbus/Minnesota. Who knows what they'll be whenever the league expands again.. I'm sure it'll depend on how many teams are being added. This would also be the first expansion since the salary cap was instituted, so I wonder if teams would be required to expose a contract or two above a certain threshold, to help ensure teams reach the salary floor...

There were also rules for minimum number of NHL games played, so most young players were exempt from the draft.

The rules were changed for every expansion draft from San Jose to Columbus/Minnesota. Who knows what they'll be whenever the league expands again.. I'm sure it'll depend on how many teams are being added. This would also be the first expansion since the salary cap was instituted, so I wonder if teams would be required to expose a contract or two above a certain threshold, to help ensure teams reach the salary floor...

There were also rules for minimum number of NHL games played, so most young players were exempt from the draft.

Maybe we should hang on to Howard then

I'd imagine we would definitely go with protecting only Mrazek in goal if they go about the expansion draft in a similar manner. Is it just unprotected main roster players that are up for draft? It would be garbage if they could poach players from junior and GR as well. I'd rather they just get thrown in with the basement dwelling teams for draft lottery day than to get a s*** at poaching other franchise's prospects.

Ya I'm pretty sure ahl players are out of the question

That's pretty much how I'd go about it. Definitely only protect Mrazek over protecting 2 goalies. By the time we would have to worry about this, Datsyuk will be retired (</3), and Quincey will likely be gone anyway. Which in that case protect Larkin and two of our most important not already protected dmen in 2 years time. On the roster right now, sure, protect Ericsson. In 2 years? Hell naw, unless he happens to prove otherwise.

There's talk of it happening after this season coming so Pavel will still be here for the 2016-2017 season(hopefully he changes his mind and stays longer)

Gotta think ouellet and marchenko will be have to be protected as well Along with kronwall and dekeyser so the 5th will be Ericsson depending who we pick up

Just know sproul/jensen better not be available (probably some nhl games limit they must play before being exposed)

There's talk of it happening after this season coming so Pavel will still be here for the 2016-2017 season(hopefully he changes his mind and stays longer)

Gotta think ouellet and marchenko will be have to be protected as well Along with kronwall and dekeyser so the 5th will be Ericsson depending who we pick up

Just know sproul/jensen better not be available (probably some nhl games limit they must play before being exposed)

It's been said the earliest we would possibly see expansion teams is for the 2017/18 season.

If Pav stays beyond his current contract, hopefully he and Holland play the system and hold off on a new contract until after the expansion draft, so we can protect an extra player.

It's been said the earliest we would possibly see expansion teams is for the 2017/18 season.

If Pav stays beyond his current contract, hopefully he and Holland play the system and hold off on a new contract until after the expansion draft, so we can protect an extra player.

I heard McGuire on the radio today say it could be as soon as 2016-2017 season

I heard the players aren't happy apparently cause the nhl owners get to keep all the money from franchise fees(poor babies) I don't know for certain but I can see the nhl bringing up new teams before they can renogiatiate the contract so players get 50/50 of the franchise fees

Howard and Franzen would not be protected for sure.

I don't think Howard will be around when this actually happens and if Franzen stays on LTIR, I wonder how that would affect things. I'll be very surprised if it happens after next season.

Edited by gcom007

Expansion is such a silly idea when there's franchises in dire need of re-location.

EDIT - and IMHO - forget Vegas...Seattle (Coyotes), and Quebec City (Panthers) should be the 2 top destinations.

I'd agree with this. Vegas seems like a cheap gimmick and they're going to have some incredibly corny name too.

Expansion is such a silly idea when there's franchises in dire need of re-location.

EDIT - and IMHO - forget Vegas...Seattle (Coyotes), and Quebec City (Panthers) should be the 2 top destinations.

I agree but you have to remember the owners will get a $500+ million franchise fee for a new team. If they move an existing franchise, the owners get nothing and it's another acknowledged failure of one of Bettman's southern teams.

It'd be better for the league if they moved an existing franchise, but more money for the owners and Gary if they expand. I wonder which one will win out...

I agree but you have to remember the owners will get a $500+ million franchise fee for a new team. If they move an existing franchise, the owners get nothing and it's another acknowledged failure of one of Bettman's southern teams.

It'd be better for the league if they moved an existing franchise, but more money for the owners and Gary if they expand. I wonder which one will win out...

And thus you just pointed out why there's gonna be no relocation ...$$$

New expansion teams are coming whether we like it or not

And at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the playoff format somehow down the road to make more cash

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

And thus you just pointed out why there's gonna be no relocation ...$$$

New expansion teams are coming whether we like it or not

And at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the playoff format somehow down the road to make more cash

Agreed. If Bettman claims that "opening the expansion process" doesn't necessarily mean anything, you can guarantee the exact opposite is true. The league is definitely expanding.

I hate Bettman but he's no idiot and is always thinking way ahead on any move he makes. The lockouts were a meticulously calculated financial decision, as is expansion. If this wasn't something he thought would bring more money to his owners, he wouldn't have even uttered the word.

Agreed. If Bettman claims that "opening the expansion process" doesn't necessarily mean anything, you can guarantee the exact opposite is true. The league is definitely expanding.

I hate Bettman but he's no idiot and is always thinking way ahead on any move he makes. The lockouts were a meticulously calculated financial decision, as is expansion. If this wasn't something he thought would bring more money to his owners, he wouldn't have even uttered the word.

If they add 4 more teams down the road let's say that'll be a bunch of 4th line players basically sticking around in the nhl when they shouldn't which will make a less better product in my opinion

Also means you'll see better players possibly getting more money and spread out since some teams won't be able to keep 3-4 guys making 8+per let's say

Anyways ... Expansion will happen ...whatever happens detroit better not go back to the west

I think there are certain players that don't need protected. Rookies or players with very little NHL experience. I the draft happened before the 16-17 season, there a chance as long as they spend most of this season in GR, that Oullett, Marchenko, Sproul and or Jensen will NOT have to be protected. But you'd have Pulkkinen that needs it for sure. Looking at the potential 16-17 roster, here is my options:

(I am going to assume in this case that Detroit signs both Soderberg and Green for my scenario, plus assuming they re-sign Abby, Helm, Miller, Andersson)

FORWARDS

Protected:

Datsyuk, Zetterbreg, Soderberg, Tatar, Sheahan, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Helm, Pulkkinen

Unprotected:

Weiss, Franzen, Miller, Jurco, Andersson, Ferraro, Callahan (That is IF Callahan even needed protecting or not due to experience)

DEFENSE

Protected:

Kronwall, Green, Dekeyser, Smith (if resigned,) Marchenko (just going with him as the guy that will get most of the playing time.) Ouellet (I know only 5, but if XO has to be protected because of his experience thus far then I protect him and not Smith.)

Unprotected:

Ericsson, Jensen, Kindl

GOALIES

Protected:

Mrazek

Unprtected:

Howard, McCullom

Now, is the rule still that you can only lose ONE player? If so, then we are sitting pretty. More than likely Vegas would select Ericsson or Howard, in which our loss would be minimal.

Edited by LeftWinger