• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

New Ultra-Enhanced Video/Renderings of the Arena District

Rate this topic

I'm still pissed they're going to demolish the arena with the greatest non-corporate name in sports.

This new arena looks cool, though, and I understand they want to be on par with other new arenas around the league. I just wish we weren't so keen in this country with demolishing legendary arenas. They don't do s*** like that in Europe.

I'm still pissed they're going to demolish the arena with the greatest non-corporate name in sports.

This new arena looks cool, though, and I understand they want to be on par with other new arenas around the league. I just wish we weren't so keen in this country with demolishing legendary arenas. They don't do s*** like that in Europe.

We're not European. Thank god.

It sucks to lose The Joe but if they didn't demolish it then it would just become part of the problem that's been plaguing Detroit for decades: abandoned real-estate.

Why? They actually enjoy life.

My point was, they wouldn't tear down a Yankee Stadium or a Montreal Forum or a Boston Garden. There's history in those buildings and players and fans felt something special when they went to a game. Now you have these big corporate named arenas with more seats and more comfort, but less atmosphere. It's not as memorable and not as great an experience. Every time I meet someone who went to a sporting event at the Boston Garden or at the Chicago Stadium, I ask them about it. Don't really care about the TD Garden or the Air Canada Center, and nobody will care in 30 years about them, because they will probably be demolished by then. Not much time to make history there. As a fan, I want to attend a stadium where legends played. You can do that in Europe, but not here. Unless you go to Lambeau Field, Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. We'll see how long those last.

Maybe it's a cultural mentality. In Europe, they have famous soccer stadiums that have been around, in some cases, over 100 years. They'd never think of demolishing those. Maybe it's because Europe has more history than North America and has been around much longer. We haven't been around long and want to make our stadiums look brand new every 20 years.

So yeah, I'm sad they're demolishing the JLA arena. It's where Yzerman, Lidstrom and so many other greats played.

It sucks to lose The Joe but if they didn't demolish it then it would just become part of the problem that's been plaguing Detroit for decades: abandoned real-estate.

Couldn't they hold other events there? Concerts and such.

You're a European-American aren't you? Or are you Native American?

Edited by GMRwings1983

My point was, they wouldn't tear down a Yankee Stadium or a Montreal Forum or a Boston Garden. There's history in those buildings and players and fans felt something special when they went to a game. Now you have these big corporate named arenas with more seats and more comfort, but less atmosphere. It's not as memorable and not as great an experience. Every time I meet someone who went to a sporting event at the Boston Garden or at the Chicago Stadium, I ask them about it. Don't really care about the TD Garden or the Air Canada Center, and nobody will care in 30 years about them, because they will probably be demolished by then. Not much time to make history there. As a fan, I want to attend a stadium where legends played. You can do that in Europe, but not here. Unless you go to Lambeau Field, Wrigley Field or Fenway Park. We'll see how long those last.

Maybe it's a cultural mentality. In Europe, they have famous soccer stadiums that have been around, in some cases, over 100 years. They'd never think of demolishing those. Maybe it's because Europe has more history than North America and has been around much longer. We haven't been around long and want to make our stadiums look brand new every 20 years.

So yeah, I'm sad they're demolishing the JLA arena. It's where Yzerman, Lidstrom and so many other greats played.

I'm black.

Ok. I have a question for you then. Would you rather keep the old building around and have big advertising on the front of the Jersey like European soccer. Or would you rather have no Jersey advertising and a corporate name on a new arena?

Ok. I have a question for you then. Would you rather keep the old building around and have big advertising on the front of the Jersey like European soccer. Or would you rather have no Jersey advertising and a corporate name on a new arena?

So if we don't destroy the JLA, we need to put ads on the jersey? I don't see that kind of fallout. And of course I wouldn't want ads on the jersey. But I don't see that as the only alternative.

So if we don't destroy the JLA, we need to put ads on the jersey? I don't see that kind of fallout. And of course I wouldn't want ads on the jersey. But I don't see that as the only alternative.

You compared European soccer not demolishing old buildings to na demolishing old buildings. I just gave you an alternate comparison.

They keep they're buildings from being knocked down, we don't.

They have ads on their jerseys. We don't.

You compared European soccer not demolishing old buildings to na demolishing old buildings. I just gave you an alternate comparison.

They keep they're buildings from being knocked down, we don't.

They have ads on their jerseys. We don't.

Well, I wasn't comparing them across every issue. Of course there's things we do better than them. The ads on European hockey jerseys are even worse. The only point was about arenas. I like the older arenas with history. But there's a lot more, obviously, that goes into it (like politics). I understand why the city of Detroit needs to do this. I'm just lamenting how there's so few buildings left with history. The Nassau coliseum was a dump, but those great Islander teams of the 80's played there. Same thing with Rexall place and the Oilers. At least people went into that building knowing that's where Gretzky and those great Oilers teams played back in the day. I've always wanted to see a game there.

The JLA has not been around for 50 or 60 years, but 35 years is as long as you'll see in today's sports world. In a few years, Madison Square Garden will now be the only old building left in the NHL.

Yeah. But msg has what, four teams that play out of it, five teams?

And they constantly renovate it. So its not like its really historic.

Every place something cool happens has been updated thirty times. The only original thing is the building.

Two teams play in MSG. Knicks and Rangers. Not sure where you got four or five teams from.

Why would an act go there when there is a brand new state of the art arena to play in?

The Joe sucks for concerts as it is.

Because it would probably be cheaper and there would be nights during the season when the Wings would be playing. Besides, do you really want to allow Nickelback into your new, state of the art arena?

Edited by GMRwings1983

Didn't they tear down Yankee Stadium immediately after the last season they used it?

Yep. And built a new one a block away. If I ever go to a Yankees game, I can't say I'm at the stadium where Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle played. Kind of ruins it historically for me.

I have never attended a game at the JLA, but will definitely plan on going before the Wings play their last game there.

Will next season be the last game at the JLA? Or is it the season after that? Anyone know?

I'm not sure that is the real situation.

"Okay guys, either we demolish the arena or we have ads on the jerseys to keep the arena standing. What's it gonna be?"

Yep. And built a new one a block away. If I ever go to a Yankees game, I can't say I'm at the stadium where Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle played. Kind of ruins it historically for me.

I have never attended a game at the JLA, but will definitely plan on going before the Wings play their last game there.

Will next season be the last game at the JLA? Or is it the season after that? Anyone know?

Same here, and I agree on your other points stated above. I plan on getting to at least one game at Joe Louis Arena because of the historical significance it has, not only for the city of Detroit, but for hockey as a social activity in general.

After the Joe is demolished, I think I'll be less inclined to go to Detroit for a game. The history won't be there and the localized roots of the arena name will probably disappear and be replaced by some faceless capitalist entity's name.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Two teams play in MSG. Knicks and Rangers. Not sure where you got four or five teams from.

Because it would probably be cheaper and there would be nights during the season when the Wings would be playing. Besides, do you really want to allow Nickelback into your new, state of the art arena?

And the new York liberty, the wnba team, and i thought they had an MLs team that used to play there.

Which is where I got the four, or five teams from because I didnt know if there were more than one WNBA team or mls team.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

And the new York liberty, the wnba team, and i thought they had an MLs team that used to play there.

Which is where I got the four, or five teams from because I didnt know if there were more than one WNBA team or mls team.

Oh. How could I forget the WNBA? :rolleyes:

I've never heard of an MLS team there. I believe the MetroStars and Red Bulls always played in outdoor stadiums. The new team in NY plays at the new Yankee stadium. Would be weird to play a soccer game there, but maybe it has happened before.

Your argument does not make sense as based on your logic they should of never Tore down the Olympia due to so many greats playing there and JLA built is an insult and therefore it should of never been built players such as Yzerman and Lids hold no merit Edited by Rivalred

Your argument does not make sense as based on your logic they should of never Tore down the Olympia due to so many greats playing there and JLA built is an insult and therefore it should of never been built players such as Yzerman and Lids hold no merit

Well, that's sort of true. The Olympia stadium was a legendary stadium. The JLA is going to end up being around a long time and is legendary in its own right.

However, the way things are going, I don't see many NHL buildings being used even for that long. So I don't think we'll see it again too often. Corporate suits want arenas built more frequently now to meet with demand.

Well, that's sort of true. The Olympia stadium was a legendary stadium. The JLA is going to end up being around a long time and is legendary in its own right.

However, the way things are going, I don't see many NHL buildings being used even for that long. So I don't think we'll see it again too often. Corporate suits want arenas built more frequently now to meet with demand.

So where is your stance?

Cannot have your cake and eat it too