• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Non-Wings You've Grown to Like

Rate this topic

What non-Wings have you grown to like as time has gone by? Maybe you hated these players at first, but for whatever reason they've grown on you.

I used to hate Scott Hartnell, but he seems to have cut a lot of the antics he was once known for. I like the role he's in with Columbus. Can still produce offensively and continues to play a physical brand of hockey.

How about you guys?

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Is the criteria that we had to have hated these players first? Cuz I've always loved Kopitar.

Maybe Crosby. I used to absolutely loathe him but since he's cut the whining and entitlement issues down considerably, and continues to play at a phenomenal level I've really grown to respect him. I don't know if I "like" him, but I certainly don't hate him anymore.

Is the criteria that we had to have hated these players first? Cuz I've always loved Kopitar.

Maybe Crosby. I used to absolutely loathe him but since he's cut the whining and entitlement issues down considerably, and continues to play at a phenomenal level I've really grown to respect him. I don't know if I "like" him, but I certainly don't hate him anymore.

I think a lot of people have adopted that attitude with Crosby recently.

I used to hate Patrick Kaleta, especially in the first few years of his career. All the dirty hits, diving, and spot-picking made him impossible for me to like at the time. As time has went on, especially after he was demoted to Rochester, he seems to have gotten the message from management that they wanted the antics to stop. I watched him last year and he still hits like a truck, stirs the pot, and drops the gloves occasionally. The major difference is he doesn't seem to dive or head-butt or pull any of those antics anymore. It doesn't look like he'll be brought back by Buffalo but I'm really hoping someone picks him up.

Somebody already mentioned Crosby and Tootoo (man did he ever get a raw deal here, such a shame), so I'm going with Dion Phaneuf.

I used to think that is an attention-seeker which really couldn't be further from the truth. Currently I really feel bad for all him, the crap he is go through with the Toronto media is an embarassing:

- He can score a goal, have an assist => media: why doesn't our captain hit ?

- Delivers a big hit ==> media: Dion is taking himself out of position instead of using some stupid stat doing X to score a goal

- doesn't make himself available for interviews ==> media: Dion is the captain he should be there replying to us!

- faces the media ==> media: His replies are always so "robotic" and our captain should rather focus on improving his game instead of giving the same answers everytime

I mean how the hell do you win in such a market ? It really doesn't matter what you do you can't win if I were him, I'd tell the media to eat their shortrs and just stop giving interviews. Btw. his last name is Phaneuf so why call him Dion ? I seriously doubt he is that close with a lot of the reporters there.

Edited by frankgrimes

I've always seen Duncan Keith as a very talented turd. He was awesome for the Hawks in the most recent Cup run. I still think he's a turd, but I'd take him on the Wings in a heart beat. I always said the same of Chelios when he was a Hab and later a Hawk.

I love ovi haha he always looks like he's having a good time playing.. you can really tell he loves the sport.

Other non wings I enjoy watching off the top of my head: the Seguin/Benn combo, kopitar, stamkos, Duchene, Wayne Simmonds, jvr (I'd be a lot happier if he were on any other team), Keith, and Kane (pending the outcome of this investigation).... I'm sure there are more too.

Is it October yet?

I went the other way with Kesler. I used to really like him, but then all the rumors started about him not wanting to come to Detroit (whether true or false). so my love affair with him ended.

Not wanting to play for Detroit isn't, by itself, a reason for me to dislike a player. Obviously I'd like all the players I really like to play for my favorite team, but that's not realistic. I didn't like Kesler when he was a Canuck because that entire team was pretty despicable with their whiney, divey, cheap brand of play. But that really was the culture they promoted up there. Since that time though, I've had the opportunity to watch a lot of Kesler and the guy is a committed, two way, workhorse. Very few guys bust their ass on the ice like he does. He was the Ducks best player in the playoffs this year, playing very solidly against Toews, and generally being the on ice leader that neither Getzlaf or Perry ever will be. He was also a beast in the 2010 Olympics for team USA.

By all accounts he's a complete dickhead, and almost every other player hates his guts. But I've never minded guys like that. They usually rise to the occasion. Bob Kaser of the Griffins has compared AA to Kesler on a number of occasions based on his skillset and mentality. I truly hope he's accurate.

Not wanting to play for Detroit isn't, by itself, a reason for me to dislike a player. Obviously I'd like all the players I really like to play for my favorite team, but that's not realistic. I didn't like Kesler when he was a Canuck because that entire team was pretty despicable with their whiney, divey, cheap brand of play. But that really was the culture they promoted up there. Since that time though, I've had the opportunity to watch a lot of Kesler and the guy is a committed, two way, workhorse. Very few guys bust their ass on the ice like he does. He was the Ducks best player in the playoffs this year, playing very solidly against Toews, and generally being the on ice leader that neither Getzlaf or Perry ever will be. He was also a beast in the 2010 Olympics for team USA.

By all accounts he's a complete dickhead, and almost every other player hates his guts. But I've never minded guys like that. They usually rise to the occasion. Bob Kaser of the Griffins has compared AA to Kesler on a number of occasions based on his skillset and mentality. I truly hope he's accurate.

He's a good player with a crappy rep. The not wanting to play for his hometown team just feeds into his crabbiness. He's a player to like from afar, but I wouldst want him on my team anymore. That said if somehow Holland goes and trades for Kesler tomorrow, I'm sure I'd learn to live with him. Edited by wings87

You just like him cause he's from Michigan. Guy is a D-bag who hates on his hometown team. Can't stand guys like that.