• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Vladinator16

Abdelkader entering contract year, possible $4M extension?

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/08/09/detroit-red-wings-justin-abdelkader/31379331/

Free Press article thinks Abs could get in the $4.5 to $5 Million dollar range. Say What?

For 1 good season of 23+21? A one time 20 goal score and one time 30 plus point scorer (44) is 4 million really even close to a fair market value? Thats Gustav Nyquist money and Nyquist is a much better player than Abdelkader.

And with the prospects we have coming up (Svech, Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Pulkkinen) there's no way Abs continues to be a top 6 player in 2-3 years. Would $4 Million + really be worth it for Abs on a 3rd or 4th line role?

I love Abs as much as any Wings fan but I really hope Kenny isn't dumb enough to give Abs $4+ but with the Wings and their loyalty I unfortunately see that happening.

If Abby has another season like he did, I'd have no problem with 4 mill.. He's a hard worker and he's earned it. Whatever he ends up getting, I bet he'd get more on the open market.. not by a ton but he seems like he'd be the type of guy to take less and stay here rather than leave.

That is the market. 4-4.5 million per season is a fair deal. he does more than just score. he currently is our only F that even thinks about physical play. he is strong in his own end as well. datsyuk and Z love to play with the guy, why should any of us fans question this at all?

the bigger question in my mind is Helm. he currently makes more than Abby and also is in his walk year. Does he also get resigned and at what rate? if he worth 4 million +/- per year? I like helm but he is at his best as a 3rd line checking C. IMHO I would use him in a trade to upgrade the D.

Anything over 4 million makes him Clarkson level bust potential. If Holland actually cares about making this team a contender he lets Abs walk at a dime over 4 million.

That is the market. 4-4.5 million per season is a fair deal. he does more than just score. he currently is our only F that even thinks about physical play. he is strong in his own end as well. datsyuk and Z love to play with the guy, why should any of us fans question this at all?

the bigger question in my mind is Helm. he currently makes more than Abby and also is in his walk year. Does he also get resigned and at what rate? if he worth 4 million +/- per year? I like helm but he is at his best as a 3rd line checking C. IMHO I would use him in a trade to upgrade the D.

I agree with this as well. I think Abby is pretty irreplaceable for the Red Wings right now. They don't have another forward presently or even in the near prospect pool wave that brings what Abby does to the team. Maybe Tyler Bertuzzi if he cuts down on the stupid penalties, but even then, you are banking on a relative uncertainty to fulfill a job that we already know Abby does very well.

A year ago, I was fed up with Babs forcing Abby into the top-six. 23 goals, forechecking and doing the dirty work for skilled players speaks for itself, though. There was a noticeable difference in energy during the Tampa Bay series alone from the first two games that Abby missed and then when he returned in Game 3. The Red Wings are not a tough team to play against from a forward perspective and Abby really stirs the drink from a physical standpoint.

If it's between Abby and Helm, I'm keeping Abby. I think Sheahan's development at center has made Helm less of a valuable commodity going forward.

I agree with this as well. I think Abby is pretty irreplaceable for the Red Wings right now. They don't have another forward presently or even in the near prospect pool wave that brings what Abby does to the team. Maybe Tyler Bertuzzi if he cuts down on the stupid penalties, but even then, you are banking on a relative uncertainty to fulfill a job that we already know Abby does very well.

A year ago, I was fed up with Babs forcing Abby into the top-six. 23 goals, forechecking and doing the dirty work for skilled players speaks for itself, though. There was a noticeable difference in energy during the Tampa Bay series alone from the first two games that Abby missed and then when he returned in Game 3. The Red Wings are not a tough team to play against from a forward perspective and Abby really stirs the drink from a physical standpoint.

If it's between Abby and Helm, I'm keeping Abby. I think Sheahan's development at center has made Helm less of a valuable commodity going forward.

I don't really agree with all the Helm and Abdelkader comparisons. A lot of people are acting like we have to choose between the two and I don't think that's necessarily the case. They've always been kinda tied together since they came up together though so it's natural.

It's looking like it was Babcocks goal, and probably Blashills goal as well based on what Khan said, that Helm be turned into a winger. If that's the case then suddenly there's more room to guess who's expendable at forward.

I think the Wings will probably cut ties with Andersson, Miller, or a kid way before they ship out Helm.

I don't really agree with all the Helm and Abdelkader comparisons. A lot of people are acting like we have to choose between the two and I don't think that's necessarily the case. They've always been kinda tied together since they came up together though so it's natural.

It's looking like it was Babcocks goal, and probably Blashills goal as well based on what Khan said, that Helm be turned into a winger. If that's the case then suddenly there's more room to guess who's expendable at forward.

I think the Wings will probably cut ties with Andersson, Miller, or a kid way before they ship out Helm.

Ideally, you try to keep both Abby and Helm, but both are UFA next summer. Both are going to get raises and it may become a situation with the cap where you do have to decide between one or the other. Simply letting Andersson or Miller walk (which they should anyways) isn't going to clear much room.

I hope Helm sticks around, but in that hypothetical situation, I would rather have Abby. There isn't an Abby replacement in the system. You could pretty easily argue that Athanasiou will be Helm or probably better within the next couple years.

Edited by GoWings1905

Bingo. A lot of us DRW fans have been infatuated with the idea of the hometown discount thing for years now. When you look at some of the names around the league making 4M or more - Umberger, Burrows, Laich, Bickell, Pouliot, etc., Abdelkader at 4M doesn't look so bad. At the same time, when you look at those types of players, their game definitely begins to wear them down over time. I would be careful about the term of the deal, but as you mentioned, Abby brings a different element to this team. Generally, that's why those types of physical and/or two-way forwards make around the 4M range.

Not only Sheahan, but Larkin and Athanasiou (who you mention in your next post), as well. If I have to pick between the two, I'd also pick Abdelkader. Detroit's got speedy centermen in the prospect pool, rugged wingers... not so much.

Ideally, you try to keep both Abby and Helm, but both are UFA next summer. Both are going to get raises and it may become a situation with the cap where you do have to decide between one or the other. Simply letting Andersson or Miller walk (which they should anyways) isn't going to clear much room.

I hope Helm sticks around, but in that hypothetical situation, I would rather have Abby. There isn't an Abby replacement in the system. You could pretty easily argue that Athanasiou will be Helm or probably better within the next couple years.

Considering how much Kenny lurves his vets, I wonder if they'd keep Miller around. He's been a very serviceable fourth-line guy, and he's kept up his defensive play over the years. Andersson should already be gone, IMO. Detroit doesn't really have to force anything up front next season. One of the forwards (Larkin would be my guess) down in GR will have to really convince them to make room. Only Frk and Tvrdon have to pass through waivers for the 2016-17 season, and I doubt either forward pushes Holland to drop a guy like Miller. Totally different story on defense, with XO, Marchenko, Jensen and Sproul having to pass through waivers, though.

Edited by Jesusberg

I always tend to think regardless where the player is from who gives a s*** as long as he's good and contribute

Abdelkader is from Michigan , there's no way he's going anywhere ... Not a chance , the guy crashes the net and gets in opponents faces, he's becoming our holmstrom on the powerplay now(no one can ever be as good as homer)

Most of the players on the wings play the same style of game and he brings something to the team most of the other players don't bring

That being said when it's all said and done I could see something like a 4-5 year deal x4per .... All those kids we have coming up won't be getting big money for another 5-6 years so it won't be a problem at all to resign abs

So because he is from Michigan he automatically gets to cash in? I love Abby, he plays hard and is versatile, but I don't think he is worth 4 million unless he can string together. Few solid seasons.

Hate to see another bad contract....

I just don't get the mentally on paying someone on their future potential instead of their previous track record.

If he gets another 20-25 goal season then yes he's worth the money , who else would you rather have than abdelkader in front of the net on the ppl? Hornqvist? I'd say abs is one of the best in the league at doing what homer use to do best

The fact that he's also a michigan kid is a big thing cause I don't think he would leave his hometown especially considering this is the only team he's ever played for ... If another team offers him 500k -1 mill per more I'd say he'd stay with detroit

And all those kids we have coming up won't be getting big money for another 5 yrs

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

So because he is from Michigan he automatically gets to cash in? I love Abby, he plays hard and is versatile, but I don't think he is worth 4 million unless he can string together. Few solid seasons.

Hate to see another bad contract....

I just don't get the mentally on paying someone on their future potential instead of their previous track record.

Not because he's from Michigan, but I'm sure it factors in for management, along with the other aspects of Abby's game that were mentioned. For what he brings, 4 million is pretty much the norm. He and Kesler are comparable in several ways - scoring, hitting, some "fancy stats". Kesler's going to be making 6.8 million starting in 2016-17. Beleskey is another guy who I think is comparable to Abdelkader. He's getting 3.8M for five seasons after scoring 20+ goals once.

If Abdelkader can replicate his 2014-15 season, he's going to get around 4 million.

Not because he's from Michigan, but I'm sure it factors in for management, along with the other aspects of Abby's game that were mentioned. For what he brings, 4 million is pretty much the norm. He and Kesler are comparable in several ways - scoring, hitting, some "fancy stats". Kesler's going to be making 6.8 million starting in 2016-17. Beleskey is another guy who I think is comparable to Abdelkader. He's getting 3.8M for five seasons after scoring 20+ goals once.

If Abdelkader can replicate his 2014-15 season, he's going to get around 4 million.

I'll give you the Beleskey comparison but Abdelkader is not even close to Ryan Kesler. Kesler is an elite 2 way center who consistently puts up 20+ goals and 45+ points and in his peak was a 70+ point player (and had 13 points in 16 PO Games), Kesler has the proven track record to be worth the 6.8 he's soon to be getting. Trying to compare an elite 2 way center to a net front winger is absolutely laughable.

Abdelkaders best statistical season is on par with Keslers mediocre/average seasons. Even if Abdelkader can pull a rabbit out of his hind quarters and replicate last season (I doubt he does) I still say he is not a $4 Million player.

Years with 40 or more points:

Kesler: 6

Abdelkader: 1

50 or more points:

Kesler: 3

Abdelkader: 0

70 or more points:

Kesler: 2

Abdelkader: 0

20+ Goal Seasons:

Kesler: 7 (with a high of 41 in 10/11)

Abdelkader: 1

The only way Abdelkader and Kesler are comparable is they both use the body and are both from Michigan, other than that they aren't close to comparable. An elite consistent 40+ point 2 way center to a 1 time 40 point net front winger, yeah thats a great comparison.