• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dmbongreyst

Wings sign Maine Defenseman Dan Renouf

Rate this topic

Any signing to bolster depth is a good move in my opinion. We will likely see Ouellet, Sproul and Jensen graduate or move on (possibility Sproul or Jensen gets waived and clears, but I doubt it). But we will also add Hicketts and possibly Sarijarvi (unless he decides to go back to Finland). I like it, but I'm not sure if we should expect big things out of him. More than likely just a Nedomlel replacement...

Edited by krsmith17

He's actually having a good season. He was injured last year and is rounding into form again. Unfortunately he can't be sent down again, so he has to make the team out of camp next season to avoid waivers or a trade.

Sproul was over a point per game defenseman in the OHL, and won OHL and CHL defenseman of the year, so yeah, I would say he's been a bit of a disappointment so far. However, I still think Sproul will be a serviceable NHL defenseman, and maybe even evolve into a decent second pairing guy. He hasn't put up outstanding number in the minors by any stretch, but still respectable, and his defensive game has come a long way since he entered the league a few years ago. He's still only 23 years old, which is fairly young for a defensive prospect...

Yeah I remember watching him play in the OHL and I couldn't believe the Wings drafted him with where they usually pick. Figured I woulda heard a lot more about him by now as far as playing in the NHL goes, but he is a Wings prospect, and they get kept in the minors longer than on other teams. Would suck to lose him for nothing next year for sure

Yeah I remember watching him play in the OHL and I couldn't believe the Wings drafted him with where they usually pick. Figured I woulda heard a lot more about him by now as far as playing in the NHL goes, but he is a Wings prospect, and they get kept in the minors longer than on other teams. Would suck to lose him for nothing next year for sure

Sproul was a dumpster fire in his own zone for most of his pro career, that's what held him back more than anything

I watched Sproul play twice for the Soo Greyhounds in his final year in the OHL and labelled him a future bust then and there. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just didn't see the potential. Obviously 2 games is a horribly small sample size and I hope he can become a good offensive defenceman

Sproul gets labeled as a bad defensive player because he's an offensive defenseman. While his defensive game definitely needed work, it was far from a "dumpster fire" as so many people like to believe... Nonetheless, the defensive side of his game has improved immensely over the past few seasons, and he's rounded out his game quite nicely. Sure, he still makes gaffes from time to time, like literally every other defenseman, but they are becoming fewer and further between... Also, while his shot is probably his biggest weapon, it's far from his only tool. He's a great skater, and a pretty good passer as well. He reminds me a lot of Smith, so take that however you want. For those of you that hate Smith, you're probably not going to like Sproul any more, but those that like offensive / possession driving defensemen, Sproul is just that.

As for Renouf, from what I've gathered from reading up on him a little, he's a pretty physical defenseman and isn't afraid to use his body, or drop the gloves. He's got good mobility for a big man, and while he's more of a defensive defenseman but can put up a few points as well, with 15 points (6 goals, 9 assists) in 38 games last season with Maine.

As for Renouf, from what I've gathered from reading up on him a little, he's a pretty physical defenseman and isn't afraid to use his body, or drop the gloves. He's got good mobility for a big man, and while he's more of a defensive defenseman but can put up a few points as well, with 15 points (6 goals, 9 assists) in 38 games last season with Maine.

Love reading that finally a 200 lbs kid not afraid using his body that from all reports doesn't play like a girl

I'm a big fan of the kids, you know that, but there has to be something else about those two. They haven't seen nhl ice, not even once. Jensen sat in the pressbox for a game. I just think they aren't going to get their opportunity in Detroit.

I think if they don't upgrade at the #1 spot, they re-sign KFQ, trade Smith or E and this kid is going great given the big look to take a spot.

If you're talking about Sproul and Jensen, Sproul actually did get a look 2 years ago in the last game of the season against the Blues, and he actually looked pretty good. He played over 18 minutes, had 3 shots on goal and was credited with 2 hits and 2 blocked shots. It is shocking though that he's never gotten a look since then, and Jensen has never played a single game, especially considering how mediocre our defense has been, and that neither Ouellet or Marchenko have been THAT impressive up here...

Regarding Sproul...I don't think a draft position of 55th can really result in a bust...there really isn't much expectation when drafting at that level.

Unless he following year he becomes "OHL defenceman of the Year"

Just like Smith being a finalist for the Hobey Baker as a defenceman, it increases expectations regardless of draft position. Would we not consider Smith a bust?

Edited by WingsallTheway

No, winning defenseman of the year in the OHL doesn't change anything. He was 20 years old when he won that. Most top end prospects aren't playing in Junior anymore at that age.

And Smith, no, not a bust. Again, he was drafted very late first round, he's been an every day NHLer now for 3 years, that's about what you'd expect. There are a few busts from his draft year though.

I also have a bit of a hard time using the "bust" term as well. It is so difficult to project a player from that young of an age. I think busts are really on the scouts and people building up all the hype...they've busted, not the player. Daigle is probably considered one of the biggest busts of all time, but if you really think about it, he didn't bust that bad. There was simply too much hype behind the guy, more than there should have been. He had some decent NHL seasons. I'd probably call him a bust, but he is so known as a bust because of all the hype.

It is very rare to have a player come along that you really know will be a star in the league, I can probably count with my fingers since I've been watching.

There's a lot of girls that play good, physical hockey. Maybe you should say "doesn't play like frankgrimes."

So what ? Men shouldn't play like girls and girls shouldn't play like men that's just basic nature

Anyhow I also don't think a 55 position drafted player should be labeled a bust because the expectations aren't too high from the start. I would be happy with getting a third rounder for him