• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HoweFan

Mike McKee

Rate this topic

On 10.12.2016 at 7:55 AM, chaps80 said:

Downey played 56 games in 2008. 0 Goals 3 Assists 116 Penalty Minutes. I seem to remember his presence made other teams play a pretty clean game in a season they won the Cup.

What I do remember is that havig him in the lineup didn't stop Laperriere from elbowing Lidstrom.

What I do remember is that havig him in the lineup didn't stop Laperriere from elbowing Lidstrom.

It didn't but Downey goinf bonkers and destroying Laperierre did send a message like you can hit our players but if you go overboard someone sneaky is waiting around the corner. That would be the job of McKee other than Looch, Bourdelaus, Boll, Reaves and Chara there aren't too much guys standing a chance against this young up and coming enforcer.

9 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

It didn't but Downey goinf bonkers and destroying Laperierre did send a message like you can hit our players but if you go overboard someone sneaky is waiting around the corner. That would be the job of McKee other than Looch, Bourdelaus, Boll, Reaves and Chara there aren't too much guys standing a chance against this young up and coming enforcer.

If having an enforcer in the lineup doesn't prevent the initial hit from happening then whats the point? Having someone in the lineup just to fight after an incident is worthless if they dont stop the first incident from happening. Players that only can fight have no place in the todays NHL. Thats been proven by most in the NHL, who know more about the game than us, phasing them out. Players nowadays are more afraid of not hitting someone and drawing the coaches ire than they are any retaliation from the opposing team. Better to have that spot taken by someone who can actually play hockey and help the team win in. 

13 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Except for the fact that he can't actually play hockey at close to an NHL level.  I seriously question if he can play at an ECHL level.

6 hours ago, GoalieManPat said:

If having an enforcer in the lineup doesn't prevent the initial hit from happening then whats the point? Having someone in the lineup just to fight after an incident is worthless if they dont stop the first incident from happening. Players that only can fight have no place in the todays NHL. Thats been proven by most in the NHL, who know more about the game than us, phasing them out. Players nowadays are more afraid of not hitting someone and drawing the coaches ire than they are any retaliation from the opposing team. Better to have that spot taken by someone who can actually play hockey and help the team win in. 

Having one doesn't stop dangerous attempts on skill players anymore alot of the time, and hasn't for years, because there's an instigator rule. Just because the enforcer wants to fight, doesn't mean the offending player has to oblige him. He can skate away behind the refs and it's done. And then if the enforcer goes after him next shift, it's penalties and suspensions. Before though, if an opposing player pulled that crap, they'd get a beating then and there or the next shift regardless of if they wanted to fight or not. How many players took shots at Stevie while Probert and/or Kocur were on the team, Or Gretzky when McSorley was with him when he played for the Oilers and Kings? One of Gretzky's conditions of agreeing to the trade from EDM to LA is that McSorley go with him. He was that valuable to Gretzky. Gave him space to do what he had to do and kept the flies off him. Nowadays he'd get run all the time, because the rules protect the cheapshot artists from retalition instead of deter them. And if there is a suspension given and a star player is the offender, they get maybe one game.

A goon is worthless. You want a guy who will fight, find a guy like McCarty or don't let your coach neuter guys like Abdelkader or Smith.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Disagreed I want someone who os going to hold other players accountable and will keep them honest, that's McKee. I don't care if he scores at all i want to see him hitting everyone, sticking up for teammates and provide entertainment that's good enough for me and the role of a 4 line player

Every exec in the NHL disagrees with you that goons have a place anymore.  Even back in the day they mostly just fought each other.  How does Knuckles McPuncher fighting Punchy Cementhead keep a dirty POS from trying to take out a guy's knees?  It doesn't.  Know what might?  A guy who can actually play hockey being on the ice with said POS and driving him through the boards.  Give me McCarty or non-cokehead Probert over a guy like Twist, McGratton, or Scott any day of the week.

25 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Every exec in the NHL disagrees with you that goons have a place anymore.  Even back in the day they mostly just fought each other.  How does Knuckles McPuncher fighting Punchy Cementhead keep a dirty POS from trying to take out a guy's knees?  It doesn't.  Know what might?  A guy who can actually play hockey being on the ice with said POS and driving him through the boards.  Give me McCarty or non-cokehead Probert over a guy like Twist, McGratton, or Scott any day of the week.

Ok so where is the next Dmac, Probert? They are either signed or need to be drafted and developed in the meantime there is no harm in having someone that can police the ice.

So give the guy a chance.  Put him in Toledo.  Nobody says he has to be in Detroit right away.  If it doesn't work so be It.  Even if he was in Detroit he wont score any less than what some of our skill guys are doing this year anyways.

Agree  that there isn't the place for goons in hockey that there was before.  That said...here's a youtube link where Ft Wayne's version of Punchy the Clown attacks our goalie.  McKee is sniffing around and wants a piece of the guy but i kept at bay.  Somewhat surprised he doesn't take the little fellas stick away before jamming up his arse to turn him into a popsicle.  Big Mike will some tickets in Toledo.  We like our brawlers