• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HoweFan

Mike McKee

Rate this topic

47 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

He is too big, tough, gritty and young for Holland and company which is just a same because a fourth liner isn't there to score..sure he scores but in a much more entertaining different way and man can he throw.

Yup. McKee would be an major upgrade over Ott-a player that I like. But McKee is 6-5/255 and Ott is 6-0/200. Day and night difference. Mckee is also faster than Ott.

36 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

You realize that A ) he's really not that great of a skater compared to NHL players and B ) you need to be able to do more than hit and punch to play in the NHL, right?

Hell, expand that to AHL and the argument is still just as sound.  This guy has been playing college hockey for 4 years now and has 11 points and is -12.  Mind you, this is against college boys, not professional hockey players.  His opposition is made up of kids who are mostly going to grow up to work in marketing or accounting and play in beer leagues on the weekends if they're not too tired from all the yard work and kid raising they'll have.  And ol' Mike McKee has been unable to establish any sort of quantifiable success thus far against them.  There's no basis for him having any sort of success in the AHL where people are actually good enough to play hockey for a living, and certainly not to continue on to become one of the small fraction of successful AHL players who is able to translate into a successful NHL player.  And yet for some reason if you search his name on our forum database you'll get over four hundred hits.

On 07/11/2016 at 4:33 PM, frankgrimes said:

Too big and tough for pussyhockey that this club loves from top to bottom 

Gets drafted but never got a fair chance altough he would be exciting to watch, just enjoy his youtube clips guy is a machine on skates

I'd heard of this guy long ago, but first time i've ever watched the clips of his fights. Dude looks nuts, is nuts. Most of the fights don't get too far before the guy he's bashing hits the ice or the refs jump in for fear he's gonna kill the guy. lol 

I couldn't see him in the NHL though. Players like that just don't last anymore if they can't contribute anything besides fighting and taking stupid penalties. 

I agree he doesn't merit a contract from what he has done so far.  What if someone else signs him and he starts banging a few Wings around?  It will be tough to take.  Couldn't we try him out in the ECHL for a year?  We tried it with Nedomeil and then let him go when he couldn't prove himself worthy.  Maybe he will finish his senior year with 10 goals and it wont look like such a longshot

5 hours ago, Richdg said:

Yup. McKee would be an major upgrade over Ott-a player that I like. But McKee is 6-5/255 and Ott is 6-0/200. Day and night difference. Mckee is also faster than Ott.

I just want to make sure that I understand exactly what you are saying.

Are you saying that McKee would be better then Ott in the NHL right now December 2016? Or are you saying that in a few years, McKee would be a better option then what Ott is right now?

4 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Someone posted a supposed quote from the Wings on why they drafted him. "We wanted the biggest, meanest kid in the draft." Why though if you don't have any intentions on giving him a shot?

What do you mean? He's had a shot. He's in his 4th year of "a shot" in fact. If at some point this year he demonstrates some ability to play hockey, he might have a chance at going further. Seems unlikely though given the last 3 years. 

I agree, gives the kid a contract and let him try to prove himself and possibly make it to Detroit. Why waste yet another draft pick and let him go elsewhere? A 2-way contract to play in GR wouldn't cost more than league minimum I'm sure. He'll have his 3-4 years of waiver exemptions. At least keep this beast in the organization and we can watch him vash heads in GR for a while. 

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I agree, gives the kid a contract and let him try to prove himself and possibly make it to Detroit. Why waste yet another draft pick and let him go elsewhere? A 2-way contract to play in GR wouldn't cost more than league minimum I'm sure. He'll have his 3-4 years of waiver exemptions. At least keep this beast in the organization and we can watch him vash heads in GR for a while. 

I'd rather the Griffins win hockey games.

I agree with Frank.  You might be suprised at how well some of our skilled players would play when they know we have a legitimate, top drawer, enforcer available.  It would be nice to have no more cheap shots taken by other teams on our skill players.  Lets see how he does for the rest of the year.  If he gets 10 goals or so in his final year we have to give him a try. 

21 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Someone posted a supposed quote from the Wings on why they drafted him. "We wanted the biggest, meanest kid in the draft." Why though if you don't have any intentions on giving him a shot?

Bcause you draft a player and depending on how he develops from there, you either sign him to a contract and he plays pro or he doesn't.  You don't just give him a pro deal because he's big or you drafted him.  McKee never developed, therefore he's probably not going to get a contract.

Am I reading things right? Did someone really want this guy in over the likes of Ott? Are you kidding me? This isnt the 70's and 80's anymore. Every player on your roster needs to be able to play hockey. Not just be big and fight. Watch the kids game instead of just looking at his height and weight. He hasnt been good as a college player and would be a long shot to even make out an AHL career. I know a lot of people got excited when the Wings finally drafted a big guy but lets be sane here this is not the kid thats ever going to make the NHL. He was a late round pick that they hoped would develop into something but he hasnt. Kids getting a free education so good on him but how he comes up so much on these boards is beyond me.

6 hours ago, GoalieManPat said:

Am I reading things right? Did someone really want this guy in over the likes of Ott? Are you kidding me? This isnt the 70's and 80's anymore. Every player on your roster needs to be able to play hockey. Not just be big and fight. Watch the kids game instead of just looking at his height and weight. He hasnt been good as a college player and would be a long shot to even make out an AHL career. I know a lot of people got excited when the Wings finally drafted a big guy but lets be sane here this is not the kid thats ever going to make the NHL. He was a late round pick that they hoped would develop into something but he hasnt. Kids getting a free education so good on him but how he comes up so much on these boards is beyond me.

Yep lol, that would be Richdg. I asked for clarification, but he didn't respond 

On 12/6/2016 at 2:31 PM, GoalieManPat said:

Yes I did. Ott was decent 8 and 9 years ago. Most of his career he was a guy that scored single digit goals per year. The difference between 3 goals per year and 8 is to small to even mention. he had 2 good years with dallas, that was it.

As for Mckee yes I have seen him play on video. he has 0 offensive talent. But he is a very good checking F. he is a guy that would hurt NHL Dmen. yes he can catch them. he is not a Grimson type of a skater. Much more like Kocur was. He is also young and cheap and can be the 13th or 14th F on the team.

7 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Yes I did. Ott was decent 8 and 9 years ago. Most of his career he was a guy that scored single digit goals per year. The difference between 3 goals per year and 8 is to small to even mention. he had 2 good years with dallas, that was it.

As for Mckee yes I have seen him play on video. he has 0 offensive talent. But he is a very good checking F. he is a guy that would hurt NHL Dmen. yes he can catch them. he is not a Grimson type of a skater. Much more like Kocur was. He is also young and cheap and can be the 13th or 14th F on the team.

The kid as a senior cant get into the lineup this year and his previous 3 years haven't been anything anywhere near special. He doesn't have the talent to play in the NHL. I think he knew this when he chose to college instead of playing junior. A big part of his game is hard hitting and fighting. Fighting isnt allowed in college hockey and hitting is very tightly called so why go play their when in the end it will stunt your development other than you know you wont make the bigs and that college education will be valuable. A 36 year old Ott is twice the player McKee is right now. Hes been one of the best penalty killing forwards, the best faceoff % on the team, and his teammates love him. Add to that hes on a 1 year contract for only 800k and hes barely costing more than a rookie minimum. 

Would I love the Wings to have a guy McKees size in the lineup? Hell yes. Does that mean they should throw a guy whos game tops out at best ECHL standards into the lineup. Hell no.

I'm on the same page. I would love to have a big kid like McKee on our 4th line, that hits like a ton of bricks and is willing to drop the gloves. For me though, he would also need to be able to actually play hockey, and McKee clearly doesn't have the skill to hack it in the NHL. No way would I want a player like that on the ice in any situation.

In fairness though, McKee took the college route because he wanted to concentrate on the skill part of the game, not fighting. He knew he could fight, the Red Wings brass knew he could fight, but wanted to see if he could play. It's clear now though, that he's not there yet, and likely never will be...

My original question on this topic was if he was hurt or a healthy scratch.  Does anyone know why he has only played two games.  At any rate he has two points in two games.  He will get 10 goals and 20 points this year.  It will force us to sign him and he will be in Detroit in two years wreaking havoc.  His legend will continue to grow :lol:

1 hour ago, HoweFan said:

My original question on this topic was if he was hurt or a healthy scratch.  Does anyone know why he has only played two games.  At any rate he has two points in two games.  He will get 10 goals and 20 points this year.  It will force us to sign him and he will be in Detroit in two years wreaking havoc.  His legend will continue to grow :lol:

people are too busy watching youtube clips of when he beat up the class bully in highschool to actually follow his hockey career, so you're looking in the wrong place for answers :confused: