• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

12/4 GDT - Red Wings 4 at Islanders 3 (OT)

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think this narrative of "his message was no longer resonating, team needed a change anyway" is strange. The organization tried to retain him and lost. He broke up with us, not the other way around. I think he saw our roster going down hill quick, and an oppurtunity to jump on an up and coming team in a city that could make him legendary. And im sure the money helped that decision knowing he would have to endure a few years of losing in Toronto.

I agree for the most part. But think about this. Holland could have matched Toronto's offer if he REALLY wanted to keep Babcock. In Babcock's interview he said he had gone to Hollands house the morning of and asked if the offer in pay would increase, to which Holland said no. Weird isn't it? There's no cap on that coach salary and the Illitches are super fricking wealthy, they would have easily just thrown 6 mill at him and said "we want you back, here's a higher offer". I think both sides to some extent mutually wanted out and did it in the most professional manner possible without any hard feelings. Holland offered big money, but not enough to keep him (maybe on purpose) and Babcock asked for more money rather than staying for less (maybe because he didn't want to stay).

It's like one of those situations where if you truly love your job, you'll take the pay cut and if you truly want to keep an employee you'll offer him the salary against the competition. 

Edited by kickazz

What an awesome game! We are now 1-0 with Larkin as our new checking C! Anyone want to bet he plays the same role on Tuesday? Yet Glendening remians in the top 6.... And people think my ideas are crazy.....

8 minutes ago, Richdg said:

What an awesome game! We are now 1-0 with Larkin as our new checking C! Anyone want to bet he plays the same role on Tuesday? Yet Glendening remians in the top 6.... And people think my ideas are crazy.....

Your ideas are crazy. But so are Blashill's. Ya'll don't gotta be mutually exclusive.

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, Richdg said:

Didnt get a chance to see the game, did Larkin play on the 4th line?

I read last game thread.... was fun to see ppl asking for trashill to be fired....
I did ask for that after game 2 of october.... see.... such feeling i had back then.

Envoyé de mon SM-A310F en utilisant Tapatalk

I wanted him gone after last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, kickazz said:

I agree for the most part. But think about this. Holland could have matched Toronto's offer if he REALLY wanted to keep Babcock. In Babcock's interview he said he had gone to Hollands house the morning of and asked if the offer in pay would increase, to which Holland said no. Weird isn't it? There's no cap on that coach salary and the Illitches are super fricking wealthy, they would have easily just thrown 6 mill at him and said "we want you back, here's a higher offer". I think both sides to some extent mutually wanted out and did it in the most professional manner possible without any hard feelings. Holland offered big money, but not enough to keep him (maybe on purpose) and Babcock asked for more money rather than staying for less (maybe because he didn't want to stay).

It's like one of those situations where if you truly love your job, you'll take the pay cut and if you truly want to keep an employee you'll offer him the salary against the competition. 

Thats fair. There could be a number of reasons why we didnt go as high as Toronto. Record setting coaching contract

5 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

This is all about Babcock's ego.  He wants to be the Leafs savior.

Not sure why you say this with such disdain.

Babs comes across to me like a guy who has goals and loves a challenge. He's won a cup in Detroit and won Olympic Gold, there isn't really much left for him to accomplish. Taking a team that has been the laughing stock of the league for years, arguable the hardest team to coach because of the intense pressure of the fans and media and guiding them to a cup, that is likely a challenge that motivates him. Call it ego, fine but the guy has earned the right to do what he wants. Who are we to judge him.

If the team is doing well, and it looks as though they'll have a chance at winning then I think it's safe that players will sign in T.O.

Well if it were just for the team you might be right but I doubt players are willing to give up their privacy. Even when the Wings were the top dogs players still had their privacy that's never going to be the case in Toronto, see Stamkos.

I mean, according to Vanek the Islanders do have another Problem which is their transit and of course playing in an NBA arena in Brooklyn.