• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

01/01 GDT : Red Wings vs Maple Leafs : Centennial Classic : 3:00 PM ET

Just now, Dabura said:

Steve Ott is absolutely part of the problem. Maybe less so now than he was at the start of the season, as we're missing some key players. But the fact that Mantha didn't make the team out of camp and Ott and Miller did just speaks to a larger problem with the Wings. To which someone will say, "Yeah, but you don't want a player like Mantha playing on the fourth line." To which I say, "He never had to play on the fourth line. When healthy, this team could roll four scoring lines. (No Ott, no Miller.) But they insist on doubling down on outdated strategies. Because DEFENSE! And GRIT! And KILLING PENALTIES! And BLOCKING SHOTS! And WINNING FACEOFFS! And VETERAN LEADERSHIP! And COMPETE LEVEL! And BOY OH BOY DOES STEVE OTT GIVE IT HIS ALL. EVERY TIME HE FIGHTS YOU CAN SEE THE EFFECT IT HAS ON HIS TEAM. BOY OH BOY. GRIT. BOY OH BOY."

Okay you can chill out.  Don't need to yell. lol

I feel like Coreau played well all night. The final score doesn't tell the story of the game for me. As usual, defense left him out to dry all night. Too many defensive zone turnovers, too many odd-man rushes, and I think he handled them as well as could be expected. 4th start of his career, in that setting. Pretty impressive. The OT winner is really the only goal I put exclusively on him. This is probably slightly knee-jerk is, but the way Petr has played, Coreau is my starter going forward.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, puckloo39 said:

I meant because we would lose even more without Coreau, but yeah

Why is that? I know Mrazek hasn't been great, but alot of the goals the Coreau has allowed were D breakdowns, same with Mrazek. Goalies are supposed to make the first stop, with rebounds, your teammates should be there.

1 minute ago, puckloo39 said:

It is NBC's fault (not the kid's) but if they keep this up, I could come to hate AUSTIN MATTHEWS the same way I hate Crosby,  Mantha and Larkin are as good, but they are Wings... so...

Mantha and Larkin are as good as who? Matthews? Are you serious?  Larkin and Mantha are good players but not even in the same level as Matthews. Kid has 20 goals. Larking and Mantha don't have 20 combined.  

Just now, Hockeymom1960 said:

Well he was the #1 2016 draft pick....

Right.

I mean, I'm not big on hearing the kid's name 1000 times during a broadcast, but I understand and appreciate why it's a thing. Kid is really, really, really, really, really good -- and he's only going to get better with time. And he's the poster boy for the Leafs' resurgence.

1 minute ago, amato said:

Wow what a crazy ending! The point does feel decent after being down 4-1, not gunna lie.. but being down 4-1 at all feels terrible. We need to turn it around REAL fast if we want any chance at playoffs.. 

Fun comeback but we can't live 1 point at a time. We need to reel off a win streak.  We need to win 15 of 20 just to get back into it and it needs to start now.  

1 minute ago, puckbags said:

Mantha and Larkin are as good as who? Matthews? Are you serious?  Larkin and Mantha are good players but not even in the same level as Matthews. Kid has 20 goals. Larking and Mantha don't have 20 combined.  

You're probably right in that Matthews is a better player, but your argument is weak as Mantha has 9 goals in 22 games to Matthews 20 goals in 36 games. Had Mantha played in 36 games he would likely be closer to the 15 goal mark which is not much lower.

3 minutes ago, puckbags said:

Ahhhh he was the #1 draft pick so not surprised?  This what should be expected of a #1 draft pick.

Just now, kliq said:

You're probably right in that Matthews is a better player, but your argument is weak as Mantha has 9 goals in 22 games to Matthews 20 goals in 36 games. Had Mantha played in 36 games he would likely be closer to the 15 goal mark which is not much lower.

You can use those stats anyway you want. Mantha was great today and I hope it continues for 10 years but he's not Matthews. When Matthews is 22 he will be miles above where Mantha is right now.  

2 minutes ago, puckbags said:

Fun comeback but we can't live 1 point at a time. We need to reel off a win streak.  We need to win 15 of 20 just to get back into it and it needs to start now.  

Yeah pretty much exactly what i mean.. sucks but it definitely needs to start now. 

5 minutes ago, bringbackfontez said:

I feel like Coreau played well all night. The final score doesn't tell the story of the game for me. As usual, defense left him out to dry all night. Too many defensive zone turnovers, too many odd-man rushes, and I think he handled them as well as could be expected. 4th start of his career, in that setting. Pretty impressive. The OT winner is really the only goal I put exclusively on him. This is probably slightly knee-jerk is, but the way Petr has played, Coreau is my starter going forward.

Most of the goals any of the three goalies have allowed were from s***ty defence, not just Coreau. It's not isolated to him.

Just now, puckbags said:

You can use those stats anyway you want. Mantha was great today and I hope it continues for 10 years but he's not Matthews. When Matthews is 22 he will be miles above where Mantha is right now.  

I never said he was Mathews. What I said was that counting total goals on the season was a weak argument.

Most of the goals any of the three goalies have allowed were from s***ty defence, not just Coreau. It's not isolated to him.

I never said he's the only Detroit goaltender not receiving defensive support. But based strictly on the eye test, he's been better than Mrazek (in a small sample size of course). I just think he's done enough to earn the lion's share of starts moving forward and it'll be his job to lose