• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chaps80

Martin Hanzal?

Rate this topic

I know the Wings are not buyers this deadline, and Hanzal is an upcomng UFA, but he could be worth a look. Big, strong, has a mean streak and goes hard. Difficult guy to play against and often used to shut down other teams biggest scoring threats. More of a defensive oriented forward, but would make room for the little guys like Nyquist who can score but have problems doing it because they're so easy to push around. He's a player i've always liked and I think he'd be a huge asset to the Wings going forward. Only problem is Arizona is going to want more than he's worth (i'm hearing a first and a prospect. Crazy.), and the whole UFA thing.

If there was a guarantee he would resign in Detroit and Arizona would get more realistic with the return they want, what do you all think of Hanzal coming to Detroit? 

The issue with Hanzal is that, while he is big, he's more of a playmaker.  He's never cracked 20 goals in a season.  He's also never cracked 41 points, either.  We have too many players that fit this bill.  He's also a center, and I don't think he's a top 6 forward, but more of a third line center.  That would be great if we didn't have Helm already signed.  If we could somehow get rid of Helm and sign Hanzal, I'd be all for it.  I also don't know that this is the type of trade/signing that would make sense for a team that is going to be rebuilding.  He's 29 right now and hasn't played a full season (81 games) since the 09/10 season.  It's a hard pass, in my opinion.  You don't want to spend assets, at least not the type of assets we'd have to give up to get him.

18 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Do they need more third line players?

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

No, but do they need a player like Hanzal? Absolutely.

Like I said, there would be hurdles to jump for him to come here, and it might not be realistic right at this time, but it's more realistic than most other names i've seen thrown aorund here lately.

16 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

Hes so hot right now

OK? Lol

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

The issue with Hanzal is that, while he is big, he's more of a playmaker.  He's never cracked 20 goals in a season.  He's also never cracked 41 points, either.  We have too many players that fit this bill.  He's also a center, and I don't think he's a top 6 forward, but more of a third line center.  That would be great if we didn't have Helm already signed.  If we could somehow get rid of Helm and sign Hanzal, I'd be all for it.  I also don't know that this is the type of trade/signing that would make sense for a team that is going to be rebuilding.  He's 29 right now and hasn't played a full season (81 games) since the 09/10 season.  It's a hard pass, in my opinion.  You don't want to spend assets, at least not the type of assets we'd have to give up to get him.

Solid response. Nice.

He's not a player who is going to get you a lot of points, but he makes up for it in other areas. Defensive ability being one. The Wings can kinda use that. And yeah, he gets injured now and then due to the kind of game he plays. He's like Abdelkader, just better. His contract and Helm's look so bad when you see what other players are out there in the same salary range.. 

I'm not exactly sure what Arizona is asking, but rumours indicate it's way too much. No team will give a first for him, much less a prospect on top. And I do agree the Wings aren't in the market to be buyers at the deadline. Maybe wait until he hits free agency (if he does) then try to sign him, but only if one of the big dead weight contracts go out. 

The issue isn't that the Wings don't have players who can defend, it's the system that's the issue.  It doesn't matter how good you are defensively, if all you do is defend, because your coach doesn't understand that you need to score to win, you're going to give up a lot of goals to good offensive teams.  A guy like Hanzal is the last thing they need.

1 hour ago, Wingnut1989 said:

Brian Boyle upcoming UFA as well, Id take him.

Id take hanzel as well, boy talk about increasing our size up the middle.

It really is something the Wings need. Big players who can skate and contribute offensively and defensively that aren't afraid to use their size, stick up for teammates, and get into the odd fight. I'm not talking mindless zombie enforcers that would get outskated by Timbits league kids. They've been pushed around for years, and management is obviously aware of the issue, but won't do anything. No reason to expect that to change I guess.

5 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

It really is something the Wings need. Big players who can skate and contribute offensively and defensively that aren't afraid to use their size, stick up for teammates, and get into the odd fight. I'm not talking mindless zombie enforcers that would get outskated by Timbits league kids. They've been pushed around for years, and management is obviously aware of the issue, but won't do anything. No reason to expect that to change I guess.

The Wings don't need anymore 30+ year old players chaps. Hanzel and Boyle will be looking for long term contracts. You want them here till they're 38 along with Zetterberg, Nielsen and Kronwall? Shall we get all 5 a big cake when they retire one after the other and take spots from younger players in Grand Rapids? 

Both players are going to be regressing soon enough. 

Edited by kickazz

7 minutes ago, kickazz said:

The Wings don't need anymore 30+ year old players chaps. Hanzel and Boyle will be looking for long term contracts. You want them here till they're 38 along with Zetterberg, Nielsen and Kronwall? Shall we get all 5 a big cake when they retire one after the other and take spots from younger players in Grand Rapids? 

Both players are going to be regressing soon enough. 

I agree. Wouldn't want them long term. There's enough long term deals already, most of em horrible. Would be nice for a couple seasons though to help the rebuild get off the ground.

I don't think we need yet another 29, aka going on 30+ "2nd" line center. Holland would give a 5-6 year deal 5.25+ a year deal, Easy. I wouldn't doubt it for one sec.

Edited by xault

5 years ago, I wanted Hanzel on this team, now, not so much. Hanzel is a very good hockey player, but not at all what a rebuilding team should be looking for, especially as a deadline acquisition. I'd consider acquiring him in the offseason, if we didn't already have a ton of vets signed long-term. We really need to start getting younger, and Hanzel doesn't help in that regard. Hard pass for me as well.