• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

26 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Hyman re-signs with Toronto. $2.25M per season. 

It's so nice to see 30 other teams having better rosters than ours. We have to hold on to garbage like Ericsson, Helm, Nyquist, Howard. If we can rid ourselves of that overpaid bunch of crap, we could actually look to make a splash and get better. But instead, we're going to have the highest payroll again and have the worst team...sorry, I'm just suck of this. The ******* streak is over, fire sale this *****!

1s5bs3.jpg

Less can be more exciting...dont know about you, but last season wasn't so exciting, and thus far, off season has been underwhelming. Guarantee Holland is off golfing somewhere. He screwed the pooch on expansion draft and day 1 of draft and will not trade away any assets to clear cap in order to reload correctly. We should be down at least $15M in cap right now. But no, we're at $2M and no room to even try to better this team,  because he won't trade picks or "loyal" players. Ericsson, Helm, Nyquist, Howard, Glendening, Abby...theyre all replaceable within the system now...

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Less can be more exciting...dont know about you, but last season wasn't so exciting, and thus far, off season has been underwhelming. Guarantee Holland is off golfing somewhere. He screwed the pooch on expansion draft and day 1 of draft and will not trade away any assets to clear cap in order to reload correctly. We should be down at least $15M in cap right now. But no, we're at $2M and no room to even try to better this team,  because he won't trade picks or "loyal" players. Ericsson, Helm, Nyquist, Howard, Glendening, Abby...theyre all replaceable within the system now...

How so?

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

How so?

I just think he should've made a deal to lose a larger salary. I didn't like how he said he won't be making any deals.

13 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I just think he should've made a deal to lose a larger salary. I didn't like how he said he won't be making any deals.

Those deals usually cost assets.  Unless there's a reason to spend more money there's no reason to spend assets.

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Hyman re-signs with Toronto. $2.25M per season. 

It's so nice to see 30 other teams having better rosters than ours. We have to hold on to garbage like Ericsson, Helm, Nyquist, Howard. If we can rid ourselves of that overpaid bunch of crap, we could actually look to make a splash and get better. But instead, we're going to have the highest payroll again and have the worst team...sorry, I'm just suck of this. The ******* streak is over, fire sale this *****!

This is a bit much.  The streak being over doesn't mean its time for a fire sale.  Also, the value of these players you listed is pretty low right now and selling low and buying FAs while their value is high is a sure way to continue to have cap problems.  The truth is I bet we'd get much better performances out of guys like Helm, Nyquist and Abdelkader if they weren't playing in their own end most of the game because the defensemen can't get the puck out of the zone.  This team, for as long as I can remember, have lived and died by its defensemen.  We don't have good defensemen right now and its affecting the team as a whole.  Its like the Wings forwards are this fancy Corvette, but its missing a steering wheel.  You wouldn't scrap the whole car because of that.  Just get what you need to make it complete.

Looks like we're still in the running for Vanek.  I'd love to have him back.  He played really well with us and if our season goes south again, we can always trade him again.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/07/12/detroit-red-wings-thomas-vanek/471942001/

13 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Looks like we're still in the running for Vanek.  I'd love to have him back.  He played really well with us and if our season goes south again, we can always trade him again.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/07/12/detroit-red-wings-thomas-vanek/471942001/

I just don't see how it's possible with the limited cap space, and Tatar and Athanasiou still to be signed. The only way it's doable is if Holland manages to make a trade, and that's not going to happen...

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I just don't see how it's possible with the limited cap space, and Tatar and Athanasiou still to be signed. The only way it's doable is if Holland manages to make a trade, and that's not going to happen...

You're right, we don't have very much cap space, so I'm not sure financially how he would do this either, but the fact that we're talking to him means that Holland has to have some kind of plan.

21 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

You're right, we don't have very much cap space, so I'm not sure financially how he would do this either, but the fact that we're talking to him means that Holland has to have some kind of plan.

Does he really though? If that plan is to spend above the cap and worry about it after training camp again, I'm not sure if that's the best plan...

I'd welcome Vanek back if we could trade one of Tatar or Nyquist for a top pair defenseman... Hell, I'd even go that route if we could trade one for a high end prospect and / or a pick.

Sign Vanek and trade Tatar / Nyquist in a package for a Trouba / Dumba type, or for a prospect like Montour / Sanheim / Bean / Fabbro / McLeod / Gauthier... Get it done Kenny!

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

1 hour ago, xtrememachine1 said:

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I figure Vanek is a contingency plan, re: the Tatar situation.

I think we have cap space to sign all of AA, Tatar and Vanek.

We have $10.6 million.

Assume $5 million for Tatar.

$5.5 mill left.

$2.6 mill for AA and $3 million for Vanek. Or however you want to divide it.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

Take a look at the deadline cap space. I think it's how much we're allowed to spend (every team is allowed upto 10% of the salary cap which is upto $82.5 million this year) 

Edited by kickazz

41 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I think we have cap space to sign all of AA, Tatar and Vanek.

We have $10.6 million.

Assume $5 million for Tatar.

$5.5 mill left.

$2.6 mill for AA and $3 million for Vanek. Or however you want to divide it.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

Take a look at the deadline cap space. I think it's how much we're allowed to spend (every team is allowed upto 10% of the salary cap which is upto $82.5 million this year) 

I don't think that's right... We have $2,278,788 in cap space remaining, plus the $3,954,545 once we LTIR Franzen, which is $6,233,333 to sign Tatar and Athanasiou. Tatar will likely get around $5M, which only leaves around $1-1.25M to sign Athanasiou. I think AA will likely get more than that, which may lead to another move needing to be made to be cap compliant. Whether that's trading a player, waiving a player or LTIRing another player...

52 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think that's right... We have $2,278,788 in cap space remaining, plus the $3,954,545 once we LTIR Franzen, which is $6,233,333 to sign Tatar and Athanasiou. Tatar will likely get around $5M, which only leaves around $1-1.25M to sign Athanasiou. I think AA will likely get more than that, which may lead to another move needing to be made to be cap compliant. Whether that's trading a player, waiving a player or LTIRing another player...

Teams are allowed to spend over 10% of the cap limit so if the cap limit is $75 million, they can go upto $82.5 to start the season.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/6/26/15871080/detroit-red-wings-cap-space-roster-spots-recapture-penalties-and-buyouts-for-june-2017-luongo-rule

"Also, prior to the season opening, all teams have an extra 10% cushion in which they can exceed the cap. While this means they could go up to $82.5, as long as their cap number stays below $79M, they’re right on track. 

If you want to be super-specific, say that the Red Wings have $11,857,500 in cap space. If you want to discuss it, just say they have a hair under $12 million."

32 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Teams are allowed to spend over 10% of the cap limit so if the cap limit is $75 million, they can go upto $82.5 to start the season.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/6/26/15871080/detroit-red-wings-cap-space-roster-spots-recapture-penalties-and-buyouts-for-june-2017-luongo-rule

"Also, prior to the season opening, all teams have an extra 10% cushion in which they can exceed the cap. While this means they could go up to $82.5, as long as their cap number stays below $79M, they’re right on track. 

If you want to be super-specific, say that the Red Wings have $11,857,500 in cap space. If you want to discuss it, just say they have a hair under $12 million."

I was under the impression that a team can go up to 10% over the cap in the offseason, through training camp, but had to be cap compliant (under the $75M ceiling) the day before the season opener... A team can not surpass the ceiling at any point during the season, until after the trade deadline. Teams are permitted to go a certain amount (10%?) over with IR and / or bonuses (which would then carry over to the following season's cap)...

Can someone with a better understanding clarify this...

Forgive my ignorance, but with Tatar being scheduled for arbitration - I honestly doubt he'll get anywhere near the talked about $5 million when considering his previous cap hit was $2.75 million, and to top it off his 2016/2017 was nothing to write home about.

In other news - LCA signs a deal with Coca-Cola as a Landmark Partner...https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/coca-cola-signs-on-as-landmark-partner-at-little-caesars-arena/c-290383200

At least Coca-Cola is a quality product - unlike that pi$$water Labatt.

I'm on board with bringing Vanek back in on a one-year deal. Question is, who loses a roster spot in that situation? 

Zetterberg-Nielsen-Mantha

Tatar-Athanasiou-Nyquist

Svechnikov(?)-Larkin-Vanek

Abdelkader-Glendening-Witkowski

Helm/Sheahan/Bertuzzi

I like the looks of this, but it's pretty clear that a move is going to have to be made if Vanek is to be brought back. With the Panthers having lost Marchessault, Jagr, and Reilly Smith this offseason, you'd think they are looking around for forwards. Sheahan seemed to garner some interest at the deadline last year, so maybe Florida would be interested as a potential boost to the PK and based on the fact that he's still young. They seem to have some players in their AHL pipeline, but it's unclear to me whether they feel that those prospects are NHL-ready right now. 

6 minutes ago, Bring Back The Bruise Bros said:

I'm on board with bringing Vanek back in on a one-year deal. Question is, who loses a roster spot in that situation? 

Zetterberg-Nielsen-Mantha

Tatar-Athanasiou-Nyquist

Svechnikov(?)-Larkin-Vanek

Abdelkader-Glendening-Witkowski

Helm/Sheahan/Bertuzzi

I like the looks of this, but it's pretty clear that a move is going to have to be made if Vanek is to be brought back. With the Panthers having lost Marchessault, Jagr, and Reilly Smith this offseason, you'd think they are looking around for forwards. Sheahan seemed to garner some interest at the deadline last year, so maybe Florida would be interested as a potential boost to the PK and based on the fact that he's still young. They seem to have some players in their AHL pipeline, but it's unclear to me whether they feel that those prospects are NHL-ready right now. 

Maybe I'm looking at this group of forwards with rose covered glasses, but this is an impressive lineup especially considering most of them are young guys on the upswing.  Fix that D and we're in the playoffs.  Easier said than done, I know.