Rumors Thread

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, kliq said:

Does Hanifin have an injury history? 

He's played 3 full seasons with the Hurricanes to start his NHL career:

15/16: 79 games, 4 goals, 18 assists, 22 PIM, -14

16/17: 81 games, 4 goals, 25 assists, 26 PIM, -19

17/18: 79 games, 10 goals, 22 assists, 21 PIM, -20

A dynamic two-way defenseman who has no holes in his game. An exceptionally strong skater who isn't afraid to take the puck himself and move it up-ice. The confidence that he has in his abilities lets him thrive under heightened competitive levels. The skilled defenseman's undeniably high level of hockey sense is showcased whenever he touches the puck in the offensive zone. Defensively, he is aggressive, constantly pushing for puck possession and a quick transition to offense, but at the same time steadfast, reliable, and patient. He is poised beyond his years and mature in his decision making. All-in-all, Noah Hanifin is the ideal all-around defenseman who leaves no area of his game untended. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

18 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

“I believe that the Canucks have shown interest in Hanifin, and I believe that whatever they’ve talked about the Hurricanes haven’t discounted it. Look, I know this is going to go bananas. I’m just going to say this is my guess. My guess is it involves the seventh overall pick, but I don’t know that for sure.”

“If I knew what I know about Noah Hanifin and I believe he’s going to play for a long time – and I believe he will, barring injuries – I think that if that is what Vancouver is going to have to give up, I would be seriously considering it.”

“If you’re talking about a guy who says, ‘No, I want a two-year bridge deal,’ I don’t know if I’m gambling the No. 7 pick on that,” said Friedman. “But if you have a guy here that’s willing to take term, I’ll tell you this – I’m probably doing it.”  

Faulk, who is also likely garnering a fair bit of trade interest, has two seasons left on his pact with a cap hit a shade over $4.83 million. The defenseman has no trade protection written into his deal.

You know what's better than 7th overall for Hanifin? 6th overall.

AA or Svech plus a 2nd for Faulk.

Thx for the quotage. I was gonna pull some select quotes, but there's a lot of good stuff there and it would've been hard to narrow it down to just a few. Plus, I'm lazy.

This interests me as a Wings fan because the Wings and Canucks are basically in the same position now re: their respective rebuilds and needs, and the Lottery Gods basically gave them equal treatment this time around. 6th and 7th overall are good spots to be picking, but -- and Friedman touches on this a bit -- I guess you could make the case that the odds of a 6th or 7th overall selection becoming the kind of player the Wings and Canucks desperately need aren't actually all that great. Maybe it makes sense to swap Hughes/Boqvist/Bouchard/Dobson for a more proven talent. Two years from now, those four prospects will be breaking into the NHL (assuming they make it there at all), and it'll be another few years before they really get their feet underneath them. Hanifin already has three years of NHL experience and he's shown improvement each season and could be right on the verge of really breaking out.

If we're really keen on Kotkaniemi, maybe we could use one or two of those pieces in your Faulk proposal to instead help us move up from 30th/31st and grab him.

22 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

So, if they'd be interested in the 7th from Vancouver, would you step up and offer them the 6th for Hanifin? Or would you try and get Faulk with a couple of player assets?

How about BOTH trades?

#6, #36, Svech for Faulk and Hanifin?

Yes. If all it took to get Hanifin is #6 overall, I would definitely do it. He is the exact type of defenseman that I would hope any of Dobson/Bouchard/Hughes/Boqvist turns out to be. Plus he's only 21 so it's not like he's that much older than any of those guys either. If the offer from Carolina was Hanifin for #6 overall straight up, I do it. But, I think Carolina would want more in return. After all, why would they give up a sure thing for a kid who MAY turn out to be better Hanifin, but may not. 

That wouldn't be enough to get both. Throw in 30th or AA, and that might do it. And yes, I would do that. #6 + #30 +  Svech or AA  for both Hanifin + Faulk  + pick  #104

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

Thx for the quotage. I was gonna pull some select quotes, but there's a lot of good stuff there and it would've been hard to narrow it down to just a few. Plus, I'm lazy.

This interests me as a Wings fan because the Wings and Canucks are basically in the same position now re: their respective rebuilds and needs, and the Lottery Gods basically gave them equal treatment this time around. 6th and 7th overall are good spots to be picking, but -- and Friedman touches on this a bit -- I guess you could make the case that the odds of a 6th or 7th overall selection becoming the kind of player the Wings and Canucks desperately need aren't actually all that great. Maybe it makes sense to swap Hughes/Boqvist/Bouchard/Dobson for a more proven talent. Two years from now, those four prospects will be breaking into the NHL (assuming they make it there at all), and it'll be another few years before they really get their feet underneath them. Hanifin already has three years of NHL experience and he's shown improvement each season and could be right on the verge of really breaking out.

If we're really keen on Kotkaniemi, maybe we could use one or two of those pieces in your Faulk proposal to instead help us move up from 30th/31st and grab him.

Yes, exactly.

I don't want him.

14 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yes, exactly.

I don't want him.

Right, I'd rather they go for a winger at that rate. Kotkaniemi is good, but I feel he's just another player to logjam the 2C position. Larkin could develop into a solid 1C and Rasmussen has that potential as well, so between those 2, you should have your 1C and 2C players. Turgeon, if healthy is your future 4C. That leaves 3C which goes to Nielsen for a few more years.

Exactly, unless it's Jack Hughes next season, we don't need to draft a center this high in the draft this year. Don't waste a high pick on a player you don't need!

If Holland does, it's SOP and this team is f***ed.

Larkin and Ras are going to be your top 2C's...remember the reason we drafted Ras over a pure sniper last draft? Because we needed a center. If we go O again this draft, we cannot pass on a pure sniper again just to add more to the log jam of middling centers.

27 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Exactly, unless it's Jack Hughes next season, we don't need to draft a center this high in the draft this year. Don't waste a high pick on a player you don't need!

If Holland does, it's SOP and this team is f***ed.

Larkin and Ras are going to be your top 2C's...remember the reason we drafted Ras over a pure sniper last draft? Because we needed a center. If we go O again this draft, we cannot pass on a pure sniper again just to add more to the log jam of middling centers.

There is only one forward I'd like to take with that first pick and that's Wahlstrom... any other forward scenario would be if we traded up to 2 or 3 and grabbed Svech or Zadina. Otherwise, you have to go with the best D available (Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist).

You hope you have:

1C - Larkin
2C - Rasmussen
3C - Nielsen (for now)
        This could eventually go to Turgeon          or Holmstrom or a player we draft            with this years late first or early                second rounders
4C - Glendening or Turgeon (if he can get healthy)

Edited by SwedeLundin77

f*** need. 

This is a full rebuild. You go BPA. Always. 

If they think the Finn is that guy, then go to it. If it’s Wallstrom. Giddy up too. 

People can try and make this yet another Holland thing but It’s all about Wright and his staff.  I like their last 4 drafts and this year will be no different. 

I still think they take Hughes or Dobson.

2 hours ago, amato said:

Sign then trade to us though, right? please?? :P 

I have always wanted them to trade for OEL... I hesitate now when thinking about it. He'll be 27 this summer and we may not be back in the playoff picture for 2-3 more years (minimum). Then you're talking about a 30-year-old OEL when we are just starting to turn the corner but still probably being bounced in the first or second rounds... I just wonder if we need to skew younger at this point (with bringing in outside defense). I would be aiming to trade for someone like Trouba (24 and an RFA) or Hanafin (21 and an RFA). Both will cost less in the immediate future, as well.

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I have always wanted them to trade for OEL... I hesitate now when thinking about it. He'll be 27 this summer and we may not be back in the playoff picture for 2-3 more years (minimum). Then you're talking about a 30-year-old OEL when we are just starting to turn the corner but still probably being bounced in the first or second rounds... I just wonder if we need to skew younger at this point (with bringing in outside defense). I would be aiming to trade for someone like Trouba (24 and an RFA) or Hanafin (21 and an RFA). Both will cost less in the immediate future, as well.

I agree for sure. We should definitely be looking at trading for defenseman as young as possible.. although most will probably (and understandably) cost too much. 

I’m mostly joking with the trade part, but 8.25 per year for OEL would be a great deal was my main point. Doubt he signs it though. 

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Funny fact is, that the same could be said about Arizona. They will sign him for 8.25per and he will be 30+ once they (if / maybe) make p-o (and no, I don´t trust them). This is why I believe Sens should trade EK. I do get why to keep such a player, but in the other hand, Arizona can point on random A++ player in the league and ask to bundle him with another A grade prospect plus 1st round. Win win, they will get their reward in 4-5 years when they will be in real(!) mix and contender could get top D in his best. 

At least this is what makes sense for me. 

8 hours ago, amato said:

I agree for sure. We should definitely be looking at trading for defenseman as young as possible.. although most will probably (and understandably) cost too much. 

I’m mostly joking with the trade part, but 8.25 per year for OEL would be a great deal was my main point. Doubt he signs it though. 

Only Subban (9.0 mil) would have a bigger cap hit than OEL if he signed that contract. Keep in mind that  8 x 8.25 = 66 million dollars over the life of the contract. Any other team can only sign him to 7 years max, so they would have to pay him almost 9.5 per to match Arizona's offer. That would make OEL's cap hit the highest among all NHL dmen. I don't know that anyone would offer that much. He may sign somewhere else, but his total salary would be less than the Coyotes' offer if he did. So it kind of depends on what's more important to him.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

31 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Only Subban (9.0 mil) would have a bigger cap hit than OEL if he signed that contract. Keep in mind that  8 x 8.25 = 66 million dollars over the life of the contract. Any other team can only sign him to 7 years max, so they would have to pay him almost 9.5 per to match Arizona's offer. That would make OEL's cap hit the highest among all NHL dmen. I don't know that anyone would offer that much. He may sign somewhere else, but his total salary would be less than the Coyotes' offer if he did. So it kind of depends on what's more important to him.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

Yeah fair point. My “doubt he signs it” remark was more about the coyotes than the dollar amount though.. I guess I can’t assume to know what his mindset is. But, if it were me, I’d rather make less to play with a contender.

Also, with the way free agents are bid on, it wouldn’t surpise me at all if he got 9.5/7 if he hit free agency. But I think he’ll either sign in Arizona or get traded right before free agency opens to where ever he’ll sign. 

5 minutes ago, amato said:

Yeah fair point. My “doubt he signs it” remark was more about the coyotes than the dollar amount though.. I guess I can’t assume to know what his mindset is. But, if it were me, I’d rather make less to play for anyone else.

Also, with the way free agents are bid on, it wouldn’t surpise me at all if he got 9.5/7 if he hit free agency. But I think he’ll either sign in Arizona or get traded right before free agency opens to where ever he’ll sign. 

Fixed it for ya.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not really a rumor anymore, but Lou relieved Snow and Weight of their duties today, and took control as Islanders GM.

Image result for shocked GIF

Shocker...

So much for fleecing Snow (pun intended) and acquiring 11th or 12th.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

https://theathletic.com/381059/2018/06/05/nhl-trade-big-board-20-players-who-could-be-on-the-move-this-summer/

16. Andreas Athanasiou, Detroit Red Wings – Athanasiou’s name in trade rumors is nothing new, and the Red Wings aren’t necessarily highly motivated to make a move here. But both sides – the Athanasiou camp and the Red Wings management – aren’t against a deal. There also still seems to be some strain between Athanasiou and the coaching staff.

Athanasiou is arbitration eligible this summer so he’s going to get a raise from the nearly $1.4 million he held out for last offseason. With young forwards Dylan Larkin and Anthony Mantha also in line for significant salary increases, Detroit may prefer to let another team do Athanasiou’s next deal. And he has a weapon that opposing teams find attractive.

“Love the speed,” said one GM. “Worry a bit about the production.”

19. Nick Jensen, Red Wings – The Red Wings are actively shopping defenseman Xavier Ouellet, who has one year remaining on a contract worth $1.25 million. “He wants a fresh start,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said last week at the draft combine. That’s not necessarily an easy assignment since Ouellet had trouble cracking the lineup on a Detroit team that wasn’t particularly good.

Trading Jensen would be much easier and there’s definitely interest. He’s a 27-year-old right-shot defenseman who slots into any team’s bottom pair for under $1 million. That’s attractive to both a budget team and teams up against the cap.

The problem is, one source outside Detroit suggested that the Red Wings weren’t too eager to make the move yet. There’s uncertainty as to whether Mike Green is coming back and who the Red Wings will get at the top of the draft. The preference for Detroit would be to wait until training camp to see how things all shake out, but by then, interested teams might have moved on.

46 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

https://theathletic.com/381059/2018/06/05/nhl-trade-big-board-20-players-who-could-be-on-the-move-this-summer/

16. Andreas Athanasiou, Detroit Red Wings – Athanasiou’s name in trade rumors is nothing new, and the Red Wings aren’t necessarily highly motivated to make a move here. But both sides – the Athanasiou camp and the Red Wings management – aren’t against a deal. There also still seems to be some strain between Athanasiou and the coaching staff.

Athanasiou is arbitration eligible this summer so he’s going to get a raise from the nearly $1.4 million he held out for last offseason. With young forwards Dylan Larkin and Anthony Mantha also in line for significant salary increases, Detroit may prefer to let another team do Athanasiou’s next deal. And he has a weapon that opposing teams find attractive.

“Love the speed,” said one GM. “Worry a bit about the production.”

19. Nick Jensen, Red Wings – The Red Wings are actively shopping defenseman Xavier Ouellet, who has one year remaining on a contract worth $1.25 million. “He wants a fresh start,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said last week at the draft combine. That’s not necessarily an easy assignment since Ouellet had trouble cracking the lineup on a Detroit team that wasn’t particularly good.

Trading Jensen would be much easier and there’s definitely interest. He’s a 27-year-old right-shot defenseman who slots into any team’s bottom pair for under $1 million. That’s attractive to both a budget team and teams up against the cap.

The problem is, one source outside Detroit suggested that the Red Wings weren’t too eager to make the move yet. There’s uncertainty as to whether Mike Green is coming back and who the Red Wings will get at the top of the draft. The preference for Detroit would be to wait until training camp to see how things all shake out, but by then, interested teams might have moved on.

I'm done with Athanasiou, there's no reason to put up with strain and friction from a player when the team is bad. If he doesn't have the personality we want to build around, trade him for someone who does.

Both Ouellet and Jensen should be moved before or at the deadline this coming season, barring a huge uptick in the teams performance of course.

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm done with Athanasiou, there's no reason to put up with strain and friction from a player when the team is bad. If he doesn't have the personality we want to build around, trade him for someone who does.

Both Ouellet and Jensen should be moved before or at the deadline this coming season, barring a huge uptick in the teams performance of course.

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily "done" with Athanasiou, but I'd definitely be shopping him (which I think they are). If there's a decent enough return, I'd move him. I wouldn't want to sell low on him though.

Ouellet should be traded before the draft for a late round pick. If there's no takers, waive him before the season starts.

I'd rather keep Jensen as a low cost, bottom pairing defenseman. Possibly shop him at the deadline.

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily "done" with Athanasiou, but I'd definitely be shopping him (which I think they are). If there's a decent enough return, I'd move him. I wouldn't want to sell low on him though.

Ouellet should be traded before the draft for a late round pick. If there's no takers, waive him before the season starts.

I'd rather keep Jensen as a low cost, bottom pairing defenseman. Possibly shop him at the deadline.

Athanasiou's got Mrazek syndrome

Jensen's a righty, so I can see why the teams trying to offload him, don't need any of those

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Right. I like Jensen and with a good defensive core, he's a solid 5/6 guy, especially for his cap hit. What they NEED to NOT do is re-sign Green and leave a spot open for Hicketts, Hronek, Cholowski, Sulak, or possibly our #6 pick to compete for. Ouellet will be gone, one way or another. One of those guys will be called up because you know one of Kronwall, Ericsson, or Daley will get hurt at the very least. I like the idea of having Sulak in the lineup as a true shutdown D, since we don't have one right now, although I'm not entirely sure how effective he will be at the NHL level. They need to package Athanasiou for a young D-man, if possible. I'm not worried if he stays, but I think a lot will depend upon who we draft.

I understand trading Ouellet because they decided, for one reason or another, to crap on developing him anymore or giving him a true opportunity. Jensen on the block makes sense but when your D is mostly closing in on the mid-30s age range, it'd be nice to keep the players under 30.

Edited by SwedeLundin77