• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DickieDunn

Trash removal delayed 2 years

Rate this topic

On 3/31/2019 at 9:33 AM, AtlantaHotWings said:

Off the mlive articlel https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/03/red-wings-to-extend-coach-jeff-blashill-for-two-seasons.html

"Blashill, 45, is expected to be named head coach of the U.S. World Championship team for the third year in a row on April 8, two days after the Red Wings wrap up their season."

If he is a s*** coach then why has he been picked to be the head coach of the US team the last 3 years? No one better they don't care to win?

I am looking at this way he never coached at this level he has made mistakes, roster is still  crap. Could be a situation where the roster gets younger and more talented and Blash's decisions get better and better. Kind of a growing together time. 

They promoted a complete dumbass to supervisor at my job because nobody else wanted the job, even though there were probably 12 people more qualified

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

As a mentally disabled person this image offends me.

Take it down.

0*8vlpm5jFDXmMJzWe.jpg

Just now, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I think that a 2 yr extension is telling. Does this mean that management expects this team to be a player by then? Then they're bringing in a big gun to coach the team?

I'm not reading too much into it, personally. A two-year deal doesn't necessarily mean he'll be here for the full two years (or even one year, for that matter). Though, realistically, things would have to go pretty sideways for him to get the boot before his contract expires.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm looking at it as a wait-and-see thing.

2 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

I don't mind.  I used to get pissed but mind you look at the roster he has.

If it was just a talent level issue I wouldn't be mad.  This team isn't great, but there have been too many games this year where they were thoroughly outworked, and his habit of benching a young player for a small mistake while letting a vet make the same error multiple times without missing a shift in infuriating.

16 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

If it was just a talent level issue I wouldn't be mad.  This team isn't great, but there have been too many games this year where they were thoroughly outworked, and his habit of benching a young player for a small mistake while letting a vet make the same error multiple times without missing a shift in infuriating.

You cant sit everyone. At least the kids can still learn from theirs.

I will attempt to be calm and rational, but I'm not sure that has ever worked for me before.

Blashill may be great at developing the kids. That is certainly worth something and he may be above average in this. I would argue he is below average in managing veterans. Why? I have no idea, but perhaps his tough love benching and calling out the kids could be used on our consistency underperforming vets. Even the ones we gripe about the most could use an occasional kick in the a$$. Blashill is also below average in managing a game, lines, strategy... If only there were a way to have him just focus on development of younger kids, as some kind of assistant, and leave coaching to someone else, but we are way past that now.

Meanwhile, as frustrated as I have been, I am actually happy to see so many of our younger guys playing so well now. Will that be remembered next fall or during contract negotiations this summer? I will pray to any and all Gods that it is.

Edited by rwing

On 4/2/2019 at 9:51 PM, DickieDunn said:

and his habit of benching a young player for a small mistake while letting a vet make the same error multiple times without missing a shift in infuriating.

Fans of every team voice the same complaint about their coach. It says more about the fans than it does about the coaches.

Developing a kid means finding ways to get them to grow and develop. The carrot-and-stick routine is one tactic, and it's been around for a very long time.

17 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Fans of every team voice the same complaint about their coach. It says more about the fans than it does about the coaches.

Developing a kid means finding ways to get them to grow and develop. The carrot-and-stick routine is one tactic, and it's been around for a very long time.

I agree that a lot of coaches do it, but I guess that just means I disagree with a lot of coaches...

A s***ty veteran should not be immune to being sat / scratched, just because they've been around forever. To me, that tells the young guys, that once you've got that big contract, you can sit back and be complacent... In my opinion, if you're going to sit a young player for a boneheaded turnover, you need to sit a veteran for a boneheaded turnover...

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree that a lot of coaches do it, but I guess that just means I disagree with a lot of coaches...

A s***ty veteran should not be immune to being sat / scratched, just because they've been around forever. To me, that tells the young guys, that once you've got that big contract, you can sit back and be complacent... In my opinion, if you're going to sit a young player for a boneheaded turnover, you need to sit a veteran for a boneheaded turnover...

I think we as fans tend to do a lot of projecting and assuming when it comes to how the players themselves actually feel about stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if the average young player, on seeing an older player make a mistake and not get benched, doesn't get bent out of shape about it. Older players have been around longer and have earned longer leashes. Younger players are learning and developing and penalizing them for mistakes can push them to grow as players.

I'd be lying if I said I'm totally for it in every case. I think Vanek, for example, had way too long a leash this season. But more trust for the veterans has always been a thing, with every single NHL coach. So I try not to stress about it anymore.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Except everyone on this team makes boneheaded turnovers. Cant bench the whole team.

53 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I think we as fans tend to do a lot of projecting and assuming when it comes to how the players themselves actually feel about stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if the average young player, on seeing an older player make a mistake and not get benched, doesn't get bent out of shape about it. Older players have been around longer and have earned longer leashes. Younger players are learning and developing and penalizing them for mistakes can push them to grow as players.

I'd be lying if I said I'm totally for it in every case. I think Vanek, for example, had way too long a leash this season. But more trust for the veterans has always been a thing, with every single NHL coach. So I try not to stress about it anymore.

This.

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Except everyone on this team makes boneheaded turnovers. Cant bench the whole team.

Not every game. That's my point. Vanek is having a bad game? Sit his ass. Athanasiou is having a bad game. Sit his ass.

57 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I DON'T GIVE A S*** HOW THE PLAYERS FEEL ABOUT IT! IT ONLY MATTERS HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT!... And I want equal treatment of players, no matter the age... end rant...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Not every game. That's my point. Vanek is having a bad game? Sit his ass. Athanasiou is having a bad game. Sit his ass.

I DON'T GIVE A S*** HOW THE PLAYERS FEEL ABOUT IT! IT ONLY MATTERS HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT!... And I want equal treatment of players, no matter the age... end rant...

Life isn't fair, respect your elders

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Not to cherry pick this conversation, but tbf that seems like a good way for a coach to end up without a job...

Happens in every sport. If the players quit on you it's your job on the line, not theirs. 

43 minutes ago, Prolix said:

Not to cherry pick this conversation, but tbf that seems like a good way for a coach to end up without a job...

Happens in every sport. If the players quit on you it's your job on the line, not theirs. 

Yeah coach at that level has got to be 80% just managing egos

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yeah coach at that level has got to be 80% just managing egos

It really is true, you can't treat the vets the exact same as the kids, and if you have stars on your team, good luck keeping them if you are on their asses the same way you are riding some rookie. Not saying vets get a pass, but its not the same. 

Look at the Detroit Lions this year, Matt Patricia came in with a "I dont care who you are" attitude and pushed the vets the same as the kids, and it led to an awful season and a toxic clubhouse. Maybe things turn around, but if you dont have the respect of the vets, you're screwed as a coach. I think its even harder when you are a young coach like Blashill.

Edited by kliq

4 minutes ago, kliq said:

It really is true, you can't treat the vets the exact same as the kids, and if you have stars on your team, good luck keeping them if you are on their asses the same way you are riding some rookie. Not saying vets get a pass, but its not the same. 

Look at the Detroit Lions this year, Matt Patricia came in with a "I dont care who you are" attitude and pushed the vets the same as the kids, and it led to an awful season and a toxic clubhouse. Maybe things turn around, but if you dont have the respect of the vets, your screwed as a coach. I think its even harder when you are a young coach like Blashill.

Exactly. "treat everyone exactly the same" looks nice on paper, but like most things in life it doesn't actually work that way.